Media ATT Owner Dan Lambert sends subliminal shot at Dustin's S&C Trainer, Phil Daru

Plyos work

Plyos while doing a coloring book is foolery

Are we really surprised Dustin is one of the rubes who can’t figure this out?

{<hhh]

"When a striking coach doesn't know how to strike, its pretty obvious, right? If the S&C guy is telling you to hop on 1-leg, holding your breath for the polymetric air distribution and doing math equations while you're doing it..how the fuck do you know if that works or not?"
View attachment 871865

The Quackery he's talking about:

Seems like he wanted to train for Khabib doing stairs and "cognitive conditioning" touching color coded squares and holding a color coded stick.

You get better at wrestling conditioning by wrestling. All that heart rate stuff is quackery.

* Here is Phil Daru talking about [improving Dustin's power and footwork(?!) against conor:

Talks about angling out, Circling out, etc. Sounds like something that's more suitable for a striking coach.

Idk man Dustins the most successful fighter out of that camp right now so I don’t know see how now would be the time to cite Phil as ineffective or incompetent. Try Phil’s workouts before you call him a quack. If you actually watch the vids you’d know that he doesn’t kill Dustin and he know his place in the regimen. People just don’t like how forward Phil’s been with his branding. Which is crazy coming from Masvidal. Them some drama queen over there it sounds like tho.

What Phil Daru does makes sense but it should never overtake the essential training of the sport. He should have took a step back and coordinate with one of the striking or grappling coaches to do this at the end of the their session.

Reactions: Yep
What Phil Daru does makes sense but it should never overtake the essential training of the sport. He should have took a step back and coordinate with one of the striking or grappling coaches to do this at the end of the their session.
Seems pretty reasonable. These guys should get off the airdyne as well. They don’t even have bikes in the octagon. So silly. How could working on reflexes ever help? You’re born with what you got and should never change it. If you’re a grappler you should just grapple. If you’re a striker you should just strike. None of it helps. Working on your mind, body, and soul is highly overrated. Just punch, dummies. It’s the only way.

In all fairness, Dustin trained with Mike Brown for the fight aspect. Whatever he does with Daru doesn't seems to affect the overall game plan. If Daru wanted bullshit workouts for the khabib fight the results are there, Dustin got choked.

You train for a fight with fight situations, not with Fabia bullshit stuff.

Idk man Dustins the most successful fighter out of that camp right now so I don’t know see how now would be the time to cite Phil as ineffective or incompetent. Try Phil’s workouts before you call him a quack. If you actually watch the vids you’d know that he doesn’t kill Dustin and he know his place in the regimen. People just don’t like how forward Phil’s been with his branding. Which is crazy coming from Masvidal. Them some drama queen over there it sounds like tho.
He can be ineffective in some methods while being useful in others. It's not black or white. You don't have to kill someone in workouts for it to be quack. All I am doing is questioning some of his methods. I'm sure he has some shit that works, but some of the shit he's branding and some of the shit he's marketing to to boost clientele, I see no evidence for. I provided links in this post

I'm not hating on Daru. Get your money. I think as long as they are superstitious athletes and atheletes that like routine, there's guys like Daru out there for them. There's a market for that. If it makes them feel comfortable, go for it.

But where's the evidence? It's not about masvidal. It's about the whole evidence.

Cognitive conditioning is a brand by his partner. It is not under the scientific literature that way. I had to look up brain trainers or games like that.

This is a good video to illustrate my point. What's the difference in Dustin doing this while stationary bit TJ is swinging around. What makes one more effective over the other?

Last edited:
I love it when people who don't know anything on a subject accuse other people of not knowing anything and then use google searches to confirm their bias

I'm only asking for evidence and cited peer review works but fair enough if that isn't good for you. Your choice. Believe what you want. I'm only providing what I think is an interesting topic for a discussion board.

Training the brain with the color thing looks gimmicky.

To his macro point, dare I say it's situational?

Of course, training skills for your sport is more important than S&C. That said, how many guys shit the bit with their gas tank? GSP is one of the goats and took S&C as religion according to him. You're telling me that didn't help his particular fighting style and career dominance?

Considering how many guys shit the bed with their bad cardio during fights, I would not say S&C is the sprinkle at the top of the desert.

Nothing is that black and white.
Strength and conditioning have it's place. If you listen to the video, they say that. I say that too. I share the same conclusion with them it's only the gurus I have issues with is their methods and effectiveness. If people want to keep using quacks, go ahead. It's not all quack. There's some mixed in with real stuff that works.

The issue Dan has is they want to psyche out people as part to sell their brand and take away the fighters focus away from their gyms and skills training and overstepping their boundaries as it relates to what they do.

Training the brain with the color thing looks gimmicky.

To his macro point, dare I say it's situational?

Of course, training skills for your sport is more important than S&C. That said, how many guys shit the bit with their gas tank? GSP is one of the goats and took S&C as religion according to him. You're telling me that didn't help his particular fighting style and career dominance?

Considering how many guys shit the bed with their bad cardio during fights, I would not say S&C is the sprinkle at the top of the desert.

Nothing is that black and white.

He said it was mostly to look good though

Yeah and sports medicine has a lot of quackery in it. I mentioned the suction cups, the kinesio tape. Its all BS. External tape can't help internal tendons or muscles. I see some people wearing it for Labrum tears in the NBA to mitigate the pain until they have surgery. It's BS. Shit doesn't work.

I work as a sports trainer for a local australian football team here for a very short period. The trainer was going over strapping up injuries for me. After he did a single strip of tape under one guys knee I asked him what it did and he said" Absolutely nothing, but it helps that guy by him thinking it does." As someone with repeated injuries I worked out pretty quick that half of these things are just placebo's and remind me to do my sport a little more careful until it feels good again.

The reflex training I see a lot of doesn't really transfer over to fighting. That light stuff won't make your reactions and reflex better when it comes to actual striking. You'll get better at touching lights though.

Want faster reaction time and learning how to do quick analyzing and decision making? Play some fast paced video games. Math problems while doing S&C is not going to do much for fighting lol.

the maths thing is a carry over from SF training. Basically the ability to continue doing complex tasks when physically exhausted. It is applicable to MMA, where you need to continue to implement a gameplan or techniques when physically exhausted. It has more value being used in between rounds to simulate recovering whilst listening to your corners instructions.

I don't think it's black and white. Conor is known for mostly just sparring in training camps (despite him promoting his McGregor FAST shit on social media). His conditioning is abysmal.

RDA was doing all that weird S&C stuff when he was at his peak and credited it for a lot of his success.

I don't think it's black and white. Conor is known for mostly just sparring in training camps (despite him promoting his McGregor FAST shit on social media). His conditioning is abysmal.

RDA was doing all that weird S&C stuff when he was at his peak and credited it for a lot of his success.
Yes, and obviously GSP was in great shape.

Would he have had as much success if S&C wasn't an obsession? We'll never know.

The entire Fitness Industry is fillllllled with scam artists like this... work ethic and genetics make great athletes... not S&C coaches... thousands of people could give Jon Jones an adequate S&C routine and have it work
So you mean snake oil doesn't work?!!? What would I do with boxes of snake oil in my basement now?
Sometimes S&C is all you need...
Sometimes...just be flow-y
U8xerT.gif

He’s 100% correct.

Too many athletes make S&C the main focus of their training. Drilling techniques, sparring with various intensity and doing sports specific movements should make up the majority of training
Exactly,
You can have a car(body) that is well built and goes really fast. But the driver(skill/mind) is the technique that needs to stay sharp to use that car. It’s a balance.

Seems pretty reasonable. These guys should get off the airdyne as well. They don’t even have bikes in the octagon. So silly. How could working on reflexes ever help? You’re born with what you got and should never change it. If you’re a grappler you should just grapple. If you’re a striker you should just strike. None of it helps. Working on your mind, body, and soul is highly overrated. Just punch, dummies. It’s the only way.
Do you have proof that you can't condition your central nervous system to improve reflexes/reaction time?

Valentina claims to not lift weights or do S&C at all yet she is easily one of the strongest female fighters compared to her relative weight and whatever the hell she does seems to constantly sharpen her.

Take what works. Discard that which does not. Isn't that the essence of MMA?

Well people are starting to notice that "the weird stuff" is not so weird.

Penn was the first fighter to use the Marinovich system for two fights and in those two fights he looked unstoppable.

Could have been worse like Alex Ariza the S&C coach of Manny Pacman giving boxing instructions during fights lmao.
Yeah that is the definition of not sticking to your area of specialty. And Manny at his best is a non stop barrage of punches and movement - which is what Alex helped him with (and probably some special vitamins from other guys in his camp).

Back