Best LHW during 2001-2006 (AKA-Pride vs UFC era)

Just to throw in a curveball, Ortiz went 9-2 from 2001-2006, not including his 2000 win over most peoples #1 Wanderlei Silva. Defended his UFC belt 4 times in that span and had notable wins over Vitor Belfort, Forrest Griffin, Ken Shamrock x 3, and Evan Tanner. Eh eh? Anyone?

EDIT: I don't think he's #1. Just wondering what people think. I think it goes:
#1 Chuck Liddell
#2 Wanderlei Silva
#3 Shogun Rua
#4 Tito Ortiz
#5 Rampage Jackson
#6 Randy Couture

Last edited:
Tough to say because Rampage always beats Chuck and Wandy beats Rampage, but i think Chuck and Randy can beat Wandy

2004 Randy beats everyone on that list head to head.

2006 shogun is #1 lhw until the arrival of Jones.

Wanderlei accomplished the most over the time period given.

I have to agree with this.

Was going to say Randy was beating top fighters at LHW and HW but Wand "beat" Hunt and fought Cro Cop a couple times.

Shogun debut in 02 and didn't become a star until 05. The 4 mentioned were the top dogs through out the time frame given. Shogun emerged at the end, not the beginning to the end. If that makes sense.
Till 2005 where he had arguably the best year of any fighter ever and took out a bunch of the best LHW ever that year lol. Hate to break it to you buddy but Shoguns 2005 puts him above everyone on your list other then Sandy for that time frame.

Till 2005 where he had arguably the best year of any fighter ever and took out a bunch of the best LHW ever that year lol. Hate to break it to you buddy but Shoguns 2005 puts him above everyone on your list other then Sandy for that time frame.

I hate to break it to you but this isn't my list or my thread.
Pay attention.

Wand and in 2005/2006 I think it was Shogun.

Best resume belonged to Wand.

Best, as in "would have beaten any other LHW from 2001-2006" was Shogun. At least, Shogun of 2005-6.

No Tito? Fail poll

Tito had the record title defences in the UFC b4 Jones.
He also has a win over Wandy.
Hate him all u like but it not a complete poll without him.

No Tito? Fail poll

Tito had the record title defences in the UFC b4 Jones.
He also has a win over Wandy.
Hate him all u like but it not a complete poll without him.

Would you give your vote to Tito if he was on this poll?

Wanderlei.

Only one loss at LHW - which he avenged shortly thereafter (even though the decision was kinda shady).

No I would not but he has to be considered.

I am commenting objectively.

I can see your point as Randy is on that list as well but personally I'd narrow this poll down to Wand, Chuck, Shogun and Rampage.

The people have spoken and its highly in favor of Wanderlei.....as it should be

Shogun
Wand
Chuck
Page
Couture

05 Shogun alone eclipses Chuck & Wands 00-06

Liddel
Silva
Couture
Rampage

Back