Are most beard products a scam?

Good thing for you we have the kings of beards here.

@StonedLemur what say you?
@THE Red Beard might as well chime in as well, since his name is fitting for the thread

Yeah I have tried a few products and honestly I prefer regular shampoo and conditioner.

Beard oil (tea tree oil) isn't bad because I like the smell but it leaves your beard oily...so you're better off just opening it once in awhile and smelling it lol.

Beard/moustache wax is only good if you're going to braid or twist...which I don't do...hardly ever.

So I surmise....they are in fact a fucking ripoff sir ;)

Beard wash is a scam IMO.

Beard balm/oil....depends on your skin and beard I think. When my beard got/gets longer I did use a little oil and balm for 2 reasons.

1. The skin under my beard would get dry, itchy, and a bit flakey - but I have a tendency to dry scalp as well
2. The balm can help some of the frizzy/wild hairs to be a bit more tame and shape in with the rest of your beard - Just like using a little wax/pomade/fiber/etc. for your hair.

I certainly don't think you need special "beard" products though. Any moisturizer would probably work just fine.

And for those with beards....at least trim up the frizzies and keep your neck line shaped as you grow it out. There is a big difference between growing a proper beard and just quitting shaving and letting it grow wild like a homeless person.

I had a beard for a few years. I washed it with regular shampoo. Usually put on a beard balm after I showered. That was it. I never tried any fancy products and so I can't comment on any of that stuff. I never felt I needed it.

Winter is starting so for the second year in a row I'm growing the hair and beard out to keep warm.

I've yet to delve into beard specific products beside some cheap balm because I dont trust I actually need it. I'll use soap or shampoo and sometimes face wash for under the skin to avoid ingrown hairs and so far its worked.

I've been researching this for a while and cant find any evidence that the whole "you need beard specific wash" isnt all just marketing ploy made by beard companies to trick you into thinking you need it.

In fact I have yet to find any information on what dudes used to clean their beards prior to the last 10 or 15 years when beard products became popular. From what I'm guessing everyone just used soap or shampoo to clean their beads before that.

Thoughts? Old heads chime in

Yes. That and penor pills are a grift. <Lmaoo>

i dotn even fjkuse an prouduct inmine and its heklthy af
i jsut let it od its thjing i dotn evne fgty it of after shower

I use beard oil if I’m getting cleaned up to go out, but I don’t bother day to day
When I first grew a beard I had to oil it daily as it was dry and itchy but after a while I stopped
Pussy Juice also helps

As far as the stuff that’s supposed to “stimulate” beard growth—probably. But I’ve noticed that when I use a good beard balm I get compliments on how good that it smells and I don’t get beard dandruff.

There are two things which you really need.

Oil for the skin - you can buy jojoba oil by the gallon. It is the base to most beard oils.

Cocoa butter - this is really cheap but you need it to protect your hair from going dry and getting split ends. Take a piece and rub it in your hair and then take a blow dryer to it to melt it. Comb it into your hear and then at the end wipe of the excess. This sounds really bad and greasy but it isn't. When it cools down, the hair will tend to stay in place and it is very well protected from drying out. Most beard oils in my opinion are alright but they shy away from being thick to not come off as greasy but that is exactly what you need on your hair to protect its scales. The end result is a soft beard that is well protected and stays in place. People with unruly beards have beards that are dirty and dry and maybe the hair has been damaged.

Third thing is don't wash it too often. Every few days is alright but washing it strips the oils from the hair and the skin and is generally bad for it.

Most of the commercial products you buy work but mostly are for scent. Buy some essential oils if you want a cedar smelling beard.

Last edited:
Yeah I have tried a few products and honestly I prefer regular shampoo and conditioner.

Beard oil (tea tree oil) isn't bad because I like the smell but it leaves your beard oily...so you're better off just opening it once in awhile and smelling it lol.

Beard/moustache wax is only good if you're going to braid or twist...which I don't do...hardly ever.

So I surmise....they are in fact a fucking ripoff sir ;)
I put some drops on my toothbrush

Back