Best Way to Kill Ants?

For the past few weeks, I've been having a serious problem with ants in my home. I wanted to know what was the best way to get rid of these pests, so I did a little bit of research and noticed liquid baits seem to be the most effective. I bought a bottle of Terro Ant Killer and placed drops outside where the ant nest seems to be. The first day I put the drops, the ants swarmed it pretty quickly. The next day I still see ants, but as many, so I placed more drops. The ants didn't seem as receptive to it as day 1, but some ants still started eating the stuff. Now it's day 3, and there are still ants. I've heard stories of this bait getting rid of ants in just a day! Is Terro overrated, or am I being too impatient? Any suggestions on how to deal with ant nests?

64o6mp.jpg

You're being impatient. I use the actually traps with this stuff in them. It takes about 5 days for the traps. They work like a charm. I gotta change them out though. Also the ants bring it back to colony, its a process to say the least.

Find the mound and frac it.

I had a problem with those damn crazy ants when they first started showing up everywhere.

They would move conventional ant poison (ortho etc) and stack that shit up away from the mound opening.

So I started trying gas and all kinds of shot. New openings would just pop up a few feet away.

Their underground nests are huge so

I got a grounding rod from the garage and shoved it down into the ground as far as I could and hammered it down some more(about 3’)

Took a 1/2” pipe from hardware store and capped one end, drilled some holes from the bottom up to about 2’

Put a valve and fitting on the end and shoved it into the pilot hole I made all the way to the bottom, hooked to air compressor and hit it.

This opened up fractures all through thier shit.

Then filled the pipe with liquid poison , put the air hose back on and injected that shit into thier layer.

Mother fackers were no more.

That was two years ago, starting to see a few ants outside again here and there. Gonna have to find the mound and do it again.

Maybe I’ll video it this time.
That's fucking awesome.

Fak!!!!!!

So I get up to go do some stuff and leave my coffee on the back porch.

Faking crazy Ants in my coffee now, sat out on the porch for maybe 10 minutes without me out there.

Never had this happen before, THANKS OP!

Anyway for sherdogs viewing pleasure I have decide to do a time lapse video of these ants and see how long and if these bastards will even go to the borax honey mixture talked about in this thread. So I’m going to leave the coffee cup with ants on it in the frame and put the borax mixture next to it.

Im going to let the time lapse run for a good while , then edit upload and post so it won’t be immediate but by tonight sometime at the latest you guys will have a time lapse of these crazy ants that are plaguing the south now.

Nothing I have used so far has worked besides hunting down thier base of operations and fracing those bastards.

Let’s test the borax method shall we?

The thing is with these bastards is they seem to operate independently of the group, no line no trail. They are sneaky fucks!!

Let’s kill these fuckers!!

I just restarted the time lapse, I had it going one shot every ten seconds thinking these fucks would move quickly from
The coffee to the borax honey mixture, nope.
Put a dab of honey in front of the cup, still nope.

Changed the time lapse to one shot a minute, will speed it up again once these fucks find it.

I mean it’s honey right next to a coffee cup they are already on? Normal ants would have been up in that shit already!!

These fucks are sneaky, dealing with crazy ants is NOT like fucking with normal ants.

Anyway
Nikon d3 shooting with a 50 1.4, with a Hoya 4x mag ring for macro should work out ok. These ants are SMALL , would rather have a wider shot for the scene more but you wouldn’t be able to see them if so. And there is no line they form.

I’ll keep messing with the set up , but so far these fucks seem to prefer coffee over honey.

If he has crazy ants you can’t use conventional methods on those son of a bitches like our normal US ants and Fire ants.

Fracing thier hive infastructure was the only way I successfully killed off these fucks for two years and they are back now.

If you ever get these bastards good luck with your orange disks lol

The ants are not attracted to ordinary ant baits, and are not controlled by over-the-counter pesticides,[3][25] and are harder to fully exterminate than many other species because their colonies have multiple queens.[6] In June 2008, the United States Environmental Protection Agency granted temporary approval for the use of fipronil, an antitermite agent, to control this ant. Its use is currently restricted to 27 counties.[26][27]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasberry_crazy_ant
What sins did you commit to bring on this particular plague?

Scatter some granular insecticide around the house. I also spray ortho under the baseboards throughout.

i used an insect border spray from home depot, keeps ants out for years

So these son of a bitches are still ignoring the honey on the table. They are walking right past it to get to the coffee cup, the Fak??

They were on that coffee in minutes and that honey has been there over an hour??

Ok, still no ants In the honey / boric acid mixture or on the straight honey on the table.

Still ants on the coffee cup, going to remove the coffee cup and see if they search and find the honey etc they are walking right by it.

Must be because they have locked into the coffee and don’t care will see if removing it changes anything.

Find the mound and frac it.

I had a problem with those damn crazy ants when they first started showing up everywhere.

They would move conventional ant poison (ortho etc) and stack that shit up away from the mound opening.

So I started trying gas and all kinds of shot. New openings would just pop up a few feet away.

Their underground nests are huge so

I got a grounding rod from the garage and shoved it down into the ground as far as I could and hammered it down some more(about 3’)

Took a 1/2” pipe from hardware store and capped one end, drilled some holes from the bottom up to about 2’

Put a valve and fitting on the end and shoved it into the pilot hole I made all the way to the bottom, hooked to air compressor and hit it.

This opened up fractures all through thier shit.

Then filled the pipe with liquid poison , put the air hose back on and injected that shit into thier layer.

Mother fackers were no more.

That was two years ago, starting to see a few ants outside again here and there. Gonna have to find the mound and do it again.

Maybe I’ll video it this time.
This is Sherdog, do you really expect these guys to have that kind of mechanical knowledge? Lol I misread your post at first and thought you said you have to frag them. I was expecting some kind of explosive device and a visit from the ATF.

This is Sherdog, do you really expect these guys to have that kind of mechanical knowledge? Lol I misread your post at first and thought you said you have to frag them. I was expecting some kind of explosive device and a visit from the ATF.

From the “basic house tool “ thread it sounds like some people run a full machine shop out of their shit lol.

Moved coffee cup, ants went to honey in under 5 minutes on the table and were starting up the honey drip down the side of the jar.

Dotted some honey mixture with the boric acid around it to see if they went to it too.

Ants left the honey and are now walking around the table looking for other food sources.

These faking crazy ants are no joke.

Moved coffee cup, ants went to honey in under 5 minutes on the table and were starting up the honey drip down the side of the jar.

Dotted some honey mixture with the boric acid around it to see if they went to it too.

Ants left the honey and are now walking around the table looking for other food sources.

These faking crazy ants are no joke.
I think your mistake was giving them the pure honey first. They got a taste of the good stuff and once you tried giving them the mixture, they got turned off. Maybe put some extra sugar in the mixture to peak their interest.

Back