Ben Henderson signs new 8 fight contract - sets precedent

Not a big Bendo fan, but he def. deserves it.

This, good for him. I think he lost twice to Edgar but as he's holding the belt right now he deserves to be making more than the 20k or whatever his previous contract was paying out.

every athlete loves their long contract for security when they first break thru.

every athlete that continues to be a top performer starts to regret that long contract if guys are paid more after when things change.

Good for Bendo.
This, good for him. I think he lost twice to Edgar but as he's holding the belt right now he deserves to be making more than the 20k or whatever his previous contract was paying out.
You could make a case for the second fight, but the first was all Bendo.

How the fuck could you justify an Edgar win for the first fight? Catching multiple kicks AFTER he already got the brunt of them? Getting a heel to the chin from an upkick? Failed takedown attempts?

I sure hope Bendo got a raise to more than what was offered to Eddie Alvarez. Bendo beat some tough guys to take the UFC LW belt and defend it. Eddie is pretty good, but I'm not so sure he can beat Bendo.

I'm tired of the "lockerroom money" excuse - that's shady shit done by management so fighters never know what anybody else is making to then demand more. It's like the old NHL days (back in the 50's before the players association) where players were paid secret amounts and couldn't tell anybody else what they made or they'd be fired.

Dana claims that fighters don't want people to know what they get paid because a lot live in Latin and South America countries where they'd be targeted - and they make enough to be targeted, but not enough to be able to afford necessary security.

I say that's a lot of bull. Dana wants to keep contracts secret so fighters don't know they're getting ripped off - BY HIM.

Fighters shouldn't want to have to depend on sugardaddy to come into the lockeroom after their fights with wads of cash. Negotiate for a fair contract and pay me not a penny more. The way Dana does it now, you have to kiss his ring in order to get his lockerroom bonuses - he gets to pay the high roller making it rain on you and you thank him as you scrounge around to pick up the $$ bills. That's not how a professional contract or situation works - Dana is treating the fighters like strippers or even prostitutes.

Last edited:
I sure hope Bendo got a raise to more than what was offered to Eddie Alvarez. Bendo beat some tough guys to take the UFC LW belt and defend it. Eddie is pretty good, but I'm not so sure he can beat Bendo.

I'd say it probably was more like "the lowest we can accept is what you gave Alvarez" I'd say he probably got more, but at the very least he got the same deal (or close enough). We'll see what happens when he next fights and his salary is released. He said that he opted for a long term "safer" contract so I'm assuming he settled for a flat rate + PPV instead of a show/win rate + PPV. That way he doesn't have to worry about winning to receive half his money

i defanitly feel that there is no reason why anyone should ever be making more than the current champion. if they are cround the champ they should also be awarded with a bonus of 500 000 also. which would act as more incentive to the whole division, also as a congrats from the company. champions need to be bumped to a different pay grade then the rest of its respective divisions.

Eh, doesn't mean much when these guys don't have anywhere else to go. Glad to see he got a deal that makes him happy though.

I'm tired of the "lockerroom money" excuse - that's shady shit done by management so fighters never know what anybody else is making to then demand more. It's like the old NHL days (back in the 50's before the players association) where players were paid secret amounts and couldn't tell anybody else what they made or they'd be fired.

Dana claims that fighters don't want people to know what they get paid because a lot live in Latin and South America countries where they'd be targeted - and they make enough to be targeted, but not enough to be able to afford necessary security.

I say that's a lot of bull. Dana wants to keep contracts secret so fighters don't know they're getting ripped off - BY HIM.

Fighters shouldn't want to have to depend on sugardaddy to come into the lockeroom after their fights with wads of cash. Negotiate for a fair contract and pay me not a penny more. The way Dana does it now, you have to kiss his ring in order to get his lockerroom bonuses - he gets to pay the high roller making it rain on you and you thank him as you scrounge around to pick up the $$ bills. That's not how a professional contract or situation works - Dana is treating the fighters like strippers or even prostitutes.

thats what Tito said 5 years ago, its all about control

It's a good thing for all parties involved.

It shows that fighters are frustrated with their pay, and if they mention it in an open forum and in public, UFC will do the right thing and rectify the situation.

It really changes things from the way they were. Before, the fighters would mention their low pay, Dana would get on their case and the fans in turn would follow Dana's example and get on their case and bash them as well.

It's good to know that the fighters are starting to realize they have the power, not the promoters.

Hopefully this is a trend that will continue.

he didnt complain tho. i just read all his tweets didnt look like complaining to me

this, seems as if when ever an MMA fighter speaks, people turn on them all call them complaining/annoying, Benson obviously gets more then 39-39 even before, but he deserves more money regardless, i can't remember who said it, but the quote was "how can someone who isn't even the best LW in Bellator, get more money then the best LW in the UFC?" and to me that's all there is to it

I think you're right but Ben is one of a kind. As soon as he (humbly) complained, the UFC threw a new contract at him. They know he will gain more and more appeal, better sign him now!

Fighters are generally happy about a new contract...until they hear of something better which happens very often. Bendo had a new post-WEC contract that he was VERY happy with at the time he signed it in late 2011. (http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2011/09/ufcs-carlos-condit-ben-henderson-sign-contract-extensions)

Reports in 2011 were that Bendo got an 8-fight deal much like Bisping.

I hope Bendo got Lombard-type money because if he only got an Alvarez-type offer, I have a feeling that in another year or two, he will be unhappy again when salaries rise and many other newcomers (Chandler?) receive even higher offers.

Damn dude... quality post

They already did that....and the fighters fighting have ALL accepted their contracts and signed the damn things. They have no right to complain post signing.

The bonuses are just that....a bonus. Not guaranteed.

And dana has said several times he doesnt give a shit if the fighters talk about their pay and bonuses. Ian McCall has been very vocal about his earned money....which was about 2-3x his contracted pay.

Most of the guys i can recall complaining (rampage, tito, randy) were in the top 5-10 guys getting paid.

finishes or not, hes beat tough competition and earned it.

Back