Media ATT Owner Dan Lambert sends subliminal shot at Dustin's S&C Trainer, Phil Daru

Outliers should never be considered as proof of anything. Personally, I find these innovative S&C methodologies fascinating. They may or may not work as advertised, but I perceive them as a development of sports related science and medicine.
some of these methodologies have been year for centuries. The cupping thing has been here since BCE iirc. That's crazy its making its rounds again.

the maths thing is a carry over from SF training. Basically the ability to continue doing complex tasks when physically exhausted. It is applicable to MMA, where you need to continue to implement a gameplan or techniques when physically exhausted. It has more value being used in between rounds to simulate recovering whilst listening to your corners instructions.
That's the thing he wasn't physically exhausted. That's a different type of training to keep your mind sharp while body is physically weak and burnt out. What they were doing in the video wasn't that. He was balancing on 1 leg while doing it. He wasn't exhausted or physically tired. Different type of training than what SF does.

Actual pilots and Formula 1 drivers use simulations. I actually even remember an amateur real life F1 driver losing to a gamer who’s pretty good at the F1 simulation games in a real life race. I wonder what specific simulation training there could be to help boxers.
I personally like FPS games to speed up my eye coordination and reflexes. The faster paced the better. Also fighting games are great also, because there's always techniques and strategies you have to use. Each character has different fighting style and moves list and you have to figure out their weakness to exploit or memorize their moves list and techniques, and attack patterns. Great for developing a strategic mind trying to figure out how to exploit fighting styles and learn to pay attention to fighters techniques/patterns/timings/movements/etc. I haven't tried any VR boxing games but I can see that being effective as well once the quality and games get better.

Yeah simulations is a great training tool in my opinion. Lets you train your mind during simulations. It's pretty much like when boxers visualize and shadow box. But with vr or games you don't have to visualize there are actual simulations that can train your mind/reactions/reflexes/strategies/tactics/etc. Simulation training should be done with real physical training. Less wear and tear and less expensive using simulation for training, instead of doing all live training all the time. If the simulations are realistic enough or have elements that you encounter in live settings you can transfer those skills over to your live physical skill sets.

Actual pilots and Formula 1 drivers use simulations. I actually even remember an amateur real life F1 driver losing to a gamer who’s pretty good at the F1 simulation games in a real life race. I wonder what specific simulation training there could be to help boxers.
I personally like FPS games to speed up my eye coordination and reflexes. The faster paced the better. Also fighting games are great also, because there's always techniques and strategies you have to use. Each character has different fighting style and moves list and you have to figure out their weakness to exploit or memorize their moves list and techniques, and attack patterns. Great for developing a strategic mind trying to figure out how to exploit fighting styles and learn to pay attention to fighters techniques/patterns/timings/movements/etc. I haven't tried any VR boxing games but I can see that being effective as well once the quality and games get better.

Yeah simulations is a great training tool in my opinion. Lets you train your mind during simulations. It's pretty much like when boxers visualize and shadow box. But with vr or games you don't have to visualize there are actual simulations that can train your mind/reactions/reflexes/strategies/tactics/etc. Simulation training should be done with real physical training. Less wear and tear and less expensive using simulation for training, instead of doing all live training all the time. If the simulations are realistic enough or have elements that you encounter in live settings you can transfer those skills over to your live physical skill sets.

He’s 100% correct.

Too many athletes make S&C the main focus of their training. Drilling techniques, sparring with various intensity and doing sports specific movements should make up the majority of training
Yup! As a former strength coach myself it sickens me to see these snake oil salesman leading fighters down the wrong path and giving them a false sense of security

Training S&C and technique are both important. And it takes a good head coach to know how much of each their fighter should be doing in any given camp.

Don't know enough about this situation to really comment. For what it's worth, wrestlers in my area (including me) did tons of stairs growing up. Conditioning was also only 1/3 of our 3-4 hour practices.

that's what I usually hear from all professionals of any sport or trade. Do more of your discipline. I followed Pro gamers and they said the best way to get better at a game is to play the game. Aim trainers won't work because there are so many variables that can't be replicated from not playing the same game.

I guess it all depends on the athlete.
You have guys like Ryan who say that lifting helps their jits.
Andre skyrocketed as well after S&C.
Overeems career was largely successful after incorporating S&C.

Diaz brothers have great cardio by doing other sports like triathalons...

I think we can pick and choose all we want but in Dustin's case he's training specific movements for sports specific function. I think Lamberts way off here.

I guess it all depends on the athlete.
You have guys like Ryan who say that lifting helps their jits.
Andre skyrocketed as well after S&C.
Overeems career was largely successful after incorporating S&C.

Diaz brothers have great cardio by doing other sports like triathalons...

I think we can pick and choose all we want but in Dustin's case he's training specific movements for sports specific function. I think Lamberts way off here.
I agree with lambert, but I say if the athlete is comfortable with what they're comfortable with and feels it yelds them results, keep doing it.

Lambert is speaking from an owner perspective. If he has a guy on the payroll and he doesn't see them yielding results for much of the fighters, then its best to cut him. If he feels like the guy is superceding the training by his gym or wants to be involved, its best to cut him.

He didn't say all S/C was bad. He just had an issue with some of the quackery.

If dustin is paying that guy out of pocket while training with ATT in florida, have at it. I respect Daru's hustle even if I don't agree with it. It may sound like I'm coming across hating, but I'm not really hating, I'm just sharing what I think is BS and wanting to share for discussion purposes.

Every legendary boxing trainer i've heard speak on it say its pretty much useless. There's absolutely nothing they provide that can't be accomplished with shadow boxing + bag work, you don't even need a trainer physically involved to drill. Back in the day, the trainer would shout instructions as the fighter hit the bag sometimes, but most of the instruction was during sparring. All high level pros should be able to do self directed drills in shadow boxing and bag work. Everything else is superfluous.
Total nonsense. Pad work is an integral part of Muay Thai in Thailand and they hardly ever spar other then doing clinching. Proper pad work protects the fighter from taking too many hits in sparring. Tell us the names of all these “legendary boxing trainers”. Your bluffing.

Total nonsense. Pad work is an integral part of Muay Thai in Thailand and they hardly ever spar other then doing clinching. Proper pad work protects the fighter from taking too many hits in sparring. Tell us the names of all these “legendary boxing trainers”. Your bluffing.
Don’t give a shit about Muay Thai, modern boxing has a 150 year history as an organized sport with professional training, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Charley Burley, Joe Louis,….none of the greats worked pads, and they were all MORE active than current boxers by far. So please tell me how pad work protects fighters?

Last edited:
T

This is actually a really good workout lol. Probably would help with footwork as well haha.
Yeah it’s a great workout. Haha helped me maintain shape for my cross country season while I was too lazy to run

That's the thing he wasn't physically exhausted. That's a different type of training to keep your mind sharp while body is physically weak and burnt out. What they were doing in the video wasn't that. He was balancing on 1 leg while doing it. He wasn't exhausted or physically tired. Different type of training than what SF does.

I completely agree. that type makes more sense in the context of MMA. What they are showing is what they use with F1 racers and fighter pilots instead. People in specific positions making split second decisions and reactions.

Don’t give a shit about Muay Thai, modern boxing has a 150 year history as an organized sport with professional training, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali, Charley Burley, Joe Louis,….none of the greats worked pads, and they were all MORE active than current boxers by far. So please tell me how pad work protects fighters?
Hah! You don’t know what you are talking about and you know nothing about combat sports. No point discussing it any further with you as your ignorance is close to 100%.

Hah! You don’t know what you are talking about and you know nothing about combat sports. No point discussing it any further with you as your ignorance is close to 100%.
That’s right, you can’t answer the question lol. Way to throw up the white flag dumbass.

I completely agree. that type makes more sense in the context of MMA. What they are showing is what they use with F1 racers and fighter pilots instead. People in specific positions making split second decisions and reactions.
I don't think it's face paced enough from what I saw on the video. Seems pretty slow paced to me or maybe it was just him starting that type of training. I do my training with video games and other physical reflex/reaction time training. I just haven't seen much success with the fighters I've seen using the light training. Didn't really see any noticeable reaction time/reflex/speed differences in their fights. The reflex/reaction training that I do physically is more geared towards fighting movements and reactions. Since it'll be during those movements that I'll have to make those decisions and also when I would have to react to things happening.

I don't think it's face paced enough from what I saw on the video. Seems pretty slow paced to me or maybe it was just him starting that type of training. I do my training with video games and other physical reflex/reaction time training. I just haven't seen much success with the fighters I've seen using the light training. Didn't really see any noticeable reaction time/reflex/speed differences in their fights. The reflex/reaction training that I do physically is more geared towards fighting movements and reactions. Since it'll be during those movements that I'll have to make those decisions and also when I would have to react to things happening.

GSP went over this type of thing with Joe Rogan or Lex Friedman. It's a good listen.

Yeah and sports medicine has a lot of quackery in it. I mentioned the suction cups, the kinesio tape. Its all BS. External tape can't help internal tendons or muscles. I see some people wearing it for Labrum tears in the NBA to mitigate the pain until they have surgery. It's BS. Shit doesn't work.

suction cup is not bullshit it's awesome. İ did it on my shoulder my brother did it on his leg it's not the philosophical stone of course but it gives results. You should try it, studies are not the end all be all

Back