News Bellator Dublin - Feb 25th - Moose Vs Vanderford

Aren't Salter and Vanderford at the same level? Salter had nothing for Mousasi. I guess this one will end the same way.
Exactly. Vanderford is more explosive than Salter . Anything can happen but if Austin going to pull upset , hes going to have to hurt Gegard standing and then whatever happens , happens. Salter and Vanderford are one of the same as far as taking Mousasi down and keeping him there. He's not big or strong enough to wrestlefuck Gegard.

Reactions: Reb
Yes, Hall caught Moose and he avenged that loss. Lyoto out pointed him on the feet, but again Moose avenged that loss. That is two of only 5 recent losses, the other 3 came at the hands of fighters that employed a wresting heavy attack.

And what does Jacare and Lovato being decorated in BJJ have to do with anything? Did I say they needed to have collegiate pedigrees? Many fighters from all backgrounds end up being strong wrestlers - take gsp for example - where as many people with wrestling backgrounds have done well in BJJ as wrestling plays a huge part in it (i.e. Nicky Rod). Jacare and Lovato's brand of BJJ is very different than someone like Dillon Danis or Keenan Cornelius' both beat Moose by coming forward and using wrestling, takedowns, pressure and not slick BJJ and catching him in flying Gogoplatas.

Not saying Vanderford will win, but he has a wrestling and pressure orientated style that could cause Moose problems. I don't think this is even slightly controversial, weird it triggered so many, and all over little semantics: "Jacares not a wrestler he is a BJJ guy....Lovato did not really win.....strikers have also beat moose so your point makes no sense.....only big wrestlers that are on steroids beat moose....because he beat salter that means he is the perfect fighter now with no holes". <Lmaoo>

I am done here. Enjoy the night of fights.
Machida only guy to " outstrike " an impatient Mousasi who actually walked Lyoto down for much of the first fight and outsruck Lyoto 66-35 . Machida winning fight on significant strikes.

I'm not trying to make Mousasi to be this unbeatable entity . He has shortcomings just like everyone else but hes obviously- evolved on some of those.

Jacare 2 and Lovato fights are apples and cadillacs if you know anything about mma.

Dont mistake sherdog myths and memes with facts.

You support your "facts" about "strong wrestlers" with two BJJ legends: Jacare and Lobato
Machida and Hall say hello, arguably in more emphatic fashion that Jacare and Lobato.
His more troubled wins in the last decade were vs another striker in Storm and an aged Machida in a rematch
He was never in trouble vs Machida in 2nd fight. He outsruck him every round and Lyoto managed one decent counter in 15 minutes. The fight was uneventful but dont know how you get outsruck 36-6 in significant strikes and somehow win a round in a fight where fight was on feet for first 13 minutes and mousasi took him down for final minute and change .

I think judge Mike Bell should be investigated for that fight. Mousasi, who is always stone cold when one of his fights go to a decision, couldn't believe when he heard Bell's scoring( watch his face ,lol).

Last edited:
The fact remains that a lion's share of Moose's losses occurred when a strong offensive wrestling game was employed against him. Even a total shell version of weidman was having success until he gassed and tried getting Moose dq'ed. Both Lovato and Jacare's brand of BJJ is wrestling heavy.

To reiterate - I have Moose here, I want him to win too - but just stating that Vanderford may give him some troubles and has that high cardio, offensive wrestling and pressure style to potentially give Moose problems if his takedowns are landing. Vanderford has looked very good and I do not think anyone knows just how good he is until he takes a step up and takes on a guy like Moose.

p.s. I would hardly call the King Mo fight controversial. Boring and frustrating af? Maybe. But as a big Gegard fan I felt that was a clear victory. If you are that confident Moose got this in the bag, bet it all.

Lovato didn't really employ a wrestling game. He was mostly using half guard sweeps to get on top.

Vanderford is a way more athletic and better cardio version off Salter. Maybe a Lil undersized at MW but Vanderford is a live dog

I'd say Salter is better at methodically holding top control and working towards subs (being so good at that is why he gets away with being so unathletic) but other than that I tend to agree.

I do think Austin is probably a bit more likely to think he can strike with Moose though whereas I think Salter understands he's one dimensional and pursues that immediately.

Not much boss ing .
Moose is going to whoop ford. just like i said he would salter. I just watched ford vs cody and ford wont have anything for moose
Yeah- I mean Mousasi levels above dudes that Ford has gone to decisions with.... and that's pretty recent. That said -as long as he takes all serious , he should continue to dominate. He'll be a significant favorite again.

Should he stop Austin, he needs to go back up to 205 unless he just cant put on proper weight anymore. Hes wasting his last best years at BMMA.

Yeah- I mean Mousasi levels above dudes that Ford has gone to decisions with.... and that's pretty recent. That said -as long as he takes all serious , he should continue to dominate. He'll be a significant favorite again.

Should he stop Austin, he needs to go back up to 205 unless he just cant put on proper weight anymore. Hes wasting his last best years at BMMA.

Eblen is a proper, proper challenge. He should fight that guy.

Eblen is a proper, proper challenge. He should fight that guy.
I'd like to see Eblen fight a Tokov or continue to hound Salter first before getting a rather fast track to title. He looks beastly and if he runs through Salter or beats Tokov then why not.

The world of 185 is depressing (to me) these days.UFC as well .Darren Till about to headline another " meaningful " 185 fight /night card.

I dont even know how to guage how great Israel Adesanya is as a mmartist.

I'd like to see Eblen fight a Tokov or continue to hound Salter first before getting a rather fast track to title. He looks beastly and if he runs through Salter or beats Tokov then why not.

The world of 185 is depressing (to me) these days.UFC as well .Darren Till about to headline another " meaningful " 185 fight /night card.

I dont even know how to guage how great Israel Adesanya is as a mmartist.

I kind of want Salter to avoid Eblen, it's an evil matchup. I don't see any method at all for Salter to win.

185 is good in Russia at least.

I kind of want Salter to avoid Eblen, it's an evil matchup. I don't see any method at all for Salter to win.

185 is good in Russia at least.
Even if true - a tell tale win for Eblen given where Salter is in pecking order and John has a myriad of stoppages over the likes of Austin's decisions.

Given that train of thought , itd skyrocket him to #1 contender . When I say that , I'm not saying Salter better than Austin. In fact, Vanderford more explosive and via means of that , more dangerous than Salter.

Even if true - a tell tale win for Eblen given where Salter is in pecking order and John has a myriad of stoppages over the likes of Austin's decisions.

Given that train of thought , itd skyrocket him to #1 contender . When I say that , I'm not saying Salter better than Austin. In fact, Vanderford more explosive and via means of that , more dangerous than Salter.

I'm not sure he's much better than Salter overall, but he's more of a threat to Mousasi than Salter. Salter's strengths just don't match up well with Mousasi at all.

Back