Media Arnold Allen: I deserved to win, no ill will towards Evloev, but "would have finished" it unless Goddard

Lol trying to knee someone in the head on the ground how Khabib and Islam grapple?? Seems like a brilliant way to lose your position.

Stop posting, you're too dumb for this.

lol trying to knee someone in the head on the ground if you got no ground-game anyway?? Seems like a brilliant way to lose your position.

the day this grounded knee bullshit goes away is the day MMA gets way better. Wreslters already have an overwhelming advantage with how much the rules favor them and how much the judges seemingly favor grappling over striking. This one hand down bullshit is something that's not needed at all.

i agree MMA will get way better, but i do not agree that knees to grounded opponents will somehow even the playing field for strikers vs grapplers or that this is a win for strikers. all it is, is taking away a "safe" position by exploiting the rules to stall the fight and turning it into a death trap to sit in for any extended length of time. this doesn't hinder or give an advantage to ANY style. strikers have done the exact same thing to stop from getting struck, and wrestlers will now be able to hold front headlocks, snap opponents down and knee the fuck out of them ala Mark Coleman vs Allan Goes and they'll be able to knee the shit out of guys from north/south and side mount ala Heath Herring vs Mark Kerr.

i think the biggest thing here for strikers is that they'll be able to make wrestlers pay for allowing them to get up, if they cause a scramble and they get up before the wrestler does it's practically a free knee, the flipside of this is that the wrestlers can feint/bail on a takedown when the striker goes to sprawl, and now the wrestler gets the same free shot on the striker who is sprawling.

Yup, Arnold got robbed twice in that fight. First by Goddard and 2nd by the judges. Arnold made Evloev look a class below him.

Arnold Allen is on the first two-fight losing streak of his career after starting 10-0 in the UFC and being talked about as a dangerous contender at FW. Now he's decided to share his thoughts on the most recent loss:

“Everyone’s saying that I won round one and round three. I agree, that’s what I felt too. I felt after round one: ‘Yup, won that one.’ Round two, I fucked that one up. And round three, that was mine!
Very, very, very, very, very frustrating. Not the way I wanted to start things off... I just feel like I deserved to win that. I don’t want to be bitching and moaning or anything like that. I have no ill will against
his team or the opponent...Yeah, I felt like I got one and three just on the base that everyone else said it, and that’s what I felt immediately after.”

“With about three minutes left in the round, I fired off some knees, and in the moment I believe they were legal. I asked the rules backstage, and there was nothing to clarify. Mark Goddard is getting
a lot of flack for his call, but when he came in and said he was reffing, me, my coach, and my manager we were very happy. And I still think he’s one of the best refs out there, but I believe he made a
mistake, and you know... it’s a tough one.”

“I do feel I was on to a sequence where I was about to set up a finish. My opponent was really hurt. The way he sat down, the way he was reacting from the knees. His hand was off even with the rule.
And I lifted him up - knee, I lifted him up - knee, I lifted him up - knee. Even with that hand down, hand up rule, they were all legal. Yeah, I do believe I would have found a finish from there.”

Grounded knees baby!!

Arnold Allen comes from the type of town that Americans imagine all of England looks like...

ipswich-town.jpg

It's staggering to me, and anyone who's been there that such a good fighter has managed to emerge from Ipswich.

Dude is an example of following your dreams no matter the circumstance, and I hope he bounces back strong.

Thought it was pretty clear Allen won, even on sherdog, where holding someone’s back and doing nothing is valued highly, I saw most people in the play by play thread giving the first round to Allen. Those official strike numbers are so inaccurate it’s insane, it’s something I noticed a long time ago so I don’t even use them anymore when arguing a bad decision. Even if evloev did outstrike allen in the first it must have been grazing shots or something cause it seemed so clear that Allen was landing cleaner and harder, but 3 or 4 one second takedowns is clearly more impactful

the day this grounded knee bullshit goes away is the day MMA gets way better. Wreslters already have an overwhelming advantage with how much the rules favor them and how much the judges seemingly favor grappling over striking. This one hand down bullshit is something that's not needed at all.

I scored it 29-28 Allen, but the knees were absolutely illegal as much as I dislike that particular rule. Furthermore, Round 1 was so close and Arnold didn't really put a stamp on it as much as I like the guy. "Optics" shouldn't play a big role in judging fights in theory, but we know that they do and when you finish a round being placed into an ostensibly defensive/reactive state for a lengthy period of time the judges often respond to that. Also worth noting that the Ontario rules are a bit different in how they award things like effective striking/grappling, aggression, cage control, and even defense.

I still think Allen edged it, but yeah. It wasn't a robbery and having such low output early while getting put on the back foot late in wrestling exchanges didn't do him any favors I'm sure.

It'a not "weird" at all, really. Several media outlets and the slight majority of fans who have submitted scorecards on MMADecisions apparently felt that he did. It comes down to how you score a single, competitive round with low output from both guys.

There are legitimate arguments in either direction, especially under the Ontario ruleset.

That’s why I hate this rule so much - some of you guys want the refs to tell fighters during a fight that a fighter is down when in a millisecond by lifting his knee and/or hand he is no longer down.

It’s an obtuse grey area that can’t be properly regulated; the solution isn’t “have refs make arbitrary statements that might not even be true and can change so quickly no one can notice and react to give instructions in time” it’s to make a downed opponent clearly definable (ie back and/or butt on the mat).

Then fighters don’t have to guess/feel/wait for instructions, they can just fight with a clear understanding of their opponents position.

I just want fighters to not foul each other, my guy. A fighter who knows his opponent is down can now make him not downed by his actions, like some people were arguing Allen was trying to do.

Frankly speaking, Allen should already know that a position like that is one where the opponent can be down, and if Allen can't figure it out, then he shouldn't knee the guy. As someone already said, they didn't think it was the intention. Why? Because he was throwing a blind strike. The call from Goddard would just be a courtesy, but the foul is still Allen's fault

Competitive fight.
Movsar went for a single, Allen headlocked one arm, got his leg free, and started driving Movsar across the ring while kneeing his head.
At that point, Allen had it in the bag.

Goddard watched the whole thing, then intervened after the 4th knee.

While it was happening, Movsar had three choices:
1 - Use his arms and hands to protect against knees to the head while mixing in grappling techniques to attempt to free himself from the headlock.
2 - Reach a hand down to the mat hoping to convince Allen and Goddard that he was "grounded" and therefore could not be kneed to the head.
3 - Drop to his knees and actually BE grounded.

As we all know, Movsar chose #2.

@GoWokeGoBroke : "Maybe he shoulda knocked him out."
Allen managed to achieve an advantageous position against a tough opponent, and was well on his way to knocking the guy out, but the ref intervened, saved Movsar, gave Movsar a recovery period, and took away the advantageous position that Allen had worked to achieve.

If a ref does that to you during a competitive fight, it's going to be very difficult for you to win that fight.

Movsar did not want to be "actually grounded." If he did, he would have dropped to his knees.

Movsar DID want to be "fake grounded" so that he could be fake-protected against knee strikes.

That decision didn't work out as well as Movsar hoped.
Allen knee-fucked his head.
Allen did not get DQ'd.
Allen did not receive a point deduction.

Karen Bandido is waving paper and declaring the knee strikes illegal.

Fighters the world over are chuckling.
Movsar is a bad ass. Allen is a bad ass. Goddard is an MMA fighter.
They all know what happened.
We all know what happened.
Movsar did not ground himself. Instead, he tried the Karen way out and Allen smeshed him for it.

Movsar will train and fight. He will be in the company of other bad asses. Occasionally, they will give him a hard time about it.

At the end of the day, all you can do in those situations is laugh and admit you pussed out and it didn't go like you hoped it would.

How to fix Karen's rule problem?
Make it clear in some global unified rules somewhere:
"Bitch, if you wanna be grounded, drop down on your fucking knees. Otherwise, take what you get."

This rule is a mess and needs to be adressed.
Sick of double standards ....
Yan dominated the Aljo fight, but got a title taken away from him by DQ because of same half legal knees after Fakemaster put a big act...after 1 knee!
At the same time Allen threw same 4 illegal knees to Movsar's head and didn't even get a point taken away from him...

Looks like a freakin bias against Russian fighters.

NOT SO GODDARD STRIKES AGAIN LMAO

tbf i thought this was an awesome match from both men but Allen had the guy dead to rights w them knees. Stupid ass rule.

What a sore loser.

If he wanted to win he should’ve actually walked forward and pressured instead of being on the defensive and reacting to Evloevs offense most fight.

Dude got chased for two rounds, then gets a couple of minutes of offense late in the fight and he feels entitled to a win?

Lol plain and simple Allen choked again, he can’t win the big fight.

It's the dumbest rule in the sport but it's still a rule and he broke it.

Evloev won.

Reactions: HHJ
I'm kinda still upset they fed him to Holloway. He had become #4 by beating #5 Kattar on a 12 fight win streak (10-0 in the UFC), and that's right when Volk decided he was moving up to be a new champ's first defense? But Yair and Emmett get the interim title shot? What the fuck.
Yeah... And then Volkanovski got angry Max keeps knocking down his contenders lol.

I love Alex but he has some work to do at FW at the moment.

What a sore loser.

If he wanted to win he should’ve actually walked forward and pressured instead of being on the defensive and reacting to Evloevs offense most fight.

Dude got chased for two rounds, then gets a couple of minutes of offense late in the fight and he feels entitled to a win?

Lol plain and simple Allen choked again, he can’t win the big fight.
Walking forward is the least important scoring criteria

seems like lots of fighters lately are unaware of rules of the sport they are participating in
(grounded-knee rule needs to go for sure)

The knees connecting were what lifted Evloev

You must be rock hard about Evloevs string of decision wins
Evloev doesn't fight like those guys.

They are able to lay on guys and rack up top control because they can actually keep people down.

When Evloev gets a "takedown" his opponents are always able to spring right back up.

I don't think Allen won the first, but he does have a right to be upset about them stopping the action for the knees.
There was Definitely potential for him to really hurt or finish Evloev there. Would love to have seen that one be a 5 rounder as well.

That’s why I hate this rule so much - some of you guys want the refs to tell fighters during a fight that a fighter is down when in a millisecond by lifting his knee and/or hand he is no longer down.

It’s an obtuse grey area that can’t be properly regulated; the solution isn’t “have refs make arbitrary statements that might not even be true and can change so quickly no one can notice and react to give instructions in time” it’s to make a downed opponent clearly definable (ie back and/or butt on the mat).

Then fighters don’t have to guess/feel/wait for instructions, they can just fight with a clear understanding of their opponents position.
Being down in mma should be the same as nfl... knee thigh butt back, not a hand

Back