• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best welterweight of the three, Sean Brady, JDM, or Machado Garry?

hswrestler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
We've seen shaky performances from all three of the supposed new crop of 170ers coming up but they all have clear strengths which carried them into the top 5. Personally I think Sean Brady has the best chance as the current frontrunners like Leon and Shavkat haven't faced a grappler as good as he is although he does need to tighten up his cardio a lot.

Ian. I mean, JDM had 2 split decisions the past year. One against a guy who isn't even ranked.

JDM is a great finisher who's defensively savvy on the ground. Ian Gary even though he is winning has not looked like a world beater.

Lol at Brady
Considering JDM got controlled by Hafez and Burns, I'd favor Brady head to head against JDM but its totally possible that JDM ends up going further with his career.
Garry is most well rounded of the 3. And I think he's the best.
Yah I agree that Garry has the most complete skillset of the three. I think JDM has a bit of a power and boxing advantage but is worse on the ground and with TDD. Meanwhile, Brady is the best grappler in the division but has low stamina and his striking is pretty mediocre.

They all are pretty good but not likely champ material. JDM can sling em but lost to some dude who’s full time job waz fry guy at Burger King. Brady is a lesser version of Matt Hughes and unfortunately for him it’s 2024 rather than 04’. Garry is at best another Darren Till but without the fans and KO over a legend. Till did get a shitle tot though 🤔

Brady if his chin/cardio wasn't suspect, so Garry. I can't call someone best of when they got TKOd by Belal and went life and death with Michael Chiesa.

All three gets slaugthered by Shavkat.

Brady if his chin/cardio wasn't suspect, so Garry.

All three gets slaugthered by Shavkat.
Yah Brady's cardio is a huge concern and his striking defense isn't the best either. While I think all three would lose to Shavkat, Brady at least has the best chance because unlike the others he at least has one skillset he does better than shavkat. We haven't seen Shavkat against a grapple heavy gameplan yet and Brady is probably the best grappler in the division now.

JDM by a country mile and this is coming from a garry supporter. I can see JDM beating everyone at welterweight, his striking is top 3, his grappling knowledge is elite, Craig jones speaks very highly of him too, I can’t see brady or Garry doing what JDm does, atleast not right now for garry with his deteriorating physique.

Garry has better wins than Brady, hasn’t been tko’d by belal, lol, and has a stronger instinct for the kill. Better striking, working grappling with maia and Charles too

Brady is huge and a great grappler but isn’t the best on the feet and I don’t think he would be able to close the distance on garry, and wouldn’t be able to take JDM down reliably and if he does wouldn’t be able to submit him

Unfortunately, Garry.
I think JDM has the skills but chooses to do dumb shit in fights that costs him. Garry actually does gameplan well. He'll make a fight boring and win if he has too, which isn't going to win any fans...

1. JDM 2. Garry 3. Brady
Ian enjoys a height and reach advantage most of the time. His grappling is rudimentary. He has a great chin.

Sean Brady has the best grappling of the 3 and surprised me with how easily he tangled Gastelum up on the ground but maybe that had something to do with how Kelvin cuts weight.

JDM i think is by far the most well rounded and looks highly competent everywhere. His last 3 fights were tough fights because they were tough guys. JDM unfortunately might be one of the smaller welterweights (correct me if I'm wrong). Possibly worst fight iQ of the 3. I'd say he's still my favourite to watch of the 3. I don't see Ian getting past Belal, Leon, Shavkat. I could see JDM maybe getting past Belal.

Interestingly, none of them have been tested by common opponents in UFC (until Brady fights Burns).
Sean & Jack have faced much more fearsome grapplers where as Ian has never been matched with any yet, for good UFC reasons.

Last edited:
Jack
Brady
Ian

I think Jack is the best overall when you look at how they match up with the rest of the WWs in the division..... But I think Brady is a bad style matchup for him and probably subs him

Back