Best LHW during 2001-2006 (AKA-Pride vs UFC era)

I would put Shogun but Wanderlei was dominant for longer so i picked him. He was def the Goat at that time.

Shogun, Rampage, Liddell, and Hendo were all entering their prime.

Wand was murdering and literally stomping MFs in the ring.

Peaks:

Liddell
Silvs
Couture
Rampage

This motherfucker.

wand-highlight.JPG

Strictly from '01-'06, it was Wanderlei and by quite a bit.

Silva, Liddell, Jackson, and Couture in that order.

I was gonna say Chuck, but then realized Rampage beat him, but then realized wanderlei beat him, who chuck beat. My head is spinining.

I was gonna say Chuck, but then realized Rampage beat him, but then realized wanderlei beat him, who chuck beat. My head is spinining.

Chuck, Shogun, Rampage, Hendo, and Tito are all strong candidates. But Wand clearly holds the top spot during that time.

Wanderlei was on top longer during that 2001 through 2006 time period, but Shogun became the #1 LHW at the end of that period. By the end of 2005, Shogun was the #1 LHW in the world. After a fluke loss the Coleman, Shogun again became the #1 LHW in the world in 2006, and held it again until he lost to Forest in 2007.

If we extend the OP's range from 2000 through 2007, when the UFC had completely taken over Pride, then I would give the nod to Shogun. But as it stands, I would give the nod to Wand.

12 pages, not one mention of Vitor. Yea he is a MW that fought HW, but he also fought LHW. If he hadn't problems outside fighting, GOAT, no questions.

Vitor Belfort. One of the greatest fighters ever.

Wanderlei, he fought in the league that had better fighters and more of them, he also didn't lose his belt like Chuck.

12 pages, not one mention of Vitor. Yea he is a MW that fought HW, but he also fought LHW. If he hadn't problems outside fighting, GOAT, no questions.

Vitor Belfort. One of the greatest fighters ever.

Vitor shouldn't be mentioned in this thread, there is no arguement for him being the best 205 fighter between 2001-2006.

Back