Best Boxers by decade 1940-now

Well him not losing and being P4p on the top lists in boxing, and breaking the all time record is not an opinion. Thats the evidence I used in my argument.

Losing is the only thing you have against Pac (and that was once against a legend in Morales), and that's only because he faced elite competition. Floyd was only #1 p4p between 2005 and 2007 and started being p4p in 2002 (Pac following up in 2003). (if Ring rankings are to be trusted), and Pacqiao won fighter of the year three times as opposed to PBF's 1. P4P is subjective too, so it doesn't really matter that much. Also, last I checked, Pac has belts in 8 divisions, a record that Floyd lacks.

You just kicked yourself there buddy

How?

Also Pac can have the decade while people are talking about Floyd being the best of all time. I think "all time" is a little more prestigious than a decade. Thats my opinion

you're right, all time? decade, but I thought we were arguing about who had the better decade this whole time. Doesn't matter though, I think Pac's career is better overall anyhow
well, looks like I don't have the discipline to leave it alone
responses are in the quote.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine's_Annual_Ratings:_Pound_For_Pound--2000s

Last edited:
You kind of just pwn'd yourself. Floyd no.1 05-07. Floyd retired in 07 after Hatton. He came back in 2009 and was behind manny on some peoples list but regained it.

Again Pac got it only when Floyd retired.

Thank you

like I said, p4p is largely an imaginary concept (and quite subjective, I'm sure there were many who were arguing that Pacman deserved it more than Mayweather at the time), a lot of it based around hype and marketing. I mean, Guerrerro was #9 p4p recently, do you really think he's a better boxer than somebody like say... Rigondeaux (peak ranked at #10) or Roman Gonzalez and Danny Garcia (themselves currently unranked)? If Floyd wanted to really establish his legacy he should have stayed in the game, he had one more year as p4p #1 than Pacman and his resume does not reflect it when compared to Pacman's (and a lot of that was based entirely around his name value if you ask me, but that's an opinion I guess). Pac got it when Floyd retired, sweet, Pac is also Phillipino, who's going to want a phillipino (who was relatively unknown prior to ODLH) on top of their list when they can have a very marketable American like Floyd?

You're welcome I guess, but you ignored all of my other points in your quot, so get down to responding to them

like I said, p4p is largely an imaginary concept (and quite subjective, I'm sure there were many who were arguing that Pacman deserved it more than Mayweather at the time), a lot of it based around hype and marketing. I mean, Guerrerro was #9 p4p recently, do you really think he's a better boxer than somebody like say... Rigondeaux (peak ranked at #10) or Roman Gonzalez and Danny Garcia (themselves currently unranked)? If Floyd wanted to really establish his legacy he should have stayed in the game, he had one more year as p4p #1 than Pacman and his resume does not reflect it when compared to Pacman's (and a lot of that was based entirely around his name value if you ask me, but that's an opinion I guess). Pac got it when Floyd retired, sweet, Pac is also Phillipino, who's going to want a phillipino (who was relatively unknown prior to ODLH) on top of their list when they can have a very marketable American like Floyd?

You're welcome I guess, but you ignored all of my other points in your quot, so get down to responding to them

What points? You posted an article that showed that Floyd was P4P until he retired. it really wasnt hard to see who the best fighter was at the time, like it is not hard to see who the best fighter is right now.

Not sure why floyd would have to stay in the game for you and your opinion on his career.The man felt he was done and went out fighting the best person he could in Ricky hatton. Undefeated JW champion

What points? You posted an article that showed that Floyd was P4P until he retired. it really wasnt hard to see who the best fighter was at the time, like it is not hard to see who the best fighter is right now.

Not sure why floyd would have to stay in the game for you and your opinion on his career.The man felt he was done and went out fighting the best person he could in Ricky hatton. Undefeated JW champion

I'm back

anyhow, I responded to several of your points in the quote bubble on the post with the former p4p list. Anyhow, I guess you could say Floyd was the best at the time, but his resume didn't really reflect it, if you compared his resume at the time with Pacman's resume, they would have been very close if not equal. Pac was phillipino and because of that got much less recognition by the American media, as opposed to PBF, who was on every channel talking trash.

Floyd absolutely should have stayed in the game. If you want to be the GOAT, you hold on to that #1 spot for as long as possible. IDK why he felt he was done, he had just beaten Hatton (a legit win over my personal favorite) and was clearly able to do more. There were plenty of other contenders in the other divisions he could have faced, IDK why he decided to leave. In short Sticking around and fighting> Riding off into the sunset when you clearly have more work that could be done. You can't act like Floyd should get points in his overall career during his retired phase, that doesn't count just because he retired the supposed #1.

40's - Sugar Ray Robinson
50's - Sugar Ray Robinson
60's - Muhammad Ali
70's - Roberto Duran (almost gave this to ali aswell)
80's - Sugar Ray Leonard
90's - Roy Jones JR.
00's - Floyd Mayweather

Thats my list. Just like to open it up for debate. Who do you think was the best boxer for each decade (I started at the 40's cause thats about where my boxing knowledge ends).

Joe Louis held the belt for almost 12 years and still can't get respect.

1930s- Joe Louis
1940's - Willie Pep
1950's - Sugar Ray Robinson
1960's - Ali
1970's - Monzon
1980's - Leonard
90's - RJJ
00's - PBF
10's - PBF

40's - Brown Bomber
50's - Sugar
60's - The Greatest
70's - Manos de Piedra
80's - Kid Dynamite
90's - Y'all musta forgot
00's - Flannyd Pacweathiao
10's - Jaidon Codrington (watch for the big comeback)

Back