Better potential success in MMA: prime Riner vs prime Karelin?

Riner would osoto gari people into a dominant postion and either submit them with armlocks/choke - or just pound the shit out of them. Does Karelin have a well developed osoto gari defence?

tumblr_ncui23yO9z1tfrx5ho1_400.gif

Too bad no one respects Judo because Murican rassling and Chael said so. Wrestlers with no submissions will dominate better than Judoka etc
Fedor is a "wrestler" despite Judo being incorporated in Sambo and he competed in Judo first. Khabib is a "wrestler" despite him using a ton of Judo and competed there first etc.

Too bad no one respects Judo because Murican rassling and Chael said so. Wrestlers with no submissions will dominate better than Judoka etc
Fedor is a "wrestler" despite Judo being incorporated in Sambo and he competed in Judo first. Khabib is a "wrestler" despite him using a ton of Judo and competed there first etc.

That's not exactly true, I'm just stating that it is only a means to an end. I have no doubt Riner would have some highlight reel bitch tosses of opponents, but I male MMA sub defense and the ability to not be controlled on the ground for long periods have come a long way.

I would bet that, at minimum, they would have the same success as Lesnar. If either of them managed to pick up striking or learned to tolerate getting hit in the face they'd do even better. And Riner has subs at the highest levels, so he's always going to be dangerous.

That's not exactly true, I'm just stating that it is only a means to an end. I have no doubt Riner would have some highlight reel bitch tosses of opponents, but I male MMA sub defense and the ability to not be controlled on the ground for long periods have come a long way.

There are legit criticisms of Judo as a crossover. I do not see many of them in this thread.

Wrestling guys getting signed at 0-0 are prospects despite them probably getting subbed round one if they aren't Sambo guys. You mention a Judoka and it is like "lel BJJ is better , wrestlers would kill him" etc.

We don't have that much to go by, Nastula was a gold medalist I believe but he came into MMA at 35 and was immediately thrown to the wolves. I remember even Aleksander dealing with his grappling fairly well, although honestly I barely fucking remember anything. I don't even think I saw his other fights aside from Aleks. Nastula was caught for steroids at some point too but I don't blame him at his age coming into MMA.

Fedor was primary a judoka until he switched to MMA and combat sambo after not qualifying for the Olympic's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back