Best Boxers by decade 1940-now

Althogh he wouldn't necessarily be my pick, JCC was something like 70-0 in the eighties. Not too shabby... feel like he deserves some mention.

40's - Sugar Ray Robinson
50's - Sugar Ray Robinson
60's - Muhammad Ali
70's - Roberto Duran (almost gave this to ali aswell)
80's - Sugar Ray Leonard
90's - Roy Jones JR.
00's - Floyd Mayweather

Thats my list. Just like to open it up for debate. Who do you think was the best boxer for each decade (I started at the 40's cause thats about where my boxing knowledge ends).

40s sugar ray robinson
50s rocky marciano
60s Dick Tiger
70s ali
80s tyson
90s holyfield
00s lewis

hmm remind me how flloyd has dominated any weight division like lennox.. rather than run off and cry at another weight

Very tough question.

Joe Louis 40

Marciano 50

Ali 60

Duran 70

Tyson 80

Ward 90

Chalzaghe 00

Dusty Morrison by the 2010s :icon_chee

There are a lot of great fighters. I love Ray Leonard, but Tyson was the epitome of 80s boxing. I like DeLahoya, Freddie Roach, Gatti, and Foreman. There also a lot of could have been fighters, guys that were right there and just did not make it.

James Tillis was another guy who held the belt, but never garnered the attention he deserved.

I believe a lot of people here are confusing popularity with accomplishments.

Leonard takes the 80s in my opinion. Beating Duran, Hearns, and Hagler (though I disagree, but do agree with the spirited effort) is better than anything Tyson ever did. And one can even argue about popularity. Leonard owned the first half of the 80s and Tyson the second half. I will concede to the fact that there was more global appeal during Tyson's reign.

I believe a lot of people here are confusing popularity with accomplishments.

Leonard takes the 80s in my opinion. Beating Duran, Hearns, and Hagler (though I disagree, but do agree with the spirited effort) is better than anything Tyson ever did. And one can even argue about popularity. Leonard owned the first half of the 80s and Tyson the second half. I will concede to the fact that there was more global appeal during Tyson's reign.

I have to disagree. Tyson did something that even Leonard could not, he brought boxing out of a slump. His demonstrations of skill and power brought fans back to the sport. Granted Leonard is a far superior boxer and a great showman.

I have to disagree. Tyson did something that even Leonard could not, he brought boxing out of a slump. His demonstrations of skill and power brought fans back to the sport. Granted Leonard is a far superior boxer and a great showman.

This is a thread asking who the better boxer is and you just said that Leonard is a far superior boxer so doesn't that mean you pick Leonard?

Holmes, Spinks, Tucker, Dokes, Williams, Smith, Thomas, and Berbick were all quality opponents.

70's heavyweights were overrated, Norton wasn't any better then tucker, Spinks was better then foster, and holmes was definitely better then frazier and foreman. Ali was the only real standout in the 70s, just like tyson.

lmao

I'm literally screaming over here.

hmm remind me how flloyd has dominated any weight division like lennox.. rather than run off and cry at another weight

Lewis in 'oo? Ha ha.

He fought for 1/3 of the decade about 5 times, one of which he lost to Rahman- you are right- he's clearly been more dominant than Mayweather, Calzaghe, Pacman etc

Lewis in 'oo? Ha ha.

He fought for 1/3 of the decade about 5 times, one of which he lost to Rahman- you are right- he's clearly been more dominant than Mayweather, Calzaghe, Pacman etc

y thank u. i knew u wud come round to my thinking

Roy jones never lost a round in the 90's, dont put Oscar in the same sentence as Roy.

I'm a big fan of Roy but he lost some rounds in the 90s and even lost a fight. Sure it was a DQ but he actually lost a round or 3 to Griffin. Lou Del Valle knocked him down and Hopkins took a few rounds too.

Holmes, Spinks, Tucker, Dokes, Williams, Smith, Thomas, and Berbick were all quality opponents.

70's heavyweights were overrated, Norton wasn't any better then tucker, Spinks was better then foster, and holmes was definitely better then frazier and foreman. Ali was the only real standout in the 70s, just like tyson.

Outstanding.

Norton damn near beat Holmes. Joe Frazier was an amazing fighter that would have likely ko'd Holmes in his prime. Foreman would have knocked Holmes cold. Spinks was technically better than Foster. The 70's were not over-rated. It was the golden age of heavyweight.

Dude, please don't quote me as if I were the one who wrote this gem. Thanks.

Dude, please don't quote me as if I were the one who wrote this gem. Thanks.

lolz.. I was just being too lazy to dig through the thread and find the original poster. Whoever wrote it knows I was talking to them.

This should be updated, with addendums to the 20's and 30's as well as the early teens. :)

Back