Movies Better Director: James Cameron vs David Fincher

Cameron vs Fincher

• Total voters
Aliens... Out of all of his work, is a definite masterpiece.

A film that literally holds up today better than anything out there of the genre and better than many many other films in other similar genres.

The GOAT is Cameron and Aliens is his best.
I disagree. I feel that it figuratively hold up.

I like Fincher's technical style. It's not for everybody, but I like all the effects that he uses. Interestingly enough, his first big movie was Alien 3.

Like someone else said earlier, Aliens is a highly entertaining film, but we're not talking great like Academy Award great. It just seems like Cameron make more entertaining movies than great movies.

Marty absolutely destroys him and Ridley Scott beats him too. Alien is a much better film than Aliens.

I'd say Cameron because he has Aliens. Which is in the top 5 greatest movies of all time imo.

I like Fincher but hes never made anything on the level of T2 or Aliens.

Like someone else said earlier, Aliens is a highly entertaining film, but we're not talking great like Academy Award great. It just seems like Cameron make more entertaining movies than great movies.

Aliens was nominated for 7 Academy Awards, winning two for Sound Effects and Visual Effects. Also, one of the nominations was for Sigourney Weaver for Best Actress which was pretty much unheard of at the time. It was extremely rare for a Sci-Fi/Horror/Action movie to garner acting nods, but she broke that ceiling with a truly amazing performance.

It's only close if you delete Cameron's first... oh... 10 movies.

Zodiac/Fight Club/Gone Girl/The Social Network/The Game are my favorite Fincher movies.

T1/T2/Aliens/True Lies/Titanic are my favorite Cameron movies.

Both are great directors. I can't choose.

Upon watching Aliens, I am changing my vote to Cameron. A huge step up from Scott's slow burn horror film.

This is worse than T2 but better than T1.

9/10, amazing film!
I disagree with calling it a huge step up from alien, but agree its a classic

Upon watching Aliens, I am changing my vote to Cameron. A huge step up from Scott's slow burn horror film.

This is worse than T2 but better than T1.

9/10, amazing film!
Untitled-5.jpg

Fincher, by far. While, i like Cameron a lot, he's more of a blockbuster guy, when it comes to the simple act of staging a scene, he crafts a lovely piece of drama, epic sci-fi scenes and set pieces, and camera motion.

Fincher is also a master of cinematography, using a color palette like no one else, the dark, grey and blue tones, whereas Cameron has a good but not memorable visual style with orange or blue, despite having good cinematographers.

For the films themselves, I wasn't a fan of Panic Room or Benjamin Button, but i love Seven, Gone Girl, Zodiac, The Social Network... and found The Game interesting, from a directorial standpoint.

I have to be honest and say that of the Cameron' films I've seen all of them except his documentaries. I loved Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens was great, True Lies was fun and i was mildly entertained by Titanic and The Abyss. Avatar was meh.

This video is probably surface level, but shows his incredible skill and how his films are stylized.

To sum up, Fincher is an interesting filmmaker, and even though I can't say he is the best, I actively think Cameron's directing while being completely focused and excellent in action scenes, doesn’t have the same artistry or technical craft. Fincher creates iconic images, while Cameron has yet to compose a shot I can even draw up from memory.

I am shocked at poll results.

Back