Best exercise to lose weight if you can’t run?

The Chosen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If someone temporarily can’t run what is an exercise that can match the intensity of running? I’ve tried being on the stationary bike but it just isn’t the same, I still get a better workout in a few minutes of running than I get in 20+ minutes of cycling.

The "Best exercise to lose weight if you can’t run?" is 'Fork Put Downs'.
Diet is much more important than exercise when it comes to "weight" loss. If you want to prioritise fat (over muscle) loss then regularly performing some form of resistance exercise is a good idea, as is consuming adequate protein.
Cardio is not required to lose weight/fat; however, it is sensible to do for overall cardiovascular and metabolic health. Exercises like burpees and jump rope are good alternatives to running and cycling.

Can you do burpees long enough to actually get many calories burned? I find they are too intense to keep up for that long.
Burpees aren't typically suitable for Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) type exercise but the OP specifically mentioned the "intensity of running" and "better workout in a few minutes of running" so I assumed he wasn't jogging.
As I intimated earlier though, I'm not a huge fan of doing cardio primarily to "burn calories". That's not to say modalities like LISS don't have their place but the conditioning FAQ gives a much better explanation as to how, when, and why that might be than I'd be able to here.

What's temporarily ? Are you injured or heat index too high for road work
jump rope cycles

Shin splints
So jumping is out, as is most HITT style movements. Run in place, side jumps, butt kicks, power jacks, frog jumps, etc. Have access to a rower?
Swimming for cardio never worked out as planned.

Jumping rope?
Swimming laps?
Row machine?
Heavy/speed bag work?
Olympic lifts for high reps and short rest intervals?
KB swings high reps short rest intervals?
Calisthenics/Big Lifts high reps with short or no rest?

Obviously the calisthenics and other similar exercises will be more anaerobic than more aerobic oriented activities like running or jump rope but I think it's quite effective at helping you lose weight.

Try a proper spinning bike and have a look at your wattage instead of just pedaling for an hour.

I go pretty intense on the bike but it just isn’t as good as running
Well, go harder.

What's a good wattage on an air bike? I've just been measuring cals.
Tough to say, as it might even depend on the bike you're using. I have a training program based off my maximal aerobic wattage, 329 last time I tested, and usually try to go for 20 to 40 minutes at an average of 300 watt for rather tough conditioning.

Well, go harder.

Tough to say, as it might even depend on the bike you're using. I have a training program based off my maximal aerobic wattage, 329 last time I tested, and usually try to go for 20 to 40 minutes at an average of 300 watt for rather tough conditioning.
This makes me question Phil Daru. He has a video about air bike conditioning and his sprint was 1000 watts. That seems outrageous.

This makes me question Phil Daru. He has a video about air bike conditioning and his sprint was 1000 watts. That seems outrageous.
That is entirely possible, depending on if your bike is calibrated or not you might not actually produce that wattage anyway. And I have no trouble getting my bike to "more than max wattage" when sprinting, which is 600+ iirc.

That is entirely possible, depending on if your bike is calibrated or not you might not actually produce that wattage anyway. And I have no trouble getting my bike to "more than max wattage" when sprinting, which is 600+ iirc.
Ok. His workout is similar to what you do. He sprints to find max wattage and then does 20 seconds at 80% then 40 seconds moderate pace for 40 mins. And if you get to where you can't get back to 80% then you just ride moderately for the remainder of the workout.

Back