Armchair Jiujitsu: Carwin's Shoulder Choke D?

Why not? Carwin is the same size.

i think it has more to do with Brock's wrestling ability than a size thing. Brock has really good hips and would be able to manipulate pressure and shift weight to where he would be near impossible to sweep from that arm triangle position. i've hit it on big guys (i'm 6'4" 290, hit it on a guy i had about 10 lbs on or so) but they weren't good enough at controlling their weight or pressure to stop it.

i think it has more to do with Brock's wrestling ability than a size thing. Brock has really good hips and would be able to manipulate pressure and shift weight to where he would be near impossible to sweep from that arm triangle position. i've hit it on big guys (i'm 6'4" 290, hit it on a guy i had about 10 lbs on or so) but they weren't good enough at controlling their weight or pressure to stop it.

I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking about rolling yourself out of the submission, not sweeping the guy. It's a leg grab into a backwards shoulder roll on the shoulder that's not locked up. It's used to break the grip, but you don't sweep the guy.

I think we're talking about different things.

oh, i c what you mean, we are talking about different things, i was referring to the counter/sweep thing that Title Fight posted on the first/second page where the chok-er got rolled by the chok-ee and ended up on bottom.

I'm talking about rolling yourself out of the submission, not sweeping the guy. It's a leg grab into a backwards shoulder roll on the shoulder that's not locked up. It's used to break the grip, but you don't sweep the guy

that's what i usually try for, but i'm not sure how effective that would have been in this situation.

for 1, i'm not sure if Carwin would have the flexibility to bring his leg up that high go be able to grab it with Brock being so huge and in the way. and 2, even if Carwin could grab it, i think Brock could use his wrestling base/hulk smash strength to keep him on his back by turning the corner, which combined with his choke and Carwin rolling his body weight over himself, would be bad things for Shane.

I almost pissed myself when I read this!

Amal Easton is a Renzo Gracie black belt but he's running the closest thing to a belt factory I've ever seen in BJJ in Colorado. All promotions (even black belt) are based solely on class attendance and paying for your belt tests.

Surprised no one has commented on this post.

I mean this guy is obviously a student at a rival school or something, and made this troll account just to talk shit, but ive never heard of Easton as a belt factory.

I almost pissed myself when I read this!

Amal Easton is a Renzo Gracie black belt but he's running the closest thing to a belt factory I've ever seen in BJJ in Colorado. All promotions (even black belt) are based solely on class attendance and paying for your belt tests.

You are a total troll! Where do you train?

I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking about rolling yourself out of the submission, not sweeping the guy. It's a leg grab into a backwards shoulder roll on the shoulder that's not locked up. It's used to break the grip, but you don't sweep the guy.

Haven't heard of the "roll" part; sounds effective. Let me make sure I have this right. So dude has cross body on me and shoulder chokes my head and left arm. I reach down and hug one of my legs with both arms, then back roll over my right (non-choke) shoulder?

Haven't heard of the "roll" part; sounds effective. Let me make sure I have this right. So dude has cross body on me and shoulder chokes my head and left arm. I reach down and hug one of my legs with both arms, then back roll over my right (non-choke) shoulder?

Yeah, more or less. Obviously it's tough to explain the details over the Internet, but that's the general idea. you have to walk your bode out to create some space first.

And? GO ON...
Oh, we just did stuff like preventing it by pushing away with your forearm and shrimping, if it isn't tight yet grabbing the arm and rolling over and grabbing your own leg and pulling down to create breathing space.

You are a total troll! Where do you train?

Actually I train at an Easton school until my contract is up in a few months. Here is what I'm talking about. I've been training there for 3 years - I'm a 4 stripe blue belt. I've never even entered a tournament at the school let alone won anything.

It's well known around Colorado that after befriending the owner of Mile High Karate Amal changed his business plan to emulate theirs. Mile High Karate is also a well known belt factory. If you ask Amal he will tell you plainly that if you train with him consistently for 6 years you will be a black belt. SIX YEARS??? Give me a break.

The owner of Mile High Karate is very profitable because he realized that people are motivated by belts and that he could expand faster and get more students. Amal saw the dollar signs and implemented the same structure. Don't get me wrong, there are some tough guys there, but they figure they'll attract more people and they'll have some below average students but also be more likely to attract students with great potential. But your average 4 stripe blue belt/new purple belt just doesn't meet the standards of other schools.

Another example of how they are a belt factory is their kids program. They completely disregard IBJJF guidelines and have instituted a belt system based on the Karate kids belt system. Go to the EastonBJJ.com website. they have a rotating picture banner. The very first picture is of Finney McMahon teaching a kids class where a kid has a orange and white belt. This belt doesn't exist in BJJ. Another picture here: https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/asp/home.asp?studioid=5586

A third example is the fact that Duane Ludwig has a black belt in BJJ under Easton simply based on time served. (Easton BJJ Instructors)

Everything that I've said is easily verified.

I have trained with a few students of Amal Easton's and they were all very good. You are the first person that has said anything bad about him.

Also wether he runs a belt factory or not is irrelvent to the conversation. Does he know his BJJ? Evidentally yes because Renzo promoted him to Black Belt and he has some students who seem to be doing very well. Shane is a Pro fighter and what belt he has has less imortance than the knowledge coming from his coach.

Back