Best striking defense in mma history?

Anderson Silva had arguably one of the best head movements when he chose to actually use it. A lot of people use the Franklin or Forest fight as an example but I feel like those fights don't give Silva's defense justice considering how bad they lunged and threw their punches at him, (Specifically Forest)

I'd argue that Silva's defense and general striking prowess really shined against Adesanya. Silva, way past his prime at 46 years old gave Adesanya a competitive fight, making a talented kickboxer, half his age miss while landing some notable shots of on his own throughout the fight.

I would also throw in Mark Hunt out there. Granted of course he's nowhere near as slick as Silva of course, but his defense is often overshadowed by his chin and power. Hunt has shown a lot of savvy tricks throughout his career, most notably against Struve, Bigfoot, Lewis and even Overeem 2. He's very good at parrying jabs, slipping punches, rolling with them. He doesn't move a whole lot to make punches miss. He's a very technical striker when he wants to be, other times he just swings for the fences and gets knocked out by Manhoef.

More recently, Porier has to be in that conversation as well. He's very loose and his striking just flows along with his defense. It's a treat to watch.

Dustin porier has a wide margin of defensive options due to his stone wall guard and philly shell.
He has the options, but he gets hit a lot cause he likes to throw down. Nice addition though, many don't think of Poirier as a thinking fighter.

Imo someone like Wonderboy is more fitting of this title. He's constantly at different striking ranges and engaging in exchanges where he either gets the better of his opponent or has them swinging at air.
God, striking was laughable, horrible during those times. Almost comedic.
It’s more telling about how bad striking was back then, than about striking defense, which was just as bad.
And people tell us there’s no evolution in the sport compared to 2005-2010 to today lol
{<redford}

For fucks sake, so many dumb answers.

No, I don't consider Silva the GOAT, but he has the best striking defense ever in MMA.
By far... it is not even a contest.
Until his lost to Weidman, he had:
- 37 MMA fights (that's a lot);
- 4 losses; I may be wrong but all of them didn't evolve losing by striking;
- 16 UFC fights, all wins
- I don't remember having one single round in UFC where he lost due to striking
- I don't remember him having face damage in those fights

Now, the answers here:
- Khabib - lol, most of his fights went to the ground
- Jones - top striking defense, but only 28 fights, 3 of them were controversial wins, his face looked fucked up/destroyed/raped after Gus 1 (I don't remember seeing this in Silva);
- Adesanya - nope, too few fights and he got fucked up in the Gas fight. Also, he lost due to striking in the Jan fight.
- Gane - too few fights
- Poirier - nope, he got finished by striking in his prime
- other dumb answers

Aldo and Moose have top striking but not as good as Silva, though.

It's Silva, deal with it!

And is not a "who is the goat" type of question, it's pretty fucking clear.

It's like asking who is the best bjj guy in MMA at HW. It's not a contest, it's Werdum.

Or who is the sexiest fighter. Not a contest. KTNXBYE

Edit: no homo

tumblr_nyafktiPxV1qa42jro1_1280.jpg
Definitely homo lol. I conferred with Matt Damon and he agrees.

quinton-jackson_chuck-liddell.gif

Not saying that Rampage was superior in the striking defense art, but that was beautiful. First thing that popped up when I read the title.
That wasn't defense lmao. He got tagged in the body, and Chuck was super dumb going for a dumb ass punch like that while moving towards Rampage's power hand. Hackleman was fucking pissed after the fight lol.

Jones has fought the best of the best, has 11 title defenses is 27-1-1 and has never been dropped. This forum may not like him, but his defense is top tier.

Aldo is always tremendously underrated when this question pops up. I think it’s either Aldo or Anderson.

Jones’ defense improved in recent years but he’s still mostly just insulated by his reach.

this. i don't know how guys are saying Khabib and GSP. this should be for only guys who actually have the striking defense percentage because of actual strikes parried/dodge/blocked not for guys who have a good percentage because they put people into positions that they can't even strike back from. that's not good striking defense that's good wrestling and fight IQ.

Once again the MMA community's default answer is Jones like a bunch of fucking programmed bots, not surprised.

Jones got fuked up, bruised, bloodied, battered and stretchered against Gus. Outboxed by short stubby fat Cormier twice. Arguably lost to Santos and Reyes.

Jones defence if you can call it that was his ridiculous height, reach and eye pokes against opponents who were 99% much smaller than him.

Apartheid Adesanya looked like a pinata after the Gastelum fight, lips so big it made those females in to cosmetic lip enhancements envious.

LOL at anyone saying GSP, the guy who famously TAPPED to strikes from a MIDGET. He looked like he dragged his face through WW2 after Hendricks was done with him and has been bruised and marked up in multiple fights.

Anderson Silva is a good answer and even then his opponents just seemed like a bunch of Euro bums in the striking department to use a boxing term. One of his greatest highlights was against Forest Griffin who looked like a plodding Frankenstein. A left hook from a wrestler changed his career for ever.

Gegard Mousasi has been fighting for about 19 years ( just turned 36- wow), has fought over 4 weight classes, successfully in every top promotion , has never been ko-ed ( one sloppy tko...and he was making his way to his knees at that) and it took 15 years for someone to put damage to his face .... and that punch came from the clouds.
I guess we should start with him.

Prime Andy, of course .

Last edited:
GSP 73,1%
Mr Wonderful 72,3%
Bader 71,8%

Personally I would go with
BW Cruz
MW Anderson, apart from Belfort he never faced a great striker though. And that one ended quick.
Izzy is just good because of his size advantage

Mousasi, Anderson and maybe Khabib come to mind. Phil Davis also has great defence
I really cant put khabib in group cause of style, longevity ( inc) but spot fucking on with opening sentence. If bhibster stayed around and saw more of his stand up game , probably wouldve been up there.

Machida...until they started to pay him 100K for each finish
Lyoto WAS definitely up there as a 99% counter striker but Rua showed if u got inside , the integrity of his defense took a hit ..... just like WB.

Back