Benson Henderson: "Mackenzie Dern Will Be Bigger Than Ronda Rousey"

Did I read that right that she actually out grappled LHW Gabi Garcia?!?

post-16196-Watermelon-Eating-Contest-like-apRB.gif

Did I read that right that she actually out grappled LHW Gabi Garcia?!?
I'm pretty sure Mackenzie only has one win over Gabi and has lost against her more than she has won, and that win came via point deduction due to a penalty-- but, at the very least, that shows she has the courage to compete against someone basically twice her size, multiple times, without giving up.

When prospect are told that they are the next XXXX they usually either put too much pressure on themselves and explode or they believe their own hype and explode as well.

Nah. Ronda was just different. Watch Dern's debut; it's a good debut. She sets a good pace, is ultra aggressive, shows TDs, GnP and sub attempts. Solid unanimous decision that was like 30-25 or something.

...Ronda finished her first opponent in 25seconds. Gomes is no joke either. Dern had a fifteen minute debut, while Ronda's whole career has gone less than 22minutes.

Dern is really pretty and likes to show off the boobs during BJJ photos, so all that's a plus; I just can't imagine anyone reaching the level of fame Rousey had though.

All fat jokes aside, says that somebody is going to be bigger than Rousey then proceeds to tell everybody to "look her up". This girl is very good looking and may turn out to be a hell of a fighter, but you don't just become a star by being good looking.

Nah. Ronda was just different. Watch Dern's debut; it's a good debut. She sets a good pace, is ultra aggressive, shows TDs, GnP and sub attempts. Solid unanimous decision that was like 30-25 or something.

...Ronda finished her first opponent in 25seconds. Gomes is no joke either. Dern had a fifteen minute debut, while Ronda's whole career has gone less than 22minutes.

Dern is really pretty and likes to show off the boobs during BJJ photos, so all that's a plus; I just can't imagine anyone reaching the level of fame Rousey had though.
I would add only that Ronda's grappling style is arguably more suited for mma. She is also probably way more physically powerful as an athlete. Mackenzie hasn't worked on throwing someone directly into a submission nearly as much as Ronda has, and that kind of thing is going to lead to lightning fast finishes. But yeah, regardless, I don't think it's very likely that Mackenzie would experience the sort of meteoric rise that Ronda did.

I'm pretty sure Mackenzie only has one win over Gabi and has lost against her more than she has won, and that win came via point deduction due to a penalty-- but, at the very least, that shows she has the courage to compete against someone basically twice her size, multiple times, without giving up.

They stopped being friendly towards one another when Dern beat her, apparently Gabi didn't take defeat well and started talking shit

Didn't they say that about Gabi too? And we saw how that went.

At any rate, solid Milfage action there despite her being quite young. That's the part of WMMA that matter so yep, she could be big.

Yep. And watching the damn fight, Garcia took her down with size and power.

Additional research:

I would add only that Ronda's grappling style is arguably more suited for mma. She is also probably way more physically powerful as an athlete. Mackenzie hasn't worked on throwing someone directly into a submission nearly as much as Ronda has, and that kind of thing is going to lead to lightning fast finishes. But yeah, regardless, I don't think it's very likely that Mackenzie would experience the sort of meteoric rise that Ronda did.

100 agree, Steve. Rousey is physically more robust and way stronger, and her game is tailor made for WMMA at this present time.

Mackenzie will do well, but I don't think she'll get spectacular wins like Rousey did.

They stopped being friendly towards one another when Dern beat her, apparently Gabi didn't take defeat well and started talking shit
lol that's petty shit considering Mackenzie got submitted by her like 4 or 5 times and never bitched about it (at least, as far as I know).

In terms of MMA, Mackenzie at least didn't put on a ridiculously sloppy bum-fight in her debut, nor was she dropped by a literal pro wrestler.

Back