Media ATT Owner Dan Lambert sends subliminal shot at Dustin's S&C Trainer, Phil Daru

It's clear by his name, he took the Livestrong business model and ran with it lol

Daru's interviews for the pre khabib fight were hilarious, even as someone who don't know a lot about S&C, hearing him talking about 'working on Isometrics' and other stuff made me go 'ugh' what dustin needed was work on how to reverse the TD or work on his switches, not plyometrics.

"When a striking coach doesn't know how to strike, its pretty obvious, right? If the S&C guy is telling you to hop on 1-leg, holding your breath for the polymetric air distribution and doing math equations while you're doing it..how the fuck do you know if that works or not?"
View attachment 871865

The Quackery he's talking about:

Seems like he wanted to train for Khabib doing stairs and "cognitive conditioning" touching color coded squares and holding a color coded stick.

You get better at wrestling conditioning by wrestling. All that heart rate stuff is quackery.

* Here is Phil Daru talking about [improving Dustin's power and footwork(?!) against conor:

Talks about angling out, Circling out, etc. Sounds like something that's more suitable for a striking coach.

Yikes.
Didn't realize Phil was doing this snake oil shit.
I've always thought that S&C should be completely separate from fighting/ skill work.
The goals should be catered specifically to the athlete, but at the end of the day all you're trying to do is get stronger, faster, and better conditioned.
Build a program around that and keep the skill work separate.

Edit: Just realized Phil is one of those Conjugate Method/ Westside Barbell clowns.
It all makes sense now, those dudes are fucking delusional.

Daru's interviews for the pre khabib fight were hilarious, even as someone who don't know a lot about S&C, hearing him talking about 'working on Isometrics' and other stuff made me go 'ugh' what dustin needed was work on how to reverse the TD or work on his switches, not plyometrics.
When I first saw Daru, I thought he was his wrestling coach who also served as an S/C Coach. The first time I watched him was him watching in on a session with Dustin wrestling. But then I watched the other stuff and I'm like this is not going to work for Khabib. Khabib is not doing all this fake science stuff like that. He's drilling. I think the most I saw him do was air resistance while drilling takedowns that @moosaev posted. That seems applicable.

This other stuff dustin was doing was a whole lot of garbage. I mean he did more. I heard several interviews of him for the khabib fight and now dustin and I say he's a quack. When I do, I always get pushback so, it was kinda cool lambert came out and actually told people why he was fired without saying his name.

Edit: Just realized Phil is one of those Conjugate Method/ Westside Barbell clowns.
It all makes sense now, those dudes are fucking delusional.
The Westside Method has its place as an effective method of increasing maximum strength. I did a version of the original conjugate system of the 90s with bands, alternating reps, weights, and exercises during high school, and I never plateau'd. Given I had only been training for two years as a 16 year old, it could be inconsequential, but I never had an issue with my progression since I made steady progress whereas my friends were trying new programs every now and then.

From a conditioning standpoint, plyometrics and alternating exercises make sense for explosive athletes, but I agree a modern Westside system is unnecessary for these kinds of athletes.

So subliminal, our brains never registered the insult

I've been saying the same thing for years. I'm glad an actual owner of a gym sides with my line of thinking
There's a lot of quackery that seeps into martial arts training, its weird. Even in boxing, there are all sorts of really dumb drills that have zero functional benefit but are used in many gyms. Pool noodles, those little balls tethered to the head that Lomachenko uses, even padwork. None of it really helps. Sugar Ray Robinson never hit pads a day in his life, the only things he did were shadow boxing, heavy bag, speed bag, road work, and sparring. Thats literally ALL you need for boxing according to all the legendary trainers.

Last edited:
Yeah and sports medicine has a lot of quackery in it. I mentioned the suction cups, the kinesio tape. Its all BS. External tape can't help internal tendons or muscles. I see some people wearing it for Labrum tears in the NBA to mitigate the pain until they have surgery. It's BS. Shit doesn't work.

The tape always infuriates me. This also ties into that story about Tyron and Hector and thr woman they were both cheating on their spouses with, with Tyron yapping about how he'd experienced tendon or muscle tears and was great at wrapping legs to heal them. LOL! Those menthol bandaid wraps are hilarious as well.

Firas Zahabi is a geek and not nearly the athlete of a Dan Snyder or even your average D1 wrestler.

Btw, Russians and Cubans take their wrestling very seriously. In Cuba kids don't eat if they don't perform lol
Not saying they don’t take it seriously I’m saying they incorporate it more in their workouts. Look at Khabib and his team, they play basketball, they do long wrestling sessions, it’s more fun. And yeah I agree Firas is a nerd

I train in judo/sambo, boxing and taekwondo/tang soo do.

All arts have the same idea with conditioning. If you want more cardio you do the moves faster and faster. Increase workload in the given session.

We have technique day and conditioning days. Conditioning days are drilling technique as fast and strung as possible to push to your limits.

This is a weird thread. Of course training anything with reflexes is going to improve your reflexes. Of course being genetically predisposed to have good reflexes is going to be better in the long run for having good reflexes. To say aim trainers don’t help you play a game is correct. To say they won’t help you with your aim would be silly. And aim trainers these days are more advanced than ever. And there’s not a single pro that is young and relies on aim that would be bad in an aim trainer. Whether they use them or not doesn’t matter. If they used them they might see improvement. But to suggest because they don’t use them
Means there is no reason to use them is weird. Problem solving in highly stressful physical scenarios is absolutely going to translate. Now, having it translate while you’re getting punched in the face without training it while punched in the face seems weird.

He’s 100% correct.

Too many athletes make S&C the main focus of their training. Drilling techniques, sparring with various intensity and doing sports specific movements should make up the majority of training
Robbie revigorated and extended his career (at ATT actually) when he dropped sparring and focused on technique and S&C.

He said something like he knows how to fight already so what's the point of doing hours upon hours of sparring just to damage himself and add milage to his body. With this approach he won and defended the WW title.

All I'm saying is there's no best approach for everyone. Everyone is different and needs different things to get better. An amazing athlete might need hours of sparring to get better while an established fighter night just need to keep his body in the best shape as possible.

I'm not too sure, I had very weak reflexes before and started focusing on it specifically. I believe it can be trained, I just don't think most people are training it in a way that can transfer over with their fighting movements. I think that's the problem why people think it can't be improved. Boxers train reflexes all the time in ways that benefit their fighting style. You see it transfer from their training to their fighting because they work on the same movements and reactions. The light stuff will not replicate that at all. That's why you are not seeing results from the fighters doing the light training.

Aim trainers with the mouse may not make you drive a car better, but you may be able to improve your overall focus and awareness. You may be able to react to things faster visually from the aim training you do. I can easily avoid accidents from all the video games I play. I know where all the cars are and I predict how they'll move. So I think it's possible to improve certain aspects even while you work on it doing something unrelated because it will improve your overall reaction time and awareness. When you're in a car the windshield is like a giant computer screen, you can picture it like that to make transferring the skills from your aim training/video games to improve your driving skills.
Actual pilots and Formula 1 drivers use simulations. I actually even remember an amateur real life F1 driver losing to a gamer who’s pretty good at the F1 simulation games in a real life race. I wonder what specific simulation training there could be to help boxers.

There's a lot of quackery that seeps into martial arts training, its weird. Even in boxing, there are all sorts of really dumb drills that have zero functional benefit but are used in many gyms. Pool noodles, those little balls tethered to the head that Lomachenko uses, even padwork. None of it really helps. Sugar Ray Robinson never hit pads a day in his life, the only things he did were shadow boxing, heavy bag, speed bag, road work, and sparring. Thats literally ALL you need for boxing according to all the legendary trainers.
Pool noodles are actually amazing training tools lol, it saves the health of the boxer and trainer too because they can drill without having to put hands on eachother.

Training the brain with the color thing looks gimmicky.

To his macro point, dare I say it's situational?

Of course, training skills for your sport is more important than S&C. That said, how many guys shit the bit with their gas tank? GSP is one of the goats and took S&C as religion according to him. You're telling me that didn't help his particular fighting style and career dominance?

Considering how many guys shit the bed with their bad cardio during fights, I would not say S&C is the sprinkle at the top of the desert.

Nothing is that black and white.

Pool noodles are actually amazing training tools lol, it saves the health of the boxer and trainer too because they can drill without having to put hands on eachother.
Every legendary boxing trainer i've heard speak on it say its pretty much useless. There's absolutely nothing they provide that can't be accomplished with shadow boxing + bag work, you don't even need a trainer physically involved to drill. Back in the day, the trainer would shout instructions as the fighter hit the bag sometimes, but most of the instruction was during sparring. All high level pros should be able to do self directed drills in shadow boxing and bag work. Everything else is superfluous.

I love it when people who don't know anything on a subject accuse other people of not knowing anything and then use google searches to confirm their bias

Yeah and sports medicine has a lot of quackery in it. I mentioned the suction cups, the kinesio tape. Its all BS. External tape can't help internal tendons or muscles. I see some people wearing it for Labrum tears in the NBA to mitigate the pain until they have surgery. It's BS. Shit doesn't work.
The tape is honestly the weirdest trend I have noticed even in top level sports.

Is it just me or should these guys just play dance dance revolution to build the cognitive skills

Back