Best 154-pounders of all-time

let's see what score i'll end up with .

R1- Gave it to Vargas for the body punches and power punches.Wright working the jab well.
R2- Much better round for Wright, aggressive, controlled the pace and defended better than Vargas. 19-19
R3- Razor close round, one guy lands a combo, the other comes right back. The uppercut of Vargas and combos made the biggest impression on me. 29-28 Vargas
R4- Closer than the commentary made it sound but still pretty clear for Vargas. 39-37 Vargas.
R5- Close round again, thought Vargas a bit more consistent from beginning to end. Wright almost stole it late. 49-46 Vargas.
R6- Vargas was winning the round clearly when Wright rocked him. Vargas round again. 59-55 vargas
R7-Hard round to score but Wright probably stole it with the strong finish. 68-65 Vargas
R8- Vargas not doing much, Wright controlling the round with the jab. 77-75 Vargas
R9- Vargas gasssed. Landing but clearly outworked, outboxed. 86-85 vargas
R10- comeback round for Vargas. Clear round. 96-94 Vargas
R11- And Winky comes back to win a clear round of his own. 105-104 Vargas
R12- and Vargas wins the 12th clearly bringing it to 115-113 Vargas IMO.
--

Very good fight.

Last edited:
such an underrated classic .

lot of close rounds that could've gone either way, not a robbery .

round 1 Vargas
round 2 Winky
round 3 Vargas
round 4 Vargas
round 5 Winky
round 6 Winky
round 7 Winky
round 8 Winky
round 9 Winky
round 10 Vargas
round 11 vargas
round 12 Vargas

114-114

winky cost himself the fight by being inactive in the last 3 rounds . he halted his own momentum thinking he was way ahead on the scorecards.

such an underrated classic .

I'm still scoring it but had to comment on this. If you think about it, there were many underrated wars in this particular 154 pound division.

See, now I'm thinking about Vargas. Vargas is pretty underrated and a great example of why you don't apply a particular # when figuring a guys prime.

In his 15th pro fight he fought Campos and in his 20th fought Tito Trinidad with Wright, Marquez and Quartey sandwiched in there. The guy was used up by the time he had his 22nd fight.

If it weren't for the string of losses at the end of his career, we'd be saying Vargas was one of the best 154 pounders ever.

See, now I'm thinking about Vargas. Vargas is pretty underrated and a great example of why you don't apply a particular # when figuring a guys prime.

In his 15th pro fight he fought Campos and in his 20th fought Tito Trinidad with Wright, Marquez and Quartey sandwiched in there. The guy was used up by the time he had his 22nd fight.

If it weren't for the string of losses at the end of his career, we'd be saying Vargas was one of the best 154 pounders ever.

Good fighter but always lost the big fights. I liked him a lot as a kid. Even had his hairstyle cut while in jr high.

Good fighter but always lost the big fights. I liked him a lot as a kid. Even had his hairstyle cut while in jr high.

Not ALL of them but I see your point.

Its interesting, I was thinking of the great welterweight division of the early 80s. Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, Duran...

I think comparing this 154 division to it is reasonable. The big difference being that you had one guy who established dominance at 147.

You had olympic/amateur standouts(hearns and leonard vs Oscar and Vargas.) You had that guy who wasn't as well known and no one wanted to fight (benitez and wright), the spoiler coming up in weight (Mosley vs Duran) and they all fought each other at one point or another. The fights were great etc.

I think its an underrated period in boxing history.

Last edited:
Not ALL of them but I see your point.

Its interesting, I was thinking of the great welterweight division of the early 80s. Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, Duran...

I think comparing this 154 division to it is reasonable. The big difference being that you had one guy who established dominance at 147.

You had olympic/amateur standouts(hearns and leonard vs Oscar and Vargas.) You had that guy who wasn't as well known and no one wanted to fight (benitez and wright), the spoiler coming up in weight (Mosley vs Duran) and they all fought each other at one point or another. The fights were great etc.

I think its an underrated period in boxing history.
Agreed, VERY underrated: Trinidad, Mosley, ODLH, Vargas, Winky, Forrest, Mayorga....Not an easy group to get through for neither, SRL, Hagler, nor Hearns.

Agreed, VERY underrated: Trinidad, Mosley, ODLH, Vargas, Winky, Forrest, Mayorga....Not an easy group to get through for neither, SRL, Hagler, nor Hearns.

I've been watching those fights again for the first time in a while and the fights were amazing. Vargas in particular was always in good fights.

Hopefully that era is appreciated as it should be in the future.

Back