Better squat, Rippetoe or Squat Rx?

I just think it's information overload. And he spends several minutes talking about how the bar should be centered/balanced on your back, not tilted to one side. No shit!

The whole (high bar box squats walked out from a monolift) setup is just so bizarre. No one would do that in real life, and it could confuse beginners.

Well he was just "pretending" that it was a normal squat rack/power rack and that people weren't going to have access to a monolift so they should learn to step back. He said that several times I think.

Well he was just "pretending" that it was a normal squat rack/power rack and that people weren't going to have access to a monolift so they should learn to step back. He said that several times I think.

I had similar thoughts. Would most beginners even know what a monolift is?

and what he calls "hip drive" is basically the opposite. If you are driving your hips up instead of forward, you're driving with the legs. Annoys me each time I watch it.

Yes, I can't get past this. I think if you need to cue something, it is hips forward, not hips up. "Hips up" is going to lead so many people to GMing it.

I just think it's information overload. And he spends several minutes talking about how the bar should be centered/balanced on your back, not tilted to one side. No shit!

The whole (high bar box squats walked out from a monolift) setup is just so bizarre. No one would do that in real life, and it could confuse beginners.

I walked out squats (box) of the monolift just the other day. Had no one to work the release.

+4 or wherever we're at for Rip's hip drive cue leading a beginner to gm. Its a poor method to teach the back squat, and I wouldn't refer anyone to his instructional videos /SS to learn to squat.

With all the criticism of Rip's technique Im wondering if trying to follow Rip's instructions is whats causing me to occasionally hurt my abs, they get like a searing burn in them sometimes down near the front of my hip bone and it doesnt happen every weight increase or work out, so its completely unpredictable.

I was going to make a form video today because it happened slightly on wed, but I felt it starting again today, so I decided better to wait until monday and try again to make the form video when Im more healed up :/ Hadnt had it in a while but suddenly today it came back again. Anyways, maybe Ill back off the weight a little and try the other instruction method as well.

With all the criticism of Rip's technique Im wondering if trying to follow Rip's instructions is whats causing me to occasionally hurt my abs, they get like a searing burn in them sometimes down near the front of my hip bone and it doesnt happen every weight increase or work out, so its completely unpredictable.

I was going to make a form video today because it happened slightly on wed, but I felt it starting again today, so I decided better to wait until monday and try again to make the form video when Im more healed up :/ Hadnt had it in a while but suddenly today it came back again. Anyways, maybe Ill back off the weight a little and try the other instruction method as well.

I used to occasionally experience this, it never turned into anything major but i think it may come from not properly engaging the abs. Make sure you're pushing your abs out to brace properly.

A few years ago, disparaging the name of Rippetoe in such a manner would have been grounds for public stoning. My, how far we've come.

I used to occasionally experience this, it never turned into anything major but i think it may come from not properly engaging the abs. Make sure you're pushing your abs out to brace properly.

Wow, glad Ive finally found someone else who knows what Im talking about! I do flex my abs on each rep, but I guess I dont "push out" while Im flexing, just tighten. Ill try pushing out with it monday :)

I'm not a huge fan of Rippetoes technique on Squat or Press.

I agree. I started squatting as he teaches and I felt out of whack. Obviously there are correct mechanics to the squat, but I believe the smaller intricacies should be tailored to the individual.

Chinese lifters don't need power racks. Just squat stands. If you die from failing a squat, you are honored as a revolutionary martyr.

Death by Squatr is a good way to go

Wow, glad Ive finally found someone else who knows what Im talking about! I do flex my abs on each rep, but I guess I dont "push out" while Im flexing, just tighten. Ill try pushing out with it monday :)

Actively pushing out just feels to me like a hernia in the making. I don't know if you're using a belt or not, but when I wear a belt I just flex my midsection like I'm about to get punched there and that feels the most stable.

A few years ago, disparaging the name of Rippetoe in such a manner would have been grounds for public stoning. My, how far we've come.

Yeah. It has me surprised, too. I'm wondering, is Starting Strength still seen as the best program for beginners, or has Rip's programming advice gone out of vogue along with his technique advice?

Yeah. It has me surprised, too. I'm wondering, is Starting Strength still seen as the best program for beginners, or has Rip's programming advice gone out of vogue along with his technique advice?

I don't think anyone has issue with the programming. I think its more an issue of his advice on cuing.

Yeah it definitely scared me a bit, I thought a hernia was coming. It happened fairly often too. It hasn't bothered me in a long time though, but I also squat with a belt now which may or may not help.

Yes, I can't get past this. I think if you need to cue something, it is hips forward, not hips up. "Hips up" is going to lead so many people to GMing it.

So should I be trying to thrust my hips forward [like i'm humping] instead? Can someone elaborate on this because I never see squatters doing this.

Back