Best 154-pounders of all-time

Thats a tough one because it seems like a divsion that no one hangs around for long.

Some great fighters have won decent fights at 154, but none of them really were defined by what they did at that weight. Leonard won titles at the weight, Hearns, Floyd.....

Hard question to answer.

A stepping stone weight, but I'll chuck Mike McCallum into the discussion.

Winky Wight

See thats the thing. I almost laughed when I read this but then I thought "well.... Who else?" winky Wright did have a pretty great run at 154.

i guess either terry norris or thomas hearns. but prob hearns. the issue with terry was always his chin and his tendency to get dq'd ( which is a weird tendency to have. i mean the dude got dq'd 3 times)

It is a really transient weight division, but one that had a lot of ATG's spend time at it. Ray Leonard had 3 non-consecutive fights at that weight and was 2-1, I think, so it's not like his resume is very accomplished in the division, but Hearns, McCallum, and Trinidad spent some time at that weight and were amazing. Trinidad nearly unified the belts.

Julian Jackson is another great fighter that would be on my top 5 list, but the best is probably Winky. Bulk of his career was spent there and he was unified champ.

Hearns didn't really beat any great 154 pounders though. He beat Benitez and Duran at the weight but both of those guys had seen better days. I guess Benitez was a good win at the weight.

As weird as it sounds, at 154 Wright >Hearns or at least, pretty even.

He was at the weight longer and defended his title multiple times.

Tito didn't hang around long though. Vargas was a good win.

Probably Hearns, Wright, Norris, Jackson, McCallum. Though largely forgotten, Kalule and Boudouani were really good too

SRL,floyd, tito and ODLH all had some very good fights at JMW, but very few

Like others said, it's a stepping stone weight which happens to be in the vicinity of two of the best (and most marketable) divisions in boixng, with easy weights to make. Wasn't really taken seriously until 1974 either (if ring rankings can be taken as an indicator of a divisions respectability).

Hearns didn't really beat any great 154 pounders though. He beat Benitez and Duran at the weight but both of those guys had seen better days. I guess Benitez was a good win at the weight.

As weird as it sounds, at 154 Wright >Hearns or at least, pretty even.

He was at the weight longer and defended his title multiple times.

I agree that Wright's accomplishments in the division give him a ranking ahead of Hearns, but that's where the complexity of the nature of the division comes in because Wright only has one win against a great opponent at 154 and it wasn't that guys best weight either.

154 was Wright's optimum weight, and I think out of all the division he fought in it was Hearns' as well. In a fantasy match up between the two to 154 I would pick Hearns though.

De La Hoya wouldve smashed Winky at 154

154 is a hard one to pick, that weight class was always a layover for fighters moving from 147 to 160, so many to choose from, Norris, Jackson, Brown and McCallum

Tito was a monster at 154, wish his ego didnt get the best of him by chasing after Roy Jones

Winky unfortunatley up until the Vargas fight never got the exposure

Harry Simon was a very goid fighter, too bad the dumb ass didnt know how to drive

Back