News Bellator Dublin - Feb 25th - Moose Vs Vanderford

Unfortunately for Vanderford if he manages to pull this off, which it wouldnt be crazy if it did, people will see Mousasi more as an aging champ rather than give credit to Vanderford.
You may be right. Or they'll say that Mousasi wasn't taking the fight seriously (owing to his nonchalant demeanor)

Vanderford via tko. Later rounds. That man is a cardio machine and has serious power on the ground.
I do think Mousasi will have a bitch of a time stopping Vanderford's take downs, so its entirely possible to see an upset. I think Austin can get it done but finishing Mousasi is almost mission impossible.

I do think Mousasi will have a bitch of a time stopping Vanderford's take downs, so its entirely possible to see an upset. I think Austin can get it done but finishing Mousasi is almost mission impossible.
It’s going to come down to the pressure. If Vanderford can wait and cook the beans before finding the right takedown then he’s got it. If he puts the cart in front of the horse and shoots bc his giant brass balls want it then he’s going to hand Mousasi a dominant position.

Taking down Mousasi is one thing, dealing with the scrambling and sub attempts that will follow the TD is a whole different story, as we saw vs Weidman, who has vey ground game himself.

Its no accident that two of the very best BJJ practitioners of all time in Jacare and Lobato were the only ones who managed to keep Mousasi down in more than decade, very controversially and obscenely in the juice in Lobato's case (preUSADA Jacare also looked suspect af but whatever)

It’s going to come down to the pressure. If Vanderford can wait and cook the beans before finding the right takedown then he’s got it. If he puts the cart in front of the horse and shoots bc his giant brass balls want it then he’s going to hand Mousasi a dominant position.
Mousasi tends to force opponents to shoot for empty take downs due to his striking. Hopefully Vanderford will take his time and wont get picked apart early.

Taking down Mousasi is one thing, dealing with the scrambling and sub attempts that will follow the TD is a whole different story, as we saw vs Weidman, who has vey ground game himself.

Its no accident that two of the very best BJJ practitioners of all time in Jacare and Lobato were the only ones who managed to keep Mousasi down in more than decade, very controversially and obscenely in the juice in Lobato's case (preUSADA Jacare also looked suspect af but whatever)
I guess we'll disagree on Jacare and Lovato being the best bjj practitioners of all the but they are among the absolute elite.

My concern with Mousasi is that he is a bit past his prime. Five years ago, Vanderford would be out of his depth but now is different. Even an unathletic, although very good wrestler, like John Salter, was able to control Mousasi in the ground for the better part of 2 rounds. Vanderford is a younger better version of Salter, so I have no doubt in my mind that he will be able to take down Mousasi. How much damage can he inflict on Mousasi is a different story. Im almost positive he cannot finish Mousasi, but he very well can dominate him on the ground.

The other concern is that Mousasi seems to be underestimating Vanderford's ground game. He suggested that if he gets taken down, he will just stand back up without being too worried about damage or subs. If Mousasi doesnt take Vanderford's ground game serious he will be in for a long night.

I guess we'll disagree on Jacare and Lovato being the best bjj practitioners of all the but they are among the absolute elite.

My concern with Mousasi is that he is a bit past his prime. Five years ago, Vanderford would be out of his depth but now is different. Even an unathletic, although very good wrestler, like John Salter, was able to control Mousasi in the ground for the better part of 2 rounds. Vanderford is a younger better version of Salter, so I have no doubt in my mind that he will be able to take down Mousasi. How much damage can he inflict on Mousasi is a different story. Im almost positive he cannot finish Mousasi, but he very well can dominate him on the ground.

The other concern is that Mousasi seems to be underestimating Vanderford's ground game. He suggested that if he gets taken down, he will just stand back up without being too worried about damage or subs. If Mousasi doesnt take Vanderford's ground game serious he will be in for a long night.

I meant that they are two of the very best, if not the best, BJJ practitioners we've seen in MMA in this weightclass.

You might be right that Mousasi lost a step. With all the mileage he has on his body, any fighter can show up shot at any moment. Gegard's career is pretty legendary

I think it's Aiden Lee since he said he signed a contract

Can crusher who lost easily to his only half decent opponent. Easy night.
Im not expecting Khasan to fight decent opposition on his first contract. I doubt he will fight Law, Brennan, or anyone like that yet. Him and Usman seem to be enjoying the ride and making some money.

Agree, but don't hate the matchup. Khasan is only 21 and this is a step up in competition.
I think its the right match up, even if he is fighting a can crusher. Its someone with a decent record (even if its padded) and a step up in competition. In glad he is staying active.

I meant that they are two of the very best, if not the best, BJJ practitioners we've seen in MMA in this weightclass.

You might be right that Mousasi lost a step. With all the mileage he has on his body, any fighter can show up shot at any moment. Gegard's career is pretty legendary
age and mileage is a mother fucker. Plus let’s not forget Vanderford tapped the boogieman in a pure, professional grappling contest. His jits is really underrated

Back