• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are you glad women are in the UFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iehny4yIi5IRi.gif

Women putting on entertaining fights has never been the question.

The main problem is the talent.
1) If you are going to pay for a ppv, you want not only entertainment, but elite performers. Amateur fights can be entertaining too. I don't buy them on ppv.

2) As far as the UFC goes, I want it to be an elite organization for the very best. Women simply aren't on par with the men. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want to watch them fight, but when I see a UFC even I want the very best.

I just noticed that i put 'NO' in this poll.

Fucking ashamed of myself.

Yes, because they're entertaining, and only going to get better.

And for anyone using the skill reasoning, all I can say is the UFC HW division before Cain Velasquez was champ (a bunch of one hit wonders early on, old man Randy, and Folding Chair Lesnar), and the UFC MW division before Rich Franklin was champ were absolute joke divisions with minimal talent.

Women putting on entertaining fights has never been the question.

The main problem is the talent.
1) If you are going to pay for a ppv, you want not only entertainment, but elite performers. Amateur fights can be entertaining too. I don't buy them on ppv.

2) As far as the UFC goes, I want it to be an elite organization for the very best. Women simply aren't on par with the men. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want to watch them fight, but when I see a UFC even I want the very best.

Exactly my point! A lot of people here are assuming way too much based on our opinion. I don't dislike women, I don't dislike them fighting, but I don't want to see amateur level fights in the ufc. Rousey has beaten everyone with a single move for god sake.

Looking at the numbers you would have assumed this poll was from 70 years ago.

Exactly my point! A lot of people here are assuming way too much based on our opinion. I don't dislike women, I don't dislike them fighting, but I don't want to see amateur level fights in the ufc. Rousey has beaten everyone with a single move for god sake.
You do realize Dan Hardy, Cody McKenzie, and Leonard Garcia are still in the UFC, right=??? :wink:

As for the Rousey thing, allow me to quote Bruce Lee: “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

No, what's good about diluting an event(usually main card) with low level (relative to men in the UFC) fights? That's like having an amateur division. I think that WMMA is still too behind in terms of skill. However, there are probably not gonna be too many WMMA fights, since there will(hopefully) only 1 division, so it's not a big deal.

Yes, because they're entertaining, and only going to get better.

And for anyone using the skill reasoning, all I can say is the UFC HW division before Cain Velasquez was champ, and the UFC MW division before Rich Franklin was champ were absolute joke divisions.

Look at it this way, Ronda has beaten all of her opponents with an armbar. Do you think that would be possible in any division for men, even 10 years ago? Their talent level and competition is sub par for a professional league, there simply aren't enough of them, and the top female athlete is a one trick pony.

women are gtetting the more mainstream media attention the ufc want good or bad they dont care they just want it out there

What is the average age of folks on Sherdog.. 12?

Look at it this way, Ronda has beaten all of her opponents with an armbar. Do you think that would be possible in any division for men, even 10 years ago? Their talent level and competition is sub par for a professional league, there simply aren't enough of them, and the top female athlete is a one trick pony.
Re-read my Bruce Lee quote. When you're so good at something, it is hard to stop, especially when you got other skills. Also...
-Matt Hughes won with nearly entirely his wrestling skills (granted, his wrestling skills were legendary).
-Jens Pulver won with nearly entirely his stand up skills.
-The LW division didn't exist 10 years ago in the UFC (now, it's by far the UFC's deepest division IMO).
-GSP still mostly wins with nearly entirely his wrestling skills and his great jabs (which doesn't make him any less great).

Things change over time. The women's BW division may not be the most talented field, but it will improve with time. In 10 years, it will easily be much better, much deeper, and much more talented.

But as it is right now, it's pretty good considering WMMA has only been around a handful of years. WMMA certainly has evolved faster than MMMA (that's funny to say, lol). After all, Tank isn't challenging for the title, and the most hyped and known female fighter isn't some freak show like everything that was going on with Kimbo not too long ago.

Lastly, in Ronda's defense, technically she's a two trick pony: and those two tricks are great judo takedowns and that armbar.

The thing is there aren't enough elite athletes in WMMA yet other than Rousey , give it a few years and it will be really interesting.

I'm not glad but I'd enjoy it a lot more if Zingano was the champion. I just can't stand Rousey.

The thing is there aren't enough elite athletes in WMMA yet other than Rousey , give it a few years and it will be really interesting.
I remember lurking forums and people said the same thing in defense of the LW division a few years ago. Up until the last few months, people have had to defend every weight class up to the featherweights (seriously? do people not watch Jose Aldo?).

Man oh man (or should I say "Woman oh woman") how the times have changed. But hey, MMA got better, and the LW's got better, so man, when the female mixed martial artists get better, MMA will be that much better. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty excited to see me not have to defend these women, because they will have all the talent in the world. :cool:

The 700 guys who claims they are against women in the UFC actually watched every move in Rousey vs. Carmouche as well as Tate vs. Zingano.

The 400 guys who claims they don't care will make an effort to tune in to watch the women on the next edition of TUF.

Only a few will actually admit now that they were wrong, but that's okay, their infamous names will be forever imprinted on this historic poll when we look back in a few years :)

Last edited:
No, what's good about diluting an event(usually main card) with low level (relative to men in the UFC) fights? That's like having an amateur division. I think that WMMA is still too behind in terms of skill. However, there are probably not gonna be too many WMMA fights, since there will(hopefully) only 1 division, so it's not a big deal.

Please come back when Dana takes notice of the Atomweights and the Strawweights.

Here's a clue: Karate Hottie.

I remember lurking forums and people said the same thing in defense of the LW division a few years ago. Up until the last few months, people have had to defend every weight class up to the featherweights (seriously? do people not watch Jose Aldo?).

Man oh man (or should I say "Woman oh woman") how the times have changed. But hey, MMA got better, and the LW's got better, so man, when the female mixed martial artists get better, MMA will be that much better. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty excited to see me not have to defend these women, because they will have all the talent in the world. :cool:

It will be better once the better women athletes compete, women tend to have more flexibility and leg dexterity so grappling and striking will be interesting , think about it if a young woman who is athletic enough to be an elite gymnast instead chooses to be a mixed martial artist that type of athleticism could make it very interesting to see.

I just noticed that i put 'NO' in this poll.

Fucking ashamed of myself.

No worries, in a few years when it went mainstream, you can claims Carrano vs. Cyborg made you a fan of WMMA, instead of Rousey vs. Carmouche or Tate vs. Zingano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back