Are Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes the only two competent strikers Ronda has faced?

TLSK

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Miesha is afraid of being punched, Cat Zingano is an okay striker, but she acted braindead against Ronda.

No, they're the only 2 ELITE strikers.

Kaufman and Davis were competent strikers and Budd beat Gina in kickboxing, Cat is a good clinch striker though not amazing at range, Miesha was never afraid of being punched before the Pennington fight and beat Eye standing.

Last edited:
Fighters like Davis, Carmouche, McMann and the rest of the bums she has fought are all wrestlers/decisionators.

I think McMann would give Ronda hell in a rematch too. That fucking girl is probably roiding now but her hands got WAY better.

Nunes is not an elite striker, she just has actual striking that the average person can't just block with their face. In the men's division, you fight these guys by letting them throw themselves off balance, and then you shoot, keyword SHOOT, for a takedown. Ronda is the female Royce Gracie. Nothing wrong with that, but she was delusional to think that her key to victory was improving her striking. Her key would have been developing a wrestling game that brawlers are generally poor at defending. Ronda has done Judo since birth, and probably hasn't seriously trained striking until he got ktfo by a woman who has been boxing almost as long as she's done judo. She doesn't have the mentality to evolve.

I think McMann would give Ronda hell in a rematch too. That fucking girl is probably roiding now but her hands got WAY better.
Why "now"? I won't make a guess either way but long ago I heard on another board that she squats 350 lbs, McMann being a brute is nothing new. She had freakish thighs in pics posted before fighting Ronda etc.

Holm was pretty much the only non soccer mom RRR had fought. Not even sure where nunes fits in. I think it was fairly obvious to a regular fan of the sport that it was only a matter of time that ronda would get surpassed and was only doing well because of the push she was getting.

Carano vs cyborg showed us that. Why do you think daddy dana kept cyborg so far away from ronda for all these years. Is he going to market a woman who likes like wanderlei? No. It had to be a chick that had some looks. PVZ Torres, Rose all little semi cute chicks who can barely fight. yet their the top of the food chain. Let's not pretend like sex doesnt sell anymore all of a sudden. Ronda got the push, now actual fighting women have shown up. time to disappear with the rest of those horrendous four horsewomen.

Ronda looked on CM Punk level in that fight. Complete amateur off the street vs your average MMA fighter. Total beatdown expected. What happened to her?

zingano was 'competent' but not great. she also threw herself at ronda way too aggressively so we never really even got to see any of her striking.

as mentioned above, holm and nunes are the first (by wmma standards) 'elite' strikers she's faced.

Why "now"? I won't make a guess either way but long ago I heard on another board that she squats 350 lbs, McMann being a brute is nothing new. She had freakish thighs in pics posted before fighting Ronda etc.

She looked a lot bigger in her last fight. Shoulders and arms anyway.

As far as being primarily a stand-up artist ? Yeah. All of Ronda's opponents were either heavily invested in the ground aspect or were so-so in the ground game/stand up. Then we had people like Beth who took a few mma classes to lose weight, fought a bunch of nobodies and then was called a KO artiest with no KO's.

I mean I guess in Meisha Tates case she's never been known for her great striking. It's her durability, decent wrestling and submission game that won her fights. It's not to say she didn't have good stand up. She had decent technique and she showed it during the Holly fight. Very aware of what Holly was doing. Tate's biggest problem is not having enough power in her shots. Ronda pretty much ate her shots like it was a Starbucks coffee special.

Ronda looked on CM Punk level in that fight. Complete amateur off the street vs your average MMA fighter. Total beatdown expected. What happened to her?
almost looked like a bar brawl where one person knew how to fight and the other one didn't.

then again, getting punched hard in the face pretty much right off the bat has a way of making you look bad .

Probably. However, for the longest time I had been waiting for someone to avoid the clinch and grapple with Ronda. I thought McMann had a chance until she got close.

Back