Ben Askren making the most of his downtime. Wrestling current 2 time NCAA 197lb champ

Yeah I think that askren and Dana had already talked to each other and the plans is to wait till the match Periode is over.

Thanks. Sick match. I hope people watch. I'm not sure a lot of people on here have seen a full wrestling match. You can see it really looks nothing like wrestling in MMA. Ben is great at both but they're very different.

Yep, while I still suspect it won't be exciting to MOST people, ground wrestling is still more excited when your opponent isn't clinged on to you for dear life waiting for the ref to step in.

I might be in the minority but I like folk-style better than freestyle. Might justvbe because that's all I ever did, but I just do. Freestyle is still awesome though.

As the title says, he was a 2 time National Champion at 197lbs, and he was nearly a 3 time champ. So he was legit. The wrestler that he is trying to call out now (for january) is Kyle Dake the first 4 time NCAA champ that didn't require a redshirt year to do it; who won all 4 titles at different weight classes and last year beat the kid most likely to win Most Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA for this upcoming season.

Dake is a beast. Would watch.

I might be in the minority but I like folk-style better than freestyle. Might justvbe because that's all I ever did, but I just do. Freestyle is still awesome though.

If you're in the minority I'm right there with you. Folk-style > freestyle > Greco-Roman imo.

Yep, while I still suspect it won't be exciting to MOST people, ground wrestling is still more excited when your opponent isn't clinged on to you for dear life waiting for the ref to step in.

I watched the video, and enjoyed it more than I expected to. However, I must note that Askren did this a few times. When his opponent got him down, he flattened out to avoid being flipped, and the ref stoop them up.

This was more exciting than many MMA wrestlefests, but not just because the BOTTOM guy isn't allowed to stall. The TOP guy isn't allowed to stall either. There must be constant activity, or both fighters will be reset. Most MMA fans would probably like watching grappling contests under those rules.

As someone whose never been the least bit interested in any kind of amateur wrestling, this has peaked my curiosity.

The same website that showed Askren vs Wright last week this week has Bubba Jenkins vs Jordan Oliver (the wrestler who just killed Lance Palmer; I expect a similar fate for Bubba) in addition to the "super match" it is a high school national level ranked dual starting in 20 minutes.

4:00 pm start *The numbers next to the high school wrestlers are their national rankings.

Team Oliver vs. Team Team Bubba
132A
#1 Seth Gross (MN) vs. #3 Fredy Stroker (IA)
132B
#2 Zac Hall (MI) vs. #4 Michael Kemerer (PA)
#1 Sean Russell (GA) vs. #3 Nathan Boston (KY)
#9 Mason Manville (NJ) vs. #8 Grant Leeth (MO)
#10 Nicky Reenan (JO) vs. #5 Fox Baldwin (FL)
#1 Jered Cortez (IL) vs. #4 Ryan Millhof (GA)
#2 Jason Nolf (PA) vs. #3 Joey McKenna (NJ)
Winner of 132A vs. Winner of 132B
#2 Ryan Blees (ND) vs. #4 Zach Kelly (PA)
HWT
#1 Johnny Sebastian (NJ) vs. #2 Michael Pixley (MO)
Jordan Oliver (PA) vs. Bubba Jenkins (VA)

Just watched Ben lose to Big Rigg in a wrestling match....

Granted it was from 2002.

Good to see him staying active. I hate how Bellator won't let their fighters leave. It's clear that Askren should be in the UFC.

its not like the ufc does this diffrently. sure most fighters want to be in the ufc anyway but if bellator wants to get bigger and bigger it needs good fighters and letting them leave isnt doing them any services

Thanks. Sick match. I hope people watch. I'm not sure a lot of people on here have seen a full wrestling match. You can see it really looks nothing like wrestling in MMA. Ben is great at both but they're very different.

Ya I've never watched any actual wrestling like this so i had no idea how it was scored but askren is definitely getting me interested in the sport. Completely different than mma wrastlin :)

Back