Best Boxers by decade 1940-now

thesharktank

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
40's - Sugar Ray Robinson
50's - Sugar Ray Robinson
60's - Muhammad Ali
70's - Roberto Duran (almost gave this to ali aswell)
80's - Sugar Ray Leonard
90's - Roy Jones JR.
00's - Floyd Mayweather

Thats my list. Just like to open it up for debate. Who do you think was the best boxer for each decade (I started at the 40's cause thats about where my boxing knowledge ends).

Agree, though Tyson can make an argument for Leonard. Tyson was just too dominating in the 80's, to not be the best of the 80's. He was KOing everybody, he saved boxing and made it exciting again. Its an insult to not have Tyson as the best of the 80's. He didnt lose until 1990

Agree, though Tyson can make an argument for Leonard. Tyson was just too dominating in the 80's, to not be the best of the 80's. He was KOing everybody, he saved boxing and made it exciting again. Its an insult to not have Tyson as the best of the 80's. He didnt lose until 1990

Can you remind me of the quality opponents that he beat?

40's - Sugar Ray Robinson
60's - Muhammad Ali
70's - Roberto Duran (almost gave this to ali aswell)
80's - Sugar Ray Leonard
90's - Roy Jones JR.
00's - Floyd Mayweather

Thats my list. Just like to open it up for debate. Who do you think was the best boxer for each decade (I started at the 40's cause thats about where my boxing knowledge ends).

A pretty good list....but I'd give the 80's to Larry Holmes ( 20 title defenses ) or Marvin Hagler ( champ from 1980-1987). Leonard fought-retired-fought-retired-fought.....during the 80's. Larry and Marvin were more consistent......otherwise, a good list.

Here's an add on:

1920's- Jack Dempsey
1930's- Henry Armstrong

MaxBoxing has a series of articles on the Top 10 best pound for pound in each decade. It's good reading......

40's - Joe Louis/ Willie Pep
60's - Muhammad Ali
70's - Carlos Monzon/ Roberto Duran
80's - Marvin Hagler
90's - Roy Jones JR./ Oscar de la Hoya
00's - Floyd Mayweather

Joe Louis for the 40's--for sure.

Marciano could be the one for the 50's--but you can't leave SRR out.

The 70's and 80's are tough.

A case can be made for Duran, Ali and Monzon in the 70's.

A case for Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Holmes and Tyson in the 80's.

Elsewise, looks good...

Can you remind me of the quality opponents that he beat?

Holmes, Spinks, Tucker, Dokes, Williams, Smith, Thomas, and Berbick were all quality opponents.

70's heavyweights were overrated, Norton wasn't any better then tucker, Spinks was better then foster, and holmes was definitely better then frazier and foreman. Ali was the only real standout in the 70s, just like tyson.

Holmes, Spinks, Tucker, Dokes, Williams, Smith, Thomas, and Berbick were all quality opponents.

70's heavyweights were overrated, Norton wasn't any better then tucker, Spinks was better then foster, and holmes was definitely better then frazier and foreman. Ali was the only real standout in the 70s, just like tyson.

Exactly. Alot of ppl like to hate on RJJ and Tyson for no fucking reason. Tyson beat champions, Spinx, Bruno, I dont give a fuck if you dont think they are top contenders. They are champions. Champs>Cans and contenders. Give Tyson some fucking credit you assholes. Same with Roy Jones JR.

Like Roy said in his song " Yall say I aint fight nobody, I just make em LOOK like nobody" YALL MUSTA FORGOT. Tyson and RJJ made good opponents look bad and you morons use it to hate on them. Jujst because Tyson doesnt decision guys like ALI, doesnt mean his opponents are bad.

This post actually reads like a bad joke. Tucker, Dokes (an imaginary fight that you pulled out of your ass), Williams, Smith, Thomas and Berbick hold NO MATERIAL SIGNIFICANCE in the history of the fight game.

Nobody ever thinks back to themselves about Bonecrusher Smith, Carl the Truth Williams, and Tervor Berbick. Much like generations from now people aren't gonna be talking about Oleg Maskaev or Corey Sanders.

Holmes WAS a great heavyweight, Spinks was a great Light Heavyweight. But Holmes was in a long reirement. Spinks showed up for a paycheck and quickly retired from the game thereafter.

Foreman, Frazier, Ali are top 10 heavies of all time. To say Ali was the only standout heavy in the eighties is pretty damn retarded.

Exactly. Alot of ppl like to hate on RJJ and Tyson for no fucking reason. Tyson beat champions, Spinx, Bruno, I dont give a fuck if you dont think they are top contenders. They are champions. Champs>Cans and contenders. Give Tyson some fucking credit you assholes. Same with Roy Jones JR.

Like Roy said in his song " Yall say I aint fight nobody, I just make em LOOK like nobody" YALL MUSTA FORGOT. Tyson and RJJ made good opponents look bad and you morons use it to hate on them. Jujst because Tyson doesnt decision guys like ALI, doesnt mean his opponents are bad.

You're right. Jones and Tyson did beat guys that were above can level. Not sure what the big deal about that is.

Tyson was a great fighter from 1985-1989. But to think that his competition was strong is idiotic.

I'm no Ali fan but just who were the great fighters of that decade? You listed 8 fighters above, so here are 8 from the 70's (Holmes is included--he was overshadowed then BECAUSE of all the great fighters around, BTW):

Joe Frazier
Ken Norton
Jerry Quarry
George Foreman
Ron Lyle
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Larry Holmes

The experts in this forum can decide who fought stiffer competition: Ali or Tyson...

1930s-Henry Armstrong
1940's Willie Pep - Louis was a bit past it in the 40's. he struggled with Conn. He should have lost his first bout with Walcott.
1950's-Ray Robinson
1960's- Ali
!970's - Duran
1980's - Leonard/Hagler
90's Roy Jones Jr.
00's - Floyd/Pac

well, ive only been watching boxing since the 90's. so i agree with 90's being Roy and 00's being Floyd

1930s-Henry Armstrong
1940's Willie Pep - Louis was a bit past it in the 40's. he struggled with Conn. He should have lost his first bout with Walcott.
1950's-Ray Robinson
1960's- Ali
!970's - Duran
1980's - Leonard/Hagler
90's Roy Jones Jr.
00's - Floyd/Pac

prety much agree altho i'd give the 00s outright 2 Floyd unless Pac can move up 2 lightweight and win a World title or beat Marquez convinsingly.

Back