BANGER photo from Pride FC got me thinking

You’re a giant douche most of the time time, but I agree with everything you said here.

Didn't read but warrrrr pridefc.

jon jones would head kick every bum in that photo into bolivia

Giant Silva was a pro wrestler, he worked in the WWF briefly back in the late 90's but closer to his Pride run he'd been in New Japan in a tag team with Giant Singh(the Great Khali) which is I'd guess how he ended up in Pride.

Yeah, not to sound like an old fart but those events were insane back in the day. What an adrenaline rush. For the longest time people were hoping the UFC would take at least some positive traits from Pride and integrate them into the UFC. If only Dana White didn't have such a huge ego. 20 plus years later and we are still arguing about s***** gloves and poor judge scoring. Go figures

At least Dana White has an open mind for power slap!

I think the big difference in terms of how the talent pool was built is that back in the Japanese era promoters like Pride and RINGS would have very close relationships with a few big supercamps(like Chute Boxe, Russian/Brazilian Top Team, etc) and would make very early big fight offers.

That culture tended to mean you got people from various backgrounds picking up MMA early on were as the UFC system is basically to sit back and wait for the talent to come to you most of the time plus generally sign up a lot of fighters who do not have world class potential ("MMA from day one" guys often)to fill up cards.

Last edited:
Back