Armchair Jiujitsu: Carwin's Shoulder Choke D?

Did anyone else feel Carwin practically gave that arm triangle up?

I'm not suggesting a fix, but... it looks like he voluntarily pushed his arm though so his shoulder would be between brocks head and his own.

I used to do that when I just started grappling. I learned how bad an idea it is doing that and stopped quickly, long before my blue belt.
i think carwin was simply gassed and not thinking straight - it probably felt more comfortable to have lesnar's head under his armpit rather than even with his own, and he just forgot that he was giving up a choke in doing so.

Or he could of tried bridging towards Brock, and attempting to get his shoulder to the floor eliminating the choke. Brock had that shit on tight though, good submission.

I think Shane was relieved to lose relatively painlessly as he was completely gassed and had no answers for anything at that point. If you rewatch the second round he really didn't do ANYTHING to help his cause. He fought very well for four minutes but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. These things happen in sports; it's why the matches/games are played for real and not on paper.

Lets not get to far away from the fact that Lesnar used pretty damn good technique to get that sub. He passed to mount, with the head already in position, took the time in mount to "sinch" it up and then dismounted, applied, dropped his hips and when he couldn't get the finish, instead of staying there and muscling it he walked his hips out toward Carwin's head.

Not bad imo.

still doesn't make up totally for his weak half guard, but with lesnar you know he will be working the bottom game & his boxing a ton now.

Nothing but props for Lesnar.

Survived a vicious onslaught in the first.

Came back, and dominated the second, and applied a textbook Armtriangle.

Awesome job.

Armchair Jiu-Jitsu: Shoulda never let Brock get the mount or staying flat on his back. Carwin has some ground work to learn.

Now I wanna see Brock go for Kimuras from side-control, feels like he could be very effective with them

Don't say what he should have done he has amal easton in his corner he knows it just happend to fast.

I almost pissed myself when I read this!

Amal Easton is a Renzo Gracie black belt but he's running the closest thing to a belt factory I've ever seen in BJJ in Colorado. All promotions (even black belt) are based solely on class attendance and paying for your belt tests.

Now I wanna see Brock go for Kimuras from side-control, feels like he could be very effective with them

Agreed--who could possibly stop a Brock Lesnar kimura?! Once he got it locked on it would be a done deal.

I know they always say this.. but carwin had a solid 30 seconds where he could have easily moved his arm and gotten an underhook (like a proper hafguard.) Instead, he just chilled there like a whitebelt and brock capitalized really well.

Props to Brock, but wow that was sad Carwin

Tonight all we did was work arm triangle defense because of the fight.

Carwin was too gassed out and hyper ventilating to do anything at that point. Has nothing to do with his sub d

Agreed--who could possibly stop a Brock Lesnar kimura?! Once he got it locked on it would be a done deal.

he could start hanging arms on his wall to go with his deer/elk/bear heads.

Lesner, surprisingly did have the best sub setup and finish of the night. That said, Carwin had it stopped till Lesner started to let go. You can see it on the tape right before tap. Lesner releases the pressure, Carwin feels it and drops the defense, then Lesner snatches it back in for the tap.

The fat that they were both gassed at the end of round one, made everything in the second kinda sad. The lesson here is do not burn your self out punching a brick wall, in the first round.

Carwin was too tired to even maintain half guard by that point so I think any discussion on what technical mistakes he may or may not have made would be irrelevant

^^^
Seriously. And they are heavyweights, which means we have to show a lot more leniency towards their submission prowess because HW's big muscles drain their heads of blood and makes them mildly retarded as they fight, so the standards are lower. I joke, but I'm kind of serious. Among HW's you have to give them a little slack, they are just a little bigger and dumber and stronger and their tech doesn't have to be picture perfect in that playing field.

uh... no

There's also a way to escape it by bridging and rolling your opponent over you, but that shit would not work on Brock Lesnar.

Why not? Carwin is the same size.

I was always taught that getting on the phone is a stalling tactic (and leaves you open for a shoulder lock) and the choke can still be finished from there. I was always taught to reach under the leg, rock back and forth to create space, and then roll out.

Back