Ben Askeren: [Masvidal] knows how those training sessions with Colby went

Guess I'll post the gif...

giphy.gif
That took a while. Damn. Guess people dont hate Askren as much anymore? Haha

Askren was the biggest hype job in UFC history. Don’t want to hear his thoughts.

Nobody really cares what this hype job can't strike for shit Ben Askren has to say

Usman didn't ragdoll him, so why is a much weaker wrestler going to do that to him?
What makes you say Colby's the weaker wrestler? I don't remember any wrestling at all in the Colby Usman scrap, wrestling wise I'd say they are pretty much a wash. Assume this is just a matter of dollars and cents before Masvidal signs, otherwise he's got that second Diaz fight as an alternative.

Honestly, I suspect Masvidal had a hard time with Colby. Still, if the money is right he will take the fight. A loss would severely hurt his stock tho. Masvidal has to plan for the future in either case.

Honestly, I suspect Masvidal had a hard time with Colby. Still, if the money is right he will take the fight. A loss would severely hurt his stock tho. Masvidal has to plan for the future in either case.
Of course he won't take it. Masvidal is extremely lucky to be where he is. He's a gimmick fighter. He has good boxing and nothing else. He can't sustainably stay in the top 10, and he knows it. So, his game is is to milk his spot for the money while he can.

Colby is a real fighter. He's not in his #2 spot by luck. He's legitimately that good, and he doesn't have to pick matchups. He knows he can fight anyone and keep his spot.

Masvidal will look for "money fights" like Nate Diaz. Colby will keep looking for "real fights", ones that take him to the championship.

Wasn't Ben supremely confident going into the fight with Mas because he knew 'what happened' when they were training together previously?

Honestly, Ben is now like an MMA content creator and it really feels like he is demanding more credibility than he actually deserves.

His logic is that street Jesus is avoiding the fight, and that * Alone* leads Askren to believe that Masvidal is avoiding Colby because of what happened in Training.

It is the most logical consesus to draw from Masvidal's actions, if you have a better theory please enlighten us.

Jorge is not interested in being sat on. He's interesting in $$$

Masvidal has always been a journeyman. Lol at anybody who ever bought into the hype.
If you had to rate his performance against Usman and Colbys performance against Usman, who’s is better? Getting TKO? Or losing a decision, because the guy is scared to throw a punch. I think of Colby tries to strike with mas, he regrets it. I don’t think Colby will take him down as easily as Sherdog thinks.

Things that happened years ago and in training - Mas has improved and took the current WW champ to a decision on short notice (with Snoozeman using the most boring, but effective, game plan ever).
Agree but If we go by fights Colby was gar more impressive vs Usman. Masdival went in there to survive. Colby to win.

Why is anyone even debating this? There is no other clear reason for the fight not being made.

It’s obviously the fight to make in the ufc right now...There isn’t another fight that checks off all the boxes the way this one does. They’ve got history and a backstory. It’s stylistically a fun and interesting match up for the hardcore fans. There are title implications. You have a bit of a political aura around it for more hype. Both fighters are well known enough for the casuals to get behind the fight as well. It’s checks off all boxes in a way that no other “realistic” fight does in the UFC.

That being said, I don’t necessarily blame Jorge for not taking this fight though. He has to be very careful right now and map out his future carefully to maximize the paydays. It wouldn’t be a good look for him to get manhandled in this fight.

Agree but If we go by fights Colby was gar more impressive vs Usman. Masdival went in there to survive. Colby to win.

This.

Colby went in to win that fight and Jorge just wanted to survive. I thought Colby was actually ahead of a razor thin decision going into the 5th. At no point during the Jorge fight against Usman did I ever think he had a chance regardless of how much I was rooting for him.

Tbf he was a replacement.

Fair enough....

but that situation worked out perfectly for Jorge. He gets the title shot and increases his “legend”because omg he took it last minute fight and had to cut all that weight. It was the perfect situation for him to be in. Big payday and his stock actually went up in a loss.

Back