Movies Better Director: James Cameron vs David Fincher

Cameron vs Fincher

• Total voters
Doesn’t get any better than Finch. People can have their favorite director, and there are many extraordinary artists to choose from, Cameron certainly among them; but as far as the best, if film direction could somehow be quantified into something objectively measurable, David Fincher is the best to ever do it.

Cameron's body of work is more impressive to me.

Last edited:
Cameron's body is more impressive to me.

james_cameron_3d.jpg

Cameron:
Terminator
Aliens
Abyss
Terminator 2
True Lies
Titanic

Nolan:
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk

Cameron:
Terminator
Aliens
Abyss
Terminator 2
True Lies
Titanic

Nolan:
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Dunkirk
Nothing Nolan did compares to T2 or Aliens

Also some of y’all are way overrating aliens. It’s a good movie but it’s not some greatest ever film

It helps to know some of the backstory. Imagine having only directed 1 real film, and getting the job to follow up Ridley Scott's Alien. And Cameron faced a hostile crew every day on that shoot. They were all british, loved Ridley, and had no idea who Cameron was. And didn't like or respect him at all. He even set up a screening of The Terminator for the crew, so they could see he knew what he was doing....but nobody showed up to watch it. He had to fire somebody (I forget who but I think it might've been his cinematographer) because they wouldn't listen to him. And James Horner (composer) had so little time he wasn't happy with his score for Aliens (it ended up receiving an Oscar nomination anyway). He and Cameron got into it so much that Horner wouldn't come back to work with him until Titanic (one of the best scores of all time).

It's really impressive that film turned out as good as it did. Under so much pressure and hostility, for a guy that was a directing noob. That's pretty rare.

Cameron is one of the great directors of all time.

Fincher.. i'm not even sure if i'd call him great. Maybe just not my type of movies.

So cameron is definitely a class above.

Didn't fincher direct Benjamin Button? That alone loses him this fight.

His worst is way worse than Cameron's worst.

And his best is inferior to Cameron's best

Didn't fincher direct Benjamin Button? That alone loses him this fight.

His worst is way worse than Cameron's worst.

And his best is inferior to Cameron's best
So which are their best?

So which are their best?
Cameron's best would be aliens, T2, and true lies

Fincher's best would be seven and gone girl.
Seven is fantastic but gone girl was just pretty good. Same with zodiac

think i prefer more of finchers movies

I prefer Fincher. More interesting work.

Cameron never did an unnecessary remake so he wins by default.

Back