Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Finals |1) Barristan Selmy vs 2) Arthur Dayne

From the words of the author himself and many other characters. Dayne wins.

I'm going with Selmy because I've always thought his list of accomplishments seemed more impressive than those of Dayne.

It's idiotic to discredit Dayne however because he "got killed by Ned". Yes, Ned and 6 others, 7 v 3 and Ned still would have died had it not been for Reed.

Yes.......but you should judge by what is actually written in the novels. That is all that should count.

Thats open to the readers interpretation and bias. In this case we have the authors opinion which is more valid than ours since he created it.

GRRM's opinion = fact in the asoiaf universe. That is what counts.

Same as George Lucas with Star wars. Just cos some people don't like it doesn't change a thing.

Who would win in a fight, Barristan Selmy or Arthur Dayne (in their best days)?

Dayne... if he was armed with Dawn.

If both men had equivalent weaponry, it might be a toss-up.
-GRRM

Last edited:
Thats open to the readers interpretation and bias. In this case we have the authors opinion which is more valid than ours since he created it.

GRRM's opinion = fact in the asoiaf universe. That is what counts.

Same as George Lucas with Star wars. Just cos some people don't like it doesn't change a thing.

If GRRM didn't write it, it didn't happen.

George Lucas said Yoda was the most powerful being in the Star Wars universe.............then Palpatine whooped him in Episode III.

Equally skilled combatants as we all know.

One has the advantage in a weapon as described.

the other has the advantage in actual combat experience and top kills as described.

I will take the advantage in actual combat experience over the edge in weaponry every time. Steal sharpens steel and GOAT fighters fighting other quasi GOAT challengers is always the best preparation.

If GRRM didn't write it, it didn't happen.

George Lucas said Yoda was the most powerful being in the Star Wars universe.............then Palpatine whooped him in Episode III.

He did write it.

Who would win in a fight, Barristan Selmy or Arthur Dayne (in their best days)?

Dayne... if he was armed with Dawn.

If both men had equivalent weaponry, it might be a toss-up.
-GRRM

That is from the SSM collection at the Citadel. The correspondence there is regarded as canon.

Another option that could work. Just have to get the right number of participants down.

Whoever seeded Tywin/Tyrion in the first round of that bracket needs to be sent to the Wall, then tortured by the Tickler, then the Black Goat, before getting his corpse desecrated by 8 of the Mountain's men.

Horrible horrible seeding.

Selmy just because I hate the idea of Dayne winning. Yeah...I know what GRRM said...don't care. I'd rather have an actual character present in the books be the champ instead of some guy that everybody says was awesome.

I agree. At least in the books we saw Selmy's badassery at an old age (and strongly hinted at in the show).

I know what GRRM said....but are we going by what we see happen in the GoT universe or outside of it...

(Either way I'm happy with whoever wins)

Dayne's sword really does give him the advantage, but I'd still pick Selmy because he's a crafty old man.

Arthur doesn't exist in the show yet, so Barristan wins by default.

Old man vs never heard of him.

Decisions decisions.

I voted selmy because robert fought him then personally put his nurse to aid selmy from his wounds

I voted selmy because robert fought him then personally put his nurse to aid selmy from his wounds

Don't think Robert and Selmy fought directly. In the same battle yes, but Robert had his hands full with Rhaegar.

Selmy by virtue of being actually on the show.

Without Dawn, this becomes much more competitive. Still think Dayne edges it out, but Dawn seals it.

I want to pick Selmy just so this tourney has a different result from all the others...

...but if Selmy won, I'd be pissed because we know for a fact that's not how it would go down. If it were anyone other than Selmy I'd make a case for them, but I went with Dayne via Divine Word.

Back