Best LHW during 2001-2006 (AKA-Pride vs UFC era)

No Tito? Fail poll

Tito had the record title defences in the UFC b4 Jones.
He also has a win over Wandy.
Hate him all u like but it not a complete poll without him.

While Tito is a top 10 all time great @ LHW, its pointless to put him on the list since its not even debatable that he is over Chuck, Wand or even Page or Couture. Page already had a better resume than Ortiz before he became UFC champ.

I mean if we're gonna put Ortiz on the list then you might as well add Vitor, Dan, Arona, Reem and Nog in there. Pretty much anyone with 2 or 3 good wins because that's how many Tito had.

Wanderlei won the 03 GP, but his form fell off late in that period. He was the most dominant during that era, but Shogun, even though he came in late, was the best. Shogun wasn't part of the 03 GP, but both Wand & Rua were part of the 05 GP, which Shogun won.

Wand...and even if Shogun wasn't there the all time frame he should be in the poll.

Chuck by tiny margin. Wanderlei had couple of bad losses.

Wanderlei. The whole reason I got into MMA was Wanderlei in that time period.

This was an awesome time in MMA, not exactly what I'd call the Golden Age (which IMO, is 1996 and prior). UFC fans were telling about how UFC fighters were better, Pride fans were telling about Pride fighters were better, and other fans just sat back and watched. Either way, we all had fun and it will probably never be repeated

The 4 argruably best LHWs from 2001-2006 were Wanderlei Silva, Quinton Jackson, Randy Couture, and Chuck Liddell.

Which one did you think was the best during this time period?

Shogun? Seriously. You forgot about him? The fuck.

Really hard to compare as we know by now that most if not all of the guys in Japan were juiced to the grills. Moreover u can't say who is the best out of that quardett as nobody could beat the other three.

IMO
Chuck would always win vs Wanderlei
Wanderlei would always beat Rampage
Rampage would always beat Chuck
And Couture could win or lose against any of those three - depending on the night.

Should've put Hendo and Tito on the list btw

While Tito is a top 10 all time great @ LHW, its pointless to put him on the list since its not even debatable that he is over Chuck, Wand or even Page or Couture. Page already had a better resume than Ortiz before he became UFC champ.

I mean if we're gonna put Ortiz on the list then you might as well add Vitor, Dan, Arona, Reem and Nog in there. Pretty much anyone with 2 or 3 good wins because that's how many Tito had.

Sorry but in my opinion what you are saying is garbage.

Tito was the UFC champ with with 5 title deferences plus he got the belt by Beating Wand during this era in question.

How is that not better then Rampage who had ZERO titles and had been Knocked out 2 times by the man Tito beat (Wand) to get the UFC title??

I get Tito is a douche, annoying and washed up beyond all measure, it does not take away the fact that he held the record for Title deference in the UFC b4 Jones at LHW and he was a bad mother fucker during his prime.

I am sorry if Tito is not on the list the Rampage should be no where near it either.

Sorry but in my opinion what you are saying is garbage.

Tito was the UFC champ with with 5 title deferences plus he got the belt by Beating Wand during this era in question.

How is that not better then Rampage who had ZERO titles and had been Knocked out 2 times by the man Tito beat (Wand) to get the UFC title??

I get Tito is a douche, annoying and washed up beyond all measure, it does not take away the fact that he held the record for Title deference in the UFC b4 Jones at LHW and he was a bad mother fucker during his prime.

I am sorry if Tito is not on the list the Rampage should be no where near it either.

I'd say Shogun and Tito should both be on the list, but if someone actually voted for Tito that would be insane. Sure, he held the belt for a long time, but he was more-or-less a paper champ. He was hand-picking opponents and ducking Chuck while Chuck was beating way better guys than the middleweights Tito was defending his title against. Chuck was the de facto champ of that division for years before Randy came down and took it from him. I mean, what are Tito's wins in that period? A win over a still-very-green Wanderlei Silva and a bogus decision against Vitor?

Look, Tito's deserves a lot of credit and at the time he felt like that guy for sure. I don't want to say his resume is bad - it's certainly not - but we have the benefit of hindsight now and with that 20/20 vision his resume just doesn't hold up among the very best fighters of that era. Rampage beat Igor, Bustamante, Randleman, and Chuck during that period. All four of them had accomplished far more than Wand had going into the Tito fight, and arguably more than Vitor had even if that hadn't been a bogus decision. And as I said, Shogun belongs on this list as well. As late as he came into it, Shogun's 2005 run is arguably more impressive than Tito's entire career. I agree with you that Tito belongs in the discussion because technically he held the belt for much of the period, but he shouldn't actually be anyone's pick and he certainly doesn't belong on the list ahead of Rampage. Beating elite fighters makes you a great fighter, not holding a belt, and Page was the one doing his work in the ring/cage.

I'd say Shogun and Tito should both be on the list, but if someone actually voted for Tito that would be insane. Sure, he held the belt for a long time, but he was more-or-less a paper champ. He was hand-picking opponents and ducking Chuck while Chuck was beating way better guys than the middleweights Tito was defending his title against. Chuck was the de facto champ of that division for years before Randy came down and took it from him. I mean, what are Tito's wins in that period? A win over a still-very-green Wanderlei Silva and a bogus decision against Vitor?

Look, Tito's deserves a lot of credit and at the time he felt like that guy for sure. I don't want to say his resume is bad - it's certainly not - but we have the benefit of hindsight now and with that 20/20 vision his resume just doesn't hold up among the very best fighters of that era. Rampage beat Igor, Bustamante, Randleman, and Chuck during that period. All four of them had accomplished far more than Wand had going into the Tito fight, and arguably more than Vitor had even if that hadn't been a bogus decision. And as I said, Shogun belongs on this list as well. As late as he came into it, Shogun's 2005 run is arguably more impressive than Tito's entire career. I agree with you that Tito belongs in the discussion because technically he held the belt for much of the period, but he shouldn't actually be anyone's pick and he certainly doesn't belong on the list ahead of Rampage. Beating elite fighters makes you a great fighter, not holding a belt, and Page was the one doing his work in the ring/cage.

serena.gif

Again I do not agree with all that you say.

Wand was hardly Green when Tito beat him.

He was 11-2 with 2 UFC bouts and 3 Pride bouts before he fought Tito.
Tito can not be a "paper" champ when he beat Wand for the belt.

Wand was experienced and got the Pride belt 18 months later and dominated the division for some time.

No one in there right mind would call Wand the paper champ if the results were reversed at that time.

I agree Tito was ducking Chuck for some time but he had decent wins as well

YuKI Kondo was an experienced fighter at 29-9-3 going into the fight with great wins over Semmy Schilt x3, Guy Mezger, Frank Shamrock, Funaki and Pete Williams.
Evan Tanner who went on to become the UFC MW champ
AND
Prime Ken Shamrock who was 25-7-2 at the time.
He already had wins over Belfort Wand and Mezger as well at this stage.

Sorry the LHW GOAT list for the the era would look like

Chuck/Wand
Randy
Tito
Rampage

Like i said If Tito is not on the list then Rampage should not be on it either and its between Chuck and Wand really anyway.

Back