Best 154-pounders of all-time

He had just beaten Ronnie Harris and Rodrigo Valdes!

Hugo Corro was never one of the best MWs of the era.

Harris never panned out to be what people thought he'd be coming out of the amateurs. He was decent I guess but not decent enough to be considered in the discussion of Hagler and Monzon.

Rodrigo Valdes, I'm pretty sure was just a can crusher who built up a record fighting in his backyard against nobodies.

Hugo Corro was never one of the best MWs of the era.

Harris never panned out to be what people thought he'd be coming out of the amateurs. He was decent I guess but not decent enough to be considered in the discussion of Hagler and Monzon.

Rodrigo Valdes, I'm pretty sure was just a can crusher who built up a record fighting in his backyard against nobodies.

Valdes was a pretty good fighter with some huge wins over Bennie Briscoe, beat Rudy Robles right after Robles shocked Mundine Sr. but Corro did beat him on the decline.

Also, Harris did never become what he was supposed to after Corro beat him but that's probably because Corro beat him. Harris was on a hell of a streak at that time.

Anyways, when I say "one of the best middleweights at the time" I mean he was one of the best middleweights. I'm not saying he's on that Hagler/Monzon level. Those guys would be the Pacquiao/Mayweather of today. Corro and Antuofermo were more along the level of Shawn Porter and Marcos Maidana. They were clearly a step behind Hagler and Monzon but still the top ten elite of the weight class.

So yes, he was one of the best MW's of the era. He just wasn't as good as Hagler and Monzon, which I never claimed.

Bennie Briscoe was fun and al but he lost to everyone.

huh?

Maurice Hope? Maurice Hope was nothing more than a titlist in a weak division.

The only people who thought Hope was anything at all were Brits who get on the jock of any other Brit who fights.

I did some research, seems like he was rated at some point in the P4P top 25, and was ranked by the ring as top 10 for 7 years (3 years as #1 contender)

that's certainly not bad

Bennie Briscoe was fun and al but he lost to everyone.
looking at his resume, it's not terrible. He beat Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and drew with Monzon and Griffith, that's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Vito Antufermo is a somebody for getting his ass kicke dby Hagler.
Vito was rated in the P4P top ten in 1980ish, that's better than you're giving him credit for (drew with Hagler, beat Corro, Briscoe and an old Griffith)

Last edited:
I did some research, seems like he was rated at some point in the P4P top 25, and was ranked by the ring as top 10 for 7 years (3 years as #1 contender)

that's certainly not bad

looking at his resume, it's not terrible. He beat Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and drew with Monzon and Griffith, that's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Vito was rated in the P4P top ten in 1980ish, that's better than you're giving him credit for (drew with Hagler, beat Corro, Briscoe and an old Griffith)

Emile Griffith was 175 years old when he was fighting in the 70's.

As for P4P, I honestly never understood what criteria they used in the 70's and 80's. I recall seeing one list that had Pepino Cuevas in the top 5 OVER Tommy Hearns. I can't imagine someone being ranked P4P today for beating a Journeyman, a fighter who was last relevant a decade ago and a draw.

I'm not getting into an argument about Hugo Corra being great because he wasn't. If you want to consider it a good win for someone, fine. But to say someone was special for beating him is another story. He never beat anyone special, frankly really never even FOUGHT anyone that great.

Vito Antuofermo is sort of a second string guy in the era and Corra lost to him.

Thats a tough one because it seems like a divsion that no one hangs around for long.

Some great fighters have won decent fights at 154, but none of them really were defined by what they did at that weight. Leonard won titles at the weight, Hearns, Floyd.....

Hard question to answer.

Also the 154 is a new division in the realm of boxing (in the context of things). The best "of whatever class" should involve the original eight that way you can tap into some of the talent that existed before the seventeen weight classes that are around today.

Also the 154 is a new division in the realm of boxing (in the context of things). The best "of whatever class" should involve the original eight that way you can tap into some of the talent that existed before the seventeen weight classes that are around today.

The level of talent is vastly higher since the change, though.

I've given this a bit of thought and IMO, the best 154 pound division was the division that included Vargas, Tito, Oscar, Shane etc.

No other era of 154 pounders came close.

Norris may have the best resume at 154.

I've given this a bit of thought and IMO, the best 154 pound division was the division that included Vargas, Tito, Oscar, Shane etc.

No other era of 154 pounders came close.

False

Vargas' career was ended by Tito before reaching his peak

Shane and Oscar where past their peak when they went to 154

False

Tito killed Vargas' career before reaching his peak

Shane and Oscar where past their peak when they went to 154

False. Vargas was a legit player in that division. He beat Winky Wright, Ike Quartey, Raul Marquez and (slightly less impressive) Yori Boy Campos before he fought Tito.

That division was stacked and we got some awesome fights out of the deal. Tito/Vargas, Vargas/Mayorga, Oscar/Vargas, Forrest/Mosley and more....

That was a great division for a very short time.

False. Vargas was a legit player in that division. He beat Winky Wright, Ike Quartey, Raul Marquez and (slightly less impressive) Yori Boy Campos before he fought Tito.

That division was stacked and we got some awesome fights out of the deal. Tito/Vargas, Vargas/Mayorga, Oscar/Vargas, Forrest/Mosley and more....

That was a great division for a very short time.

Talent wise yes

But out the bunch you cant pick one as far as the best 154 lbr

Neithrr of them remained there long enough to dominate the division with such talent since Norris

I meant to say Mosley/Wright. Not Forrest.

Talent wise yes

But out the bunch you cant pick one as far as the best 154 lbr

Neithrr of them remained there long enough to dominate the division with such talent since Norris

Vargas spent more time at the weight and beat more legit guys than Hearns did.

i think i had winky beating vargas.

i need to rewatch that fight.

I don't really remember it to be honest.

Back