Arnold Schwarzenegger's Zombie Drama MAGGIE

Saw this last night at the parents'. Boring.

Arnold's character was pretty strong. There were some pretty intense scenes with his character.

- The scene where he had to put down the little girl was sad.

- And when his daughter, all zombied out was smelling him while he pretended to sleep, shit was intense.

Movie really makes you think about what you would do in that situation.

I gave it a 9/10. All for the last 20 minutes or so. Way better than expected. To me, this movie was a perfect example of a slow-buildup type movie that delivers in the ending. It all of a sudden turned into an intense horror that gave me all sorts of heebie jeebies from this point on:

when the step-mom is checking her eyes and Maggie says "do you smell food?" It ratcheted up a notch when she goes to the kitchen and there's nothing cooking. That scene was intense. So perfect. Other than you eventually here Maggie cough or something from upstairs. Still such a good scene but they could have dragged that out a bit longer with just that agonizing, terrible silence. I thought the mum was going to get attacked there tbh.

The fox-killing scene was also pretty good too (or rather, when Maggie is walking back covered in blood). I thought the scene was well-executed where the step-mom was arguing with Arnie that Quarantine needed to be called.

Then, the scene where Arnie is laying in bed asleep and he opens his eyes to a glimpse of Maggie in the hall. That was probably the pinnacle.

The ending was good too, unexpected. I'm just not sure that this final scene could have been played out a tiny bit scarier. Like her coming down the stairs was wild, and then sniffing him . . . But I don't know. It might have been more effective if she didn't linger so close to Arnie. Maybe if she was a few feet back and then started to act agitated and grunt maybe. Arnie then awakes and she runs to the rooftop where she ends it. Something like that. Still amazing ending though.

That was actually one of the better horror endings I've seen in a long while and it made the whole movie rank highly.

Really depressing movie not because it was a bad movie but because the premise of the film was depressing. That atmosphere of gloom the movie gave was well done. Thunder but no rain, no vibrant colors, just a world of depression. I gave it 8/10.

Back