Are most beard products a scam?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Winter is starting so for the second year in a row I'm growing the hair and beard out to keep warm.

I've yet to delve into beard specific products beside some cheap balm because I dont trust I actually need it. I'll use soap or shampoo and sometimes face wash for under the skin to avoid ingrown hairs and so far its worked.

I've been researching this for a while and cant find any evidence that the whole "you need beard specific wash" isnt all just marketing ploy made by beard companies to trick you into thinking you need it.

In fact I have yet to find any information on what dudes used to clean their beards prior to the last 10 or 15 years when beard products became popular. From what I'm guessing everyone just used soap or shampoo to clean their beards before that.

Thoughts? Old heads chime in

Last edited:
Probably yes. Could be that even shampoo is a "marketing ploy by (hair) companies to tricky you into thinking you need it"

Yeah I've heard the same thing about shampoo and know people who just use soap.

Good thing for you we have the kings of beards here.

@StonedLemur what say you?
@THE Red Beard might as well chime in as well, since his name is fitting for the thread

Thanks for the professional courtesy, and I want it noted on the official record that @RedBeard_ was not asked. I use typical shampoo and conditioner (Head and Shoulders is great) and then I finish it off with an argan oil to give me some luster.

Beard wash is unncessary IMO. Beard oil and balm I love so much I use them as hair products.

I think the question about what's important depends on what result you're looking for. If you have a long flowing beard that you want to keep meticulously neat, maybe invest in some products. If you have a close cut beard and good skin you might not need anything more than a bar of soap.

Only use this,
coconut oil,
usually used for damaged hair
but find it amazing for my beard.

palmers-vaporisateur-racines-solides-a-lhuile-de-coco-150-ml.png

Probably yes. Could be that even shampoo is a "marketing ploy by (hair) companies to tricky you into thinking you need it"
A few years back I first heard of this "no 'poo" trend (no shampoo...) and didn't think much of it, but then mostly out of laziness we truly haven't washed our kids hair in year. They are 7 and 4 years old, and other than the occasional wash because of something like sunscreen or pancake syrup, we don't wash their hair yet it feels as clean and soft as mine.

I've been tempted to try not using shampoo, but I heard the first few weeks you have gross, greasy hair while it adjusts to no 'poo. It might be best to shave it all off at first to start fresh.

random note: I tried this solid shampoo bar, like a bar of soap, and was surprised it lathers and works just as well as liquid shampoo

A few years back I first heard of this "no 'poo" trend (no shampoo...) and didn't think much of it, but then mostly out of laziness we truly haven't washed our kids hair in year. They are 7 and 4 years old, and other than the occasional wash because of something like sunscreen or pancake syrup, we don't wash their hair yet it feels as clean and soft as mine.

I've been tempted to try not using shampoo, but I heard the first few weeks you have gross, greasy hair while it adjusts to no 'poo. It might be best to shave it all off at first to start fresh.

random note: I tried this solid shampoo bar, like a bar of soap, and was surprised it lathers and works just as well as liquid shampoo

I never trusted the no shampoo trend because I cant think of any way just water could wash out any dirt or grime.

When I lived in a place with winter I did the occasional shampoo and conditioner. With whatever the wife bought for herself maybe once every 10 days or so. But I'd always go the Honest Amish Beard Balm, after every shower. Great stuff. Leaves the beard nice and soft and prevents itchy skin.

I never trusted the no shampoo trend because I cant think of any way just water could wash out any dirt or grime.
yeah, I'm still curious to try it since you'd never know we don't wash our kids hair. but maybe something changes after puberty to where we need more than just warm water to clean our hair

Thanks for the professional courtesy, and I want it noted on the official record that @RedBeard_ was not asked. I use typical shampoo and conditioner (Head and Shoulders is great) and then I finish it off with an argan oil to give me some luster.

After I retired in May, I can finally grow mine out.

I use Head & Shoulders and then conditioner. Will use oil every few days as needed.

Not washing your beard is nasty and scratchy.

There are some basics to it, don't use an aggressive soap as it will strip the hair of natural oils. Really stick to mainly water and if any soap make sure it's gentle as fuck.

Don't use conditioner as you're adding product that you won't wash off if you're not using aggressive stuff for normal hair.

The primary purpose of oil is to moisturise the skin, because a beard acts as a wick. You can use a moisturizer rather than oil for the hair near the skin, oil for the main body of the beard.

Wash it properly once a week or so.

Back