Best LHW during 2001-2006 (AKA-Pride vs UFC era)

chuck > wand

shogun should be the best amongst that group

Wanderlei by a massive margin here.

chuck > wand

shogun should be the best amongst that group

Yah....but the timeline is from 2001 to 2006.....I would agree if it was from 2001 to 2011...pre Jones era.

Wand>Chuck......Wanderlei was ranked #1 in the world at LHW all rankings for this entire period and was champ for 6 years.

Yah....but the timeline is from 2001 to 2006.....I would agree if it was from 2001 to 2011...pre Jones era.

Wand>Chuck......Wanderlei was ranked #1 in the world at LHW all rankings for this entire period and was champ for 6 years.

shogun's 2005 is better than everything and anything that all the other guys did during that time

chuck beat wand when they were both at similar stages in their careers

now looking back in hindsight it's almost likely that wand was .... during pride (not that i really care about that)

rankings don't mean anything

Shogun among that time, though like TS said it was late in the time.

Still, though, Shogun at his peak during those years beats the hell out of any version of all four of them.

shogun's 2005 is better than everything and anything that all the other guys did during that time

chuck beat wand when they were both at similar stages in their careers

now looking back in hindsight it's almost likely that wand was .... during pride (not that i really care about that)

rankings don't mean anything

Wand won the 2003 MW GP....he beat Saku and Rampage in that GP. Granted that Shoguns GP was more impressive no question...more fights, better opponents.......Wand still has a GP title in addition to being MW champ for 6 years.

Wanderlei during that run...beat Ramapge 2x, Saku 3x, Arona, Mezger, Hendo, in addition to obliterating a few other guys. That is more impressive then Shoguns 2005...sorry. Wand won...20 fights during that run.

Chuck did beat wand....but one fight doesn't define who is greater over a span of that time. Rampage beat CHuck 2x..so what.

I gotta go with Wand out of this group.....but if its 2001 to 2011...full decade prior to Jones its Shogun all the way.

Shogun among that time, though like TS said it was late in the time.

Still, though, Shogun at his peak during those years beats the hell out of any version of all four of them.

Wand>Shogun.....gym fight over the pitbull.

I'm just going to say Sukraba.... cuz the man was sponsored by "Water"

Wand won the 2003 MW GP....he beat Saku and Rampage in that GP. Granted that Shoguns GP was more impressive no question...more fights, better opponents.......Wand still has a GP title in addition to being MW champ for 6 years.

Wanderlei during that run...beat Ramapge 2x, Saku 3x, Arona, Mezger, Hendo, in addition to obliterating a few other guys. That is more impressive then Shoguns 2005...sorry. Wand won...20 fights during that run.

Chuck did beat wand....but one fight doesn't define who is greater over a span of that time. Rampage beat CHuck 2x..so what.

I gotta go with Wand out of this group.....but if its 2001 to 2011...full decade prior to Jones its Shogun all the way.

In the year 2006BJ, before jones.

Wand
Rampage
Chuck
Randy

in that order

but Prime Shogun was better than all of them

I can see Chuck and Wand beating each other, depending on the night and certainly depending on if it was in Pride or UFC
I can see Randy beating Wand in the cage, but Wand beating Randy in Pride
I cannot see Randy beating Rampage in the UFC or in Pride.
I think Rampage beats Chuck most occasions, but loses to Wand in Pride most occasions

I think Shogun beats most of the above in either arena

he was fed a steady diet of undeserving fighters

he didn't really beat arona, arona beat him first anyway

Wand>Shogun.....gym fight over the pitbull.

This is largely unsubstantiated, and not to mention he might've caught Mauricio early on. After all Shogun went pro when Wanderlei was 24 fights into his career.

2005 Shogun defends his pitbull's puppy. :D

No apologies from me. Your opinion is complete trash and absolute bullshit. Title defenses don't mean shit, it's who you fought and when you fought them. Tim Sylvia isn't considered a HW GOAT even with his shiny belt and was often ranked behind Nog and CroCop by a lot of people even with his belt. Tito's belt means nothing since he clearly ducked his toughest opponents.

Shogun was considered #1 even without a belt. Again, it's who and when you fought, not the belt.

Yes, Tito beat Wand and Rampage KTFO Chuck 2x, the man who K'Tito"TFO 2x! MMAth doesn't work. What are you new to MMA? No, you're clearly not. You just want to argue.

I'm a Tito fan, he's one of the guys who got me into MMA so Idk why bring this up.

And again, I only brought up Rampage because Tito was brought up. Fact is, neither deserve to be on the list because nobody would vote for them. Randy should not be on the list either. What you do at HW has nothing to do with LHW.

Exactly. Belts mean nothing if you're being protected / choosing your opponents / are in the wrong org / Big fish in a small pond / etc.

Wand was an OK win at the time. He still wasn't a huge win like he would later become and it's clear Wand isn't that big of a win without Pride rules. Kondo was ok as well, not huge. Same with Tanner, impressive the way he did it but not a huge win. Plus, those 2 were way too small for Tito. Forget the size, they were not huge wins. lol @ prime Ken Shamrock. Mezger was the Roy Nelson of the time, he can never beat a big name. Decent win but not great. Tito, had a lot of decent wins but no great wins. His best wins are probably Belfort and Griffin. Best fighter he beat was Bader.

If we're putting Tito on the list we have to add Page since he did KTFO Chuck 2x in that time period, power bombed Arona, beat Vovchanchyn, KTFO Randleman and beat a very underrated legend in Busta. Matt Lindland is also a noticeable win.

Where do I start with this...
You seriously are talking about hand selecting opponents? Some of Wands defences where against nobodies.
Kanehara, Tamura anyone?
Now no one is holding this against Wand.
I certainly am not bc most his fights were legit but it's a double standard.
Pride fighters get a free ride and UFC fighters get shat on. I have been around long enough to see this on sherdog.
As for mma math. It not about A>B>C. I also know MMA math does not work but Tito beat Wand who is one of the GOATs and get no credit.
Ppl like to write it off bc it's Tito.

Also I never argued Tito is the GOAT of the era. I am arguing the same as you.
If rampage is on the lust then so should Tito. That's what I said from my first post.
Neither are the GOAT of the era but if Rampage is on the list then it's a crime not to put Tito on it.

The poll should be chuck and wand only any way.

Frank Shamrock

opps wrong thread

Last edited:
Voted Wanderlei, however Tito should get more of a mention in this discussion, like him or not, he only really lost to Chuck and Randy during this period.

Back