• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ben Askren-I know I would Dominate Robbie Lawler (New Podcast w/ Askren, Ashlee Evans-Smith, Gian)

He's good, but there's a difference in the promotions talent. He would be a top 10 fighter in the UFC.

Easy there. I'm very fond of Askren's skill (notice the lack of plural), but Rory circles around him, maintains distance and ultimately cracks his chin. Robbie has a hell of a TDD too and even if Askren manages to take him down, Robbie's very crafty when it comes to get back to his feet. He's not just the brawler people make him out to be. He probably obliterates him standing at some point in a 5 rounder.

I think Askren smokes Lombard, barring some judo throws in the first round. I think he dominates Hendricks and Woodley too but I wouldn't bet on that, they're much more complete fighters than him.
Askren could possibly find it difficult to close the distance on a good striker, but he's a 3 time d-1 national champ. One of the best wrestlers the US has ever produced. He would drag each and every one of those people to the canvas and I don't see any of them getting up.

Askren would have real problems with Maia IMO. Maia's BJJ would be too much for Askren on the ground.

Khabib could go up to WW to fight him too, that would be awesome.

I would like to see him try. But if I remember correctly, he was getting his ass beat by Santos.

Even if he did dominate Lawler, he wouldn't finish him. That means Lawler instantly wins via robbery.

You remember incorrectly. Ben took some knees to the mid and a brutal leg kick, but Santos looked to be slowing down 2-3 minutes into the fight. He is Huge, so it's understandable. Eager to see the rematch though.

Here is the Brand New MMA Roasted Podcast w/ Ben Askren, Ashlee Evans-Smith and Gian Villante. Hope you enjoy. Adam Hunter

iTunes: http://bit.ly/mmaroasted

Just like you dominated Jay Hieron, oh, wait. You didn't. You won a split decison against the toughest guy you ever fought who couldn't cut it in the UFC.

Askren is the best ww in the world right now. And has been for some time. He has never been in danger his entire career. Hes dominated every minute of every round.

How do you explain the split decision win against Heiron?

Askren: "I CAN BEAT THE UFC CHAMP AND ANYONE IN THE UFC!!!"

are you going to sign with the UFC?

Askren: "nope"

So who the fugg cares?

Dominate Lawler eh?

You barely beat Jay Hieron, and Lawler is 10x the fighter he is.

Askren acts like a depressed wife who is starved for attention.

Askren fought Hieron in 2011. Robbie went 0-2 that year.

You remember incorrectly. Ben took some knees to the mid and a brutal leg kick, but Santos looked to be slowing down 2-3 minutes into the fight. He is Huge, so it's understandable. Eager to see the rematch though.
Ben got tossed a couple times too, and couldn't take Santos down. Ben did literally nothing except fail in takedowns, get judo thrown a few times, eat some hard strikes, and thumb Santos in the eye when he couldn't do anything else.

Askren fought Hieron in 2011. Robbie went 0-2 that year.
At middleweight, versus Jacare and Tim Kennedy.

Your analogy is shit. Robbie has several top 5 wins. Ben has one top 20 win.

At middleweight, versus Jacare and Tim Kennedy.

Your analogy is shit. Robbie has several top 5 wins. Ben has one top 20 win.

Askren has ONE close fight 5 years ago and everyone uses it to say he isn't UFC material.

Well 5 years ago RObbie was getting wrecked, so im not sure how he's 10x the fighter.

It ain't shit.

Ben got tossed a couple times too, and couldn't take Santos down. Ben did literally nothing except fail in takedowns, get judo thrown a few times, eat some hard strikes, and thumb Santos in the eye when he couldn't do anything else.

But he wasn't "getting his ass beat".

All it takes is one to be successful to change everything in the fight. Santos looked to be gassing. One thing is for certain, we don't know what would have happened.

Think of how many fights we've seen where fighter A is stuffing fighter B's shots and then one is successful and it's a completely different fight. Alternatively, Ben could have failed and got KO'd.

Askren has ONE close fight 5 years ago and everyone uses it to say he isn't UFC material.

Well 5 years ago RObbie was getting wrecked, so im not sure how he's 10x the fighter.

It ain't shit.

How would Ben, a tiny welterweight, do at MW versus Kennedy and Jacare?

You're comparing Ben squeaking by 0-4 in the UFC Hieron to Robbie losing at a less than optimal weight class against Jacare (12-2 UFC/SF, SF MW Champ) and Kennedy (9-3 UFC/SF).

Robbie is clearly the better fighter based on fighting and beating much MUCH MUCH better competition.

Ben's resume is an utter joke.

But he wasn't "getting his ass beat".

All it takes is one to be successful to change everything in the fight. Santos looked to be gassing. One thing is for certain, we don't know what would have happened.

Think of how many fights we've seen where fighter A is stuffing fighter B's shots and then one is successful and it's a completely different fight. Alternatively, Ben could have failed and got KO'd.
He was losing by a good margin, getting outgrappled and outstruck. You can speculate all you want, but the facts are the facts. Ass beat? Nah. Losing handily? Yup.

Coming off a no contest against a 40 year old nobody.

giphy.gif

Santos exposed him in his last fight. Go watch. You'll LYAO!

For him to keep puffing his chest to UFC fighters, it's insane.

He was losing by a good margin, getting outgrappled and outstruck. You can speculate all you want, but the facts are the facts. Ass beat? Nah. Losing handily? Yup.

Yeah, which is why I never claimed he was winning. I merely disagreed with the guy who said he was getting his ass beat.

Coming off a no contest against a 40 year old nobody.

giphy.gif
Hey, Askren scored a split decision in his sole top 20 win. He'd clearly destroy Lawler, Condit, Rory, Maia, Woodley, Hendricks, Wonderboy, etc...

Just never mind, he's the best wrestler eva!
ben-askren-one-fc-16.gif

Watching Askren having to force a no-contest against a fighter outside of the top-50 to avoid a defeat makes this claim even more entertaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back