Television AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER Live-Action Series (Renewed for Season 2 and 3)

I think they did as good as possible for a PG-14 live action adaptation of this show. It's a little more serious than the cartoon, but still captures most of the charm.

The costume and set design were vibrant and accurate to the cartoon. The acting was surprisingly not terrible (child acting is usually the downfall of any live action adaptation). The CGI throughout was very impressive. They managed to convey all of the major themes of the cartoon, and no character was butchered (Bumi was understandably hard to adapt). There are even aspects of this show that ADDED to the cartoon
the conflict between Zuko and his ship crew, and eventual reveal of them being the 41st division that he saved

Some are complaining about the fire, but there are several scenes where people are straight up burned to death, so its not like they completely neutered the fire bending. It would be difficult to have every instance of fire bending result in cosmetic burns for every scene.

Compared to the M. Night movie, this show is a 20/10. Compared to the cartoon, 8/10. Very enjoyable for fans of the show. I would definitely watch a season 2.

Last edited:
This is so much better than I dared to hope. I'm four episodes in and LOVING it.

It was an impossible task but they obviously loved the original.

The instrumental version of Leaves on the Vine had me messy crying.

Last edited:
If I had one thing to complain about I'd say it's the number of episodes per season. But I do understand, the budget is the main constraint here. These types of live action shows cost a lot of money to make.

I thought they did an excellent job with the show. It's like revisiting an old friend from decades ago (anime version)

If I had one thing to complain about I'd say it's the number of episodes per season. But I do understand, the budget is the main constraint here. These types of live action shows cost a lot of money to make.

I thought they did an excellent job with the show. It's like revisiting an old friend from decades ago (anime version)

Most of their shows feel stretched and bloated, this one didn't.

Great point about revisiting an old friend, that was exactly how I felt.

I thought it was great. They changed up the story a little bit and changed the order of some, but they helped the flow of the story. The sets and costumes were really well done. I don't get some of the negative reviews I have read. THis could've been a disaster like the film, so I'm relieved and hope they make the rest of it soon, before the actors age out.

I think it was really good. Acting was 1000000000 better than OnePiece.

It started off a bit rocky and sort of just felt good enough at first. Midway through I was in and it ended great. They are killing it with the story line involving the fire nation. Anytime anyone from that side is involved it's just great. The Ang side isn't quite as good but it's still good. Hopefully next season we get Toph right away. She's one of the best characters on the show and just makes earth benders seem OP.

I know it's canon from the cartoon, but I don't get how airbenders lose to firebenders, just blow out their flames/remove all the air from them/etc... Seems like the earthbenders would be strongest

Blowing put the flames might be counterproductive because you would be adding more oxygen to the flame.

As for removing all oxygen from them… the sequel series explored what happened when you give airbending powers to someone who is not restrained by Air Nomad cultural pacifism, and it wasn’t pretty.

Both air and water bending have the potential, when taken to their logical conclusion, to be scary AF.

Blowing put the flames might be counterproductive because you would be adding more oxygen to the flame.

As for removing all oxygen from them… the sequel series explored what happened when you give airbending powers to someone who is not restrained by Air Nomad cultural pacifism, and it wasn’t pretty.

Both air and water bending have the potential, when taken to their logical conclusion, to be scary AF.
Yea I didn't like Legend of Korra as much as the original but they found some creative ways to explore the lore overall. I think only one season was kind of dumb (the one with the 4 benders) but the rest each had a good story.

Update: March 6, 2023

AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER Renewed at Netflix for Final Two Seasons

21DxbJp.jpeg

Netflix is doubling down on Avatar: The Last Airbender. The streamer has renewed the lavish live-action adaptation of the Nickelodeon series for two more seasons.

The order will conclude the story of Aang's journey to become the Avatar in fantastical world. Since the show’s Feb. 22 debut, the series has been Netflix’s top English TV show with 41.1 million views, according to the streamer.

While the first season was eight episodes, there’s no word yet on the episode count of the final two seasons. Netflix has done double season renewals before (on shows like Emily In Paris and Stranger Things), but this might be the first time the streamer has ordered two seasons to close out a series. The Avatar animated series likewise told its story across three seasons.

The story follows Aang (Gordon Cormier), the young Avatar, as he learns to master the four elements (Water, Earth, Fire, Air) to restore balance to a world threatened by the Fire Nation.

The Last Airbender also stars Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as General Iroh, Ken Leung as Commander Zhao, Elizabeth Yu as Princess Azula, Dallas Liu as Prince Zuko and Kiawentiio as Katara and Ian Ousley as Sokka.

The project is a reimagining of the Nickelodeon animated series which ran for three seasons starting in 2005. Albert Kim serves as showrunner, executive producer and writer. Kim executive produces alongside Dan Lin, Lindsey Liberatore, Jabbar Raisani and Michael Goi. Roseanne Liang will direct alongside Goi, Raisani and Jet Wilkinson.

Season 1 was okay, but I'll probably watch.

Feedback from my teenage daughter:

Overall solid, but not as good as the animated series.

She thinks the decision to make it a little more pg 13 and less goofy was a mistake.

Part of the charm of the original series was that you have a bunch of kids in a horrible situation, orphaned, surrounded by civil war and genocide, but they're ultimately still kids.

So they goof off, they're silly. Being silly in spite of the terrible backdrop of a wartorn landscape was a big part of the charm.

The series could get really dramatic really fast if it dropped the humor, and they felt even slightly dialing back on the humor was a mistake.

Also she thought many of the women's wigs were terrible, the wig on the moon girl at the north pole was bad and you could see her dark hair poking out from the sides. Actress who played May has bangs already in her headshots that could have been styled into a version of the cartoon haircut but they went with a bad wig instead.

Still worlds better than the previous live action film.

Overall it got all the kids to start a rewatch of s2 and s3 of the animated series after they finished s1 live action.

They must want to wrap things up while the lead is still a kid.

Yeah they need to shoot s2 and s3 ASAP or the cast will outgrow the plot.

My kids also pointed out that the actor from Kim's Convenience needs to start hitting the gym right now.

After watching Iroh getting buff in prison in the cartoon "does this mean we're gonna see Mr Kim get ripped?"

I just started watching teh first 2 episodes, and I love how the first ep filleded in some history we weren't privy too in teh anime.

I'm eager to see more... and I'd love to see some episodes at the end that traverse the gap to him having kidz n such. Per teh discussion in this thread... they could actually allow teh lead kid to grow oop a bit if they dabble in post-cartoon storiez.

I'm expecting full on avatar state as they climax.
fire-earth.gif

iu

Woops... I mean...
iu

iu

Glad to see it got renewed, season 1 should incredible potential. Visually the show was great.

I think some of the shows flaws will be ironed out next season, namely everything involing Katara’s character development and acting. I think that the actress being a minor (child labor laws) limited the writers in terms of the depth they could explore her character, which is why Sokka got so much screen time. Next season, the actress will have more experience, and won’t have limited time on set, so Katara will have a more prominent role helping Aang learn waterbending.

Everything else season 1 worked for me. Zuko’s character was handled especially well. The writing (the small changes to his story were brilliant) and actor were standouts.

Hope they pull it off better than the terrible M. Night movie version. The animated series was one of the best cartoons ever made and it deserved a better live-action adaptation.
I prefer Japanese anime but I love this. Tbh I liked it the movie the moon spirit is a baddie.

Glad to see it got renewed, season 1 should incredible potential. Visually the show was great.

I think some of the shows flaws will be ironed out next season, namely everything involing Katara’s character development and acting. I think that the actress being a minor (child labor laws) limited the writers in terms of the depth they could explore her character, which is why Sokka got so much screen time. Next season, the actress will have more experience, and won’t have limited time on set, so Katara will have a more prominent role helping Aang learn waterbending.

Everything else season 1 worked for me. Zuko’s character was handled especially well. The writing (the small changes to his story were brilliant) and actor were standouts.
I am happy it wasn't woke dog shit

It was passable on all fronts, but it was tough to watch when the Cartoon did literally every single thing better:

The voice acting of the cartoon was 10/10, including legends like goddamn Jennifer Hale; the live action has teenagers trying their best.

Not the show's fault per se, but trying to cram everything into only 8 episodes meant the pacing and character development was atrocious compared to the cartoon; problems and roadblocks are introduced and immediately solved, sometime within the same scene. You don't get much of Aang's fun loving childish side, because he needs to say "I am trying to save the world" 5 times per episode.

And visually, I always say I prefer high quality animation of "Magic powers" to live action-CGI any day of the week.

I would have loved a remade cartoon, perhaps done in a different art style with really high quality animation instead of this.

Back