Movies Best foreign films

I always presume when people ask about foreign films they mean a film not in the English language
so if I watch a movie made in my european country, shot in the native language, I am watching a foreign film.

weird to call non-american films "foreign films" if you are non american.
cause for me the best foreign film is probably Fight Club.

Most of entertainment broadcasted here is from America. People just get used to it from early childhood, and consider it as normal.

Most of entertainment broadcasted here is from America. People just get used to it, and consider it as normal.

But it's also good, because then a release of a local movie feels more special and is a big deal. People appreciate local production more that way.
the advantage is that almost all Europeans speak 3 languages by default. especially the younger ones.

so if I watch a movie made in my european country, shot in the native language, I am watching a foreign film.

Personally I would refer to it either as a (whatever country it’s made in) or movie not in the English language but people generally mean not in English when they say foreign hence no Irish or British films in the mix.

Really? That's a stretch.
dont' you speak Latvian, Russian and English?
most young people speak English by default
so it's a minimum of 2, considering the native language.
in multi ethnic societies, you'd almost always have people speaking a third.
all the people I know, that are my age or younger speak a minimum of three.

How in the hell 3 lol

Max 2

People from my country, and other smaller countries have to speek multiple languages, because of necessity (I speak Latvian, English, Russian, German, Estonian, and am learning Kazakh)- but I doubt the english, the spanish, the french, the italians, the germans and the russians give a fuck about other languages, other than their own and english. And those countries are the majority of European population, so you're right.

The soviet generation keeps russian language alive, the young ones feel more comfortable speaking english.

Last edited by a moderator:
People from my country, and other smaller countries have to speek multiple languages, because of necessity (I speak Latvian, English, Russian, German, Estonian, and am learning Kazakh)- but I doubt the english, the spanish, the french, the italians, the germans and the russians give a fuck about other languages, other than their own and english. And those countries are the majority of European population, so you're right.

Like ex soviet countries speak atleast 2

But central or west europe no way

I speak 3 and im the only one i know

dont' you speak Latvian, Russian and English?
most young people speak English by default
so it's a minimum of 2, considering the native language.
in multi ethnic societies, you'd almost always have people speaking a third.
all the people I know, that are my age or younger speak a minimum of three.

I speak 6 languages (Latvian, English, Russian, Estonian, German, Kazakh), but that's because I come from a small irrelevant country, which has no international pull, and my family members are all foreigners.

The younger generation speaks russian too, but it's becoming unnecessary, because the russians are assimilating well, and know Latvian. The younger generations of Latvians and propper russians even speak english between eachother, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my favourites or at least worth a look...

I Saw The Devil, Apocalypto, A Bittersweet Life, Ringu, Mother (2009), Taegukgi, A Company Man, Oldboy, Spring Summer Autumn Winter and Spring, JSA, Parasite, 3 Iron, Embrace of the Serpent, Amores Perros, Sin Nombre, Elite Squad, Man Bites Dog, 13 Tzameti, Irreversible, La Haine, Rec and Rec 2, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Battle Royale, House of Flying Daggers, Okja, The Seventh Seal, Bicycle Thieves, City Of God...

Like ex soviet countries speak atleast 2

But central or west europe no way

I speak 3 and im the only one i know

In Latvia English and Russian are mandatory in school. Kids know 3 languages by age 15. Then they can also pick German, if they want, from the tenth grade.

In Latvia English and Russian are mandatory in school. Kids know 3 languages by age 15. Then they can also pick German, if they want, from the tenth grade.

Yes im well versed about languages in ex soviet countries lol

hmm. I swear all the people I know speak a bunch of languages. and all the people I met in my travels across the continent speak a lot as well. people from Luxembourg speak at least 3 by default. Belgium, most do too. for the dutch, 2 is a minimum. the French know languages too but they are a bunch of cunts that think if they rpetend to only speak French they are somehow reenacting napoleon's success at Austerlitz. young people in Europe travel a shitload, guys. and a lot go to latin america, work or travel, and they get to know the language. you think the guys in Alsace don't speak german? the guys in northern Italy don't speak a variety of non italian languages? I find that hard to believe. imagine finding some 20-30 year olds in Europe not speaking English. yeah, I am sure there are some, but we are not talking bottom of the barrel here.

hmm. I swear all the people I know speak a bunch of languages. and all the people I met in my travels across the continent speak a lot as well. people from Luxembourg speak at least 3 by default. Belgium, most do too. for the dutch, 2 is a minimum. the French know languages too but they are a bunch of cunts that think if they rpetend to only speak French they are somehow reenacting napoleon's success at Austerlitz. young people in Europe travel a shitload, guys. and a lot go to latin america, work or travel, and they get to know the language. you think the guys in Alsace don't speak german? the guys in northern Italy don't speak a variety of non italian languages? I find that hard to believe. imagine finding some 20-30 year olds in Europe not speaking English. yeah, I am sure there are some, but we are not talking bottom of the barrel here.

Correction

Rich young people travel

My friend was sleeping with 5 guys in one room in berlin when working there

Said germans dont speak english at all lmao

Nor did east euro workers lol

Correction

Rich young people travel

My friend was sleeping with 5 guys in one room in berlin when working there

Said germans dont speak english at all lmao

Nor did east euro workers lol

I'm sure the big countries do understand English, they just choose not to speak it, because they can't swallow their pride.
It pisses me off.

Back