Ben Askren making the most of his downtime. Wrestling current 2 time NCAA 197lb champ

GUYS.jpg

That guy in the bottom right is Big John McCarthy's twin. God damn.

He is. Watching him makes me severely want to compete in it again. I love everything about his wrestling style.

Exactly! The guys domination despite his body type and athleticism gives all sorts of former-was's like myself all sorts of false confidence to return to the mat ha.

Askren wins 22-8! Uses the last 10 seconds to fist pump to the crowd while on top of him, like his last Bellator match.

Afterwards Askren grabbed the microphone and challenged 4 time champion Kyle Dake and called him out for ducking him & told him he wants a match vs him at AGON 3.

Lmfao I love Aksren. Yes! So psyched he won, hope this ends up online somewhere soon. Gotta catch this.

I really hope Ben gets signed by someone quick, preferably the UFC. Don't want to see his talent wasted.

It was cool Simpson wrestled too. He was a great wrestler back in the day.

IF you think about it, he was never able to make an impact on the world wrestling stage and failed at the Olympics. That shows the level of competition there. I would like to see some of the East European wrestlers make an MMA debut. Wrestling is imo the best base for MMA.

IF you think about it, he was never able to make an impact on the world wrestling stage and failed at the Olympics. That shows the level of competition there. I would like to see some of the East European wrestlers make an MMA debut. Wrestling is imo the best base for MMA.

askren is just better made for folkstyle, me thinks. and folkstyle is better suited to mma in my opinion

I'm excited to see how much "wrestling ability" is lost by some of the former greats when they have to split up their training time to incorporate other martial arts.
Happens to BJJ practitioners too. Jacare at ADCC 2011 clearly wasn't the same guy from 2009.

askren is just better made for folkstyle, me thinks. and folkstyle is better suited to mma in my opinion

What exactly is folkstyle wrestling? Is Ben the only wrestler in MMA that uses that style of wrestling?

Wow, Quinten is a 2x (should have been 3x but got boned against Bosak) NCAA champ with a size advantage and no time lost training MMA and Askren does that to him. That's unbelievable.

At first I hated Askren... Then he turned heel. Now I find him amusing. His r

Good for Ben, keeping active. Hope he fights again soon.

Askren may have succeeded at calling out Dake. Either way, with another wrestling match lined up for January, it appears Askren is prepared to wait out the one year matching clause so he can come over to the UFC.

Ben Askren ‏@Benaskren 1h
@kyledake444 I'm coming to Ithaca in January for @AgonWC 3. I may have to beat up some other shmuck, but I hope it is you. @flowrestling

Kyle Dake ‏@kyledake444 1h
I'll beat you if I'm not too busy winning where you couldn't #internationalscene @Benaskren

Kyle Dake ‏@kyledake444 1h
@Benaskren and you are a quitter #comebacktothegame

Ben Askren ‏@Benaskren 1h
@kyledake444 @AgonWC try and make at least 1 team before you start talking trash. As of now you are a back up.

Ben Askren ‏@Benaskren 52m
@kyledake444 if I came back then you would be 3rd string! I am happy in semi retirement. See you in January.

I love them twitter exchanges.

God I want to see that match already.

Enough of this. Lets see Askren pound on GSP. Make it happen Dana!

Back