Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Finals |1) Barristan Selmy vs 2) Arthur Dayne

They fought in the middle of the trident. We know this because rubies from his breastplate were found in the trident. I don't have to read it on paper to know that fighting in the middle of a big river restricts movement. Robert's greatest strength is his ... strength. That sort of thing is harder to avoid if your movement is restricted. Rhaegar was much better with the lance, and could have easily skewered robert if it was single combat in an open field. He was also handy enough with a sword, supposedly, and would certainly have done better outside the river. It's no coincidence that Robert's best performance (Trident battle) was the setting which let him use his strength most easily.

The bolded is fabrication. There are no lances in single combat in Westeros. Lances are used in jousting and in battlefield charges.

We can assume Rhaegar would have done better outside the river. There's no way at all to know if it would have turned out differently. For all we know, Rhaegar tried to flee to advantageous ground and Robert cut him off. Robert was the superior battle tactician; it may not have been a coincidence that they met on ground that favored Robert. Too many variables to extrapolate general skill from.

And rhaegar, who wasnt as good as dayne or selmy, was still able to wound robert.

Selmy got wounded by literally a random dude somewhere on the Trident. We have no idea the severity of Robert's wounds. We don't know how much more Dayne or Selmy could do.

Everyone talks about how The Trident was a fateful day for Robert, but it was a fateful day for Rhaegar too. He was searching for Robert just as much as Robert was searching for him. That was Rhaegar at his peak, overclocked even. He fought valiantly, nobly, honorably. Trident Rhaegar may be on par with Prime Jaime, for all we know.

RED VIPER demands a recount, based on most recent fight hype. I.e. Dillashaw.

I was late and couldn't vote for "favourite side character" Karl Tanner in the other locked thread but I won't miss voting for my favourite main character in the show. Ser Barristan Selmy.

It would be good if OP included Ned's (indirectly his father's) and Jorah's words in the show about Ser Barristan being the greatest fighter the seven kingdoms have ever seen.

So if we go by books which I haven't read yet it looks like Dayne gets this one. If we go by the show Barristan takes it. In this case, I would go with the one who lived more... And it's Barristan the Bold.

However, The Legend would take him in close quarters :)

The bolded is fabrication. There are no lances in single combat in Westeros. Lances are used in jousting and in battlefield charges.

We can assume Rhaegar would have done better outside the river. There's no way at all to know if it would have turned out differently. For all we know, Rhaegar tried to flee to advantageous ground and Robert cut him off. Robert was the superior battle tactician; it may not have been a coincidence that they met on ground that favored Robert. Too many variables to extrapolate general skill from.

First, I'd dispute that it's a fabrication. I'm pretty sure that lances are used in a trial by combat in Dunk & Egg, admittedly with more than one participant. There's no reason to assume that they aren't used in single combat on occasion - we just haven't seen a single combat where they are used.

Second, this poll is about the best fighter, and as such isn't restricted to single combat weapons. I'm pretty sure most weapons are permissible, lances included.

In any event, I'm bringing this up not to argue that robert loses to rhaegar outside the trident, but to point out that Robert's success at the trident, which was pretty much his crowning triumph, isn't purely attributable to his battle prowess.

Close one. Dayne slightly edges it out, 50-47. I was actually hoping for a draw.

That's about as close as it gets.

Nice tourney and thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Yo, I just recently got into this show cause of Nathalie Emmanuel. I'm all caught up now.

Barristan Selmy wins cause he's my favorite character. :)

Who is Arthur Dayne? Did he die or has he yet to make an appearance?

Back