Social Asian American rejected from 16/18 colleges despite 4.2 GPA and 1590 SAT score.

Its weird that you'll say it, then act repulsed when someone says it back to you.

It's weird that I'm saying we shouldn't make it about race without further information and then you make it about race while pretending to say something intelligent? Yeah, that's weird.

If you want to solve an important problem, I've got something for you. You'll be helping out your friends struggling as badly as you are. Fire up that brilliant mind for us.

Provide any realistic demographics model you want for student applications that would lead to someone in the academic top 0.1% being rejected based on racism with a resulting black student population of 0.75%.

Good luck.

<36>

Last edited:
It's weird that I'm saying we shouldn't make it about race and then you make it about race while pretending to say something intelligent? Yeah, that's weird.

If you want to solve an important problem, I've got something for you. You'll be helping out your friends struggling as badly as you are. Fire up that brilliant mind for us.

Provide any realistic demographics model you want for student applications that would lead to someone in the academic top 0.1% being rejected based on racism with a resulting black student population of 0.75%.

Good luck.

<36>
I'm just amused that you think this kid who has these qualifications likely put forth no effort. You can get off your soapbox, that particular post was just dumb.

I'm just amused that you think this kid who has these qualifications likely put forth no effort. You can get off your soapbox, that particular post was just dumb.

I never made any conclusions, Galileo. I never said he "likely" did anything. Indeed, there's more to an application than just test scores and GPA. It would be very helpful to have all information before making conclusions.

That's what I thought though. No answer to an actual question. Stick to what you do best.

childish-nose.gif

The problem is when you survey these individuals. The answer you get will be based on whether it effects them directly. If it doesn't the most likely answer will be. "It's a good thing to think about diversity." Mind you, they probably already got their degree and career, so fuck that other Asian who's getting denied opportunities because of racial quotas.

It's so damn easy to champion DEI when you already have your seat at the table of prosperity. But ask yourself to give it up to appease DEI goals and you'll be crying just like everyone else who is being left out.
in the article it says: On the other hand, about three-quarters of all Asian adults (76%) say race or ethnicity should not factor into college admissions decisions.

that's why polls can be bullshit, if people dont completely understand the question and implications of said practice, compared to laymen's questioning. Either way, this should not be about majority decision, using ethnicity for discrimination should be banned.

So the fact he was rejected from 16/18 schools despite being in the .0001% of all high school graduates academically isn't proof enough that racism exists against Asian American students ? Being a cynical troll isn't getting you very far in this thread. You're rightfully getting taken to the woodshed for your views.

It's been fun and sad watching you try and justify racism against Asian Americans.

https://www.highereddive.com/news/a...dmissions-disadvantage-white-students/690152/

Pump the breaks. He isn't a 1 out of 10,000 student. If you are going to fight and say this is racism, you have to also explain why there is a tremendous bias towards foreign Asians in many technical programs and especially graduate school. Technical grad schools basically are floated entirely by foreign tuition, aside from grants. It becomes incredibly ridiculous to argue racism when grad schools are supported by asian students. Like the university hates them when they are undergrads but loves them when they are grad students? Please. It would be very easy to say that foreign Asians are given an incredible bias over home soil citizens even though all universities receive tax payer funding.

LOL. 1590 on the SAT is extraordinary, that's in the top 0.1% of SAT scores (you're already in the Top 1% at 1520), and well above the average for every school to which he applied. Furthermore, over half of the schools denying him were not California public schools governed by Prop 209, and that prop's existence hasn't necessarily realized its goals.
I didn't say the score wasn't extraordinary in the general sense. I said it wasn't extraordinary in the context of the schools he was applying to and the major he was choosing to pursue.

Most of the schools he applied to outside of California are elite schools with high standards for their Comp Sci program. He's not applying to English programs or Art History programs, he's applying to Comp Sci programs and the standards for those programs are significantly higher than the average standards for most schools.

For example, I think the MIT average SAT score is 1560. In that context, 1590 is above average but it's not extraordinary.

As for Prop 209 -- you can look up the data on how Prop 209 changed California admissions outcomes. The data is literally decades old. And the biggest winners under that law were Asian American students. They saw massive increases in admission rates and numbers under the program.

He’s still above average for those who get accepted.
Ok, let's say it's above average. But it's not exceptional. It's not so above average than getting rejected is some unbelievable event.

A lot of above average people don't get what they want because there are a lot of above average people out there and there are a limited number of opportunities. I get that the American selling point is that if you work hard and outperform others, you will be granted opportunities. But that's a relative question, not an absolute. Harvard could fill their entire admissions class with kids who get 1550+ SAT scores. MIT probably can as well. At that score range, 1550-1600, differences are negligible and admissions turns on additional criteria.

That's why these stories are misleading, imo. Dude didn't rejected from JUCOs with those scores. He got rejected from programs with extremely high criteria to begin with. It's more emblematic of Americans not understanding just how competitive the landscape has become than a travesty of justice.

Ok, let's say it's above average. But it's not exceptional. It's not so above average than getting rejected is some unbelievable event.

A lot of above average people don't get what they want because there are a lot of above average people out there and there are a limited number of opportunities. I get that the American selling point is that if you work hard and outperform others, you will be granted opportunities. But that's a relative question, not an absolute. Harvard could fill their entire admissions class with kids who get 1550+ SAT scores. MIT probably can as well. At that score range, 1550-1600, differences are negligible and admissions turns on additional criteria.

That's why these stories are misleading, imo. Dude didn't rejected from JUCOs with those scores. He got rejected from programs with extremely high criteria to begin with. It's more emblematic of Americans not understanding just how competitive the landscape has become than a travesty of justice.
you're just arguing that there's no such thing as exceptional for those institutions.

1590 / 4.42 is exceptional by any measure. it's going to be at the high range of kids accepted across the 16 schools he got rejected from. unquestionably. most of whom didn't found a startup.

1580 is 75th percentile for harvard. average is 1520. average gpa is 4.18.

again, he's elite. to get rejected 16 of 18 with his credential is a statistical anomaly.

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Stanley Zhong, 18, is a 2023 graduate of Gunn High School in Palo Alto.

Despite earning 3.97 unweighted and 4.42 weighted GPA, scoring 1590 out of 1600 on the SAT's and founding his own e-signing startup RabbitSign in sophomore year, he was rejected by 16 out of the 18 colleges he applied to.

But shortly after the wave of rejections, he was offered a full-time software engineering role by Google, one of the world's top tech companies.

https://abc7news.com/stanley-zhong-college-rejected-teen-full-time-job-google-admissions/13890332/

This is what racism looks like, and it's the left which is cheer leading it on. We all know who the college made room for instead. Any Asian-American who supports today's democrat party is a self hating clown.

It's ok to be racist against an Asian. Just not to a black person....

you're just arguing that there's no such thing as exceptional for those institutions.

1590 / 4.42 is exceptional by any measure. it's going to be at the high range of kids accepted across the 16 schools he got rejected from. unquestionably. most of whom didn't found a startup.

1580 is 75th percentile for harvard. average is 1520. average gpa is 4.18.

again, he's elite. to get rejected 16 of 18 with his credential is a statistical anomaly.
No, I'm not arguing that there's no such as exceptional for those institutions. I'm saying that exceptional for those programs within those institutions is a much higher standard than an elite SAT score and near 4.0 GPA.

And you're making that same mistake with the Harvard numbers. Pull out the Comp Sci program's numbers, not the general student population. The STEM programs in those institutions have higher average scores than the gen pop.

If you have the time, go read the judicial opinion from the Harvard affirmative action case where they lay out how they actually determine who is and isn't "elite" academically (the circuit court opinion is particularly well detailed). "Elite" test scores and grades are the minimum. It's the floor, people in this thread are treating it like it's the ceiling.

I'm going to give you a parallel to help here. Imagine a man who is 6'2". We would all agree that he is tall. That's 90th+ percentile in height. Now, send him to the NBA. The average height in the NBA is 6'7". So, our idea of a tall man is actually not that tall in the context of professional basketball. But wait...if a guy is 6'10" and a very good basketball player then we should expect some NBA team to draft him, right? He has elite height and elite basketball skills. Except in the NBA, lots of 6'10" players never get drafted...even though they're starting players for D1 college programs. Why not? Because the standards for elite at those places is much higher than the standard in the general population and there's a limited number of draft opportunities being competed for.

In college admissions, there are a limited number of admissions seats. For programs like Comp Sci, there are even fewer seats than the general admissions pool. So, to be elite for for those programs means something far more stringent than what it would mean for a general admissions student at a mid level university. You cannot compare his numbers to the college applicant pool. You can only compare his numbers to the Comp. Sci. at elite institutions applicant pool. Do you get what I'm saying on this last piece?

No, I'm not arguing that there's no such as exceptional for those institutions. I'm saying that exceptional for those programs within those institutions is a much higher standard than an elite SAT score and near 4.0 GPA.

And you're making that same mistake with the Harvard numbers. Pull out the Comp Sci program's numbers, not the general student population. The STEM programs in those institutions have higher average scores than the gen pop.

If you have the time, go read the judicial opinion from the Harvard affirmative action case where they lay out how they actually determine who is and isn't "elite" academically (the circuit court opinion is particularly well detailed). "Elite" test scores and grades are the minimum. It's the floor, people in this thread are treating it like it's the ceiling.

I'm going to give you a parallel to help here. Imagine a man who is 6'2". We would all agree that he is tall. That's 90th+ percentile in height. Now, send him to the NBA. The average height in the NBA is 6'7". So, our idea of a tall man is actually not that tall in the context of professional basketball. But wait...if a guy is 6'10" and a very good basketball player then we should expect some NBA team to draft him, right? He has elite height and elite basketball skills. Except in the NBA, lots of 6'10" players never get drafted...even though they're starting players for D1 college programs. Why not? Because the standards for elite at those places is much higher than the standard in the general population and there's a limited number of draft opportunities being competed for.

In college admissions, there are a limited number of admissions seats. For programs like Comp Sci, there are even fewer seats than the general admissions pool. So, to be elite for for those programs means something far more stringent than what it would mean for a general admissions student at a mid level university. You cannot compare his numbers to the college applicant pool. You can only compare his numbers to the Comp. Sci. at elite institutions applicant pool. Do you get what I'm saying on this last piece?
you don't apply to harvard's stem program. you apply to harvard.

again, feels like you're just playing contrarian.

he's not just 6'10. he's 6'10 and averaged 20/10 in college.

again, 1590 and 4.42 is elite. founding a startup is also out of the ordinary. he's way above average FOR PEOPLE WHO GET ACCEPTED at harvard. not to mention the other 15 schools he was rejected from.

i'm not saying 1590 and 4.42 guarantees you'll get into harvard. but to get rejected by 16 of 18 is extraordinary for his qualifications.

note about 300 kids get a perfect sat score per year. harvard alone admits close to 2000 students per year.

you don't apply to harvard's stem program. you apply to harvard.

again, feels like you're just playing contrarian.

he's not just 6'10. he's 6'10 and averaged 20/10 in college.

again, 1590 and 4.42 is elite. founding a startup is also out of the ordinary. he's way above average FOR PEOPLE WHO GET ACCEPTED at harvard. not to mention the other 15 schools he was rejected from.

i'm not saying 1590 and 4.42 guarantees you'll get into harvard. but to get rejected by 16 of 18 is extraordinary for his qualifications.

note about 300 kids get a perfect sat score per year. harvard alone admits close to 2000 students per year.
It is institution by institution. Many institutions make you apply to a program and many students declare their interested major at the time of application.

I'm not playing the contrarian, I'm telling you how the admissions system works. And your rejection of that information is because your definition of elite doesn't account for all of the variables that actually matter in the modern era. You don't realize how competitive the admissions market is. Nor do you realize how many brilliant kids are starting their own companies.

This isn't 30 years ago when stories like Bill Gates were unique. Nowadays, every aspiring elite college applicant is trying to start a business of some sort to bolster their applications. Every bright kid is hyper-prepping for the SATs, ACT, etc.

but to get rejected by 16 of 18 is extraordinary for his qualifications.

I think we can all agree on this statement, especially if admissions were based solely on GPA and test scores. Regardless of what actually constitutes "exceptional", for him to get rejected by 16/18 with his academic qualifications is surprising, even if there is some level of affirmative action taking place at a few of the schools.

However, people don't realize that a lot more goes into applications these days. Essays, personal statements, reference letters, and even interviews. Even if you have "exceptional" scores and GPA, there are still many ways in which you can mess up when applying to a top school.

To have a complete picture of the situation, one needs all of this information. Especially before concluding he was the victim of racism that was systematic across all of the universities listed, which has already been debunked.

It is institution by institution. Many institutions make you apply to a program and many students declare their interested major at the time of application.

I'm not playing the contrarian, I'm telling you how the admissions system works. And your rejection of that information is because your definition of elite doesn't account for all of the variables that actually matter in the modern era. You don't realize how competitive the admissions market is. Nor do you realize how many brilliant kids are starting their own companies.

This isn't 30 years ago when stories like Bill Gates were unique. Nowadays, every aspiring elite college applicant is trying to start a business of some sort to bolster their applications. Every bright kid is hyper-prepping for the SATs, ACT, etc.
i have a sophomore in college and a senior in hs. both top 1% act/sat and gpa. i know how it works.

i have a sophomore in college and a senior in hs. both top 1% act/sat and gpa. i know how it works.
If that's the case then you realize just how many kids are in that cohort and how many of them are starting small businesses or charities or other ventures for their college applications. I have a niece who is a junior and in that same test score and gpa cohort.

Serious question: Did you ever get a chance to read the Circuit Court opinion that laid out the admissions process at places like Harvard? It would illustrate just how much more goes into this than you're accounting for. I sent it to my brother precisely so that they wouldn't underestimate how competitive the landscape has become.

Test scores and gpa's are the minimum if you're looking at these schools and these programs. The difference between a 1550 and 1590 or a 1600 isn't that important to them.

If that's the case then you realize just how many kids are in that cohort and how many of them are starting small businesses or charities or other ventures for their college applications. I have a niece who is a junior and in that same test score and gpa cohort.

Serious question: Did you ever get a chance to read the Circuit Court opinion that laid out the admissions process at places like Harvard? It would illustrate just how much more goes into this than you're accounting for. I sent it to my brother precisely so that they wouldn't underestimate how competitive the landscape has become.

Test scores and gpa's are the minimum if you're looking at these schools and these programs. The difference between a 1550 and 1590 or a 1600 isn't that had not only worse ACT and SAT scores.

I never made any conclusions, Galileo. I never said he "likely" did anything. Indeed, there's more to an application than just test scores and GPA. It would be very helpful to have all information before making conclusions.

That's what I thought though. No answer to an actual question. Stick to what you do best.

childish-nose.gif

Can you pump the breaks on this sharpness? You could make the same points without being an ass. I mean anyone could just look at your post count and come to a similar ass conclusions like you have to be chronically unemployed to post as much as you have over the last 5 years.

% of Asian Americans who say affirmative action is a good thing

Good thing - 53%
Bad thing - 19%
Don't know - 27%

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-et...s-hold-mixed-views-around-affirmative-action/
Well yea if you ask it like that they will say yes because it benefits them, if you ask them if they support affirmative action but only when it applies to certain minorities that are deemed underprivileged which will not include Asians, then they will give a different answer

Can you pump the breaks on this sharpness? You could make the same points without being an ass. I mean anyone could just look at your post count and come to a similar ass conclusions like you have to be chronically unemployed to post as much as you have over the last 5 years.

<36>

Hey Mr. "Engineer", they're called "brakes."

Why don't you take another crack at high school and get back to me. Fucking dumbass.

Back