Are Fairtex gloves suitable for Western Boxing? (New to the sport)

Don't buy a bgv5^^^^^

There is a new improved version of the bgv9 bag glove available, I want a pair very badly. The bgv9 is an awesome glove. I also really like the bgv1 but I use them less and less these days as I'm not doig much Muay Thai right now.

I got a pair on its way Adam, it's custom too booya

There is a new improved version of the bgv9 bag glove available, I want a pair very badly.

I literally received my pair of BGV9 gloves the day that the new and improved version came out. Happy I got new gloves, kinda bummed I missed the upgrade

My $.02 for the OP

Since you're likely to be spending more of your time hitting pads and doing bag work at this stage, I'd go with a glove with firmer padding. The Fairtex BGV1's work wonderfully for me, as do several other Thai gloves I own (Windy, Top King, Sandee).

The Twins are bigger and a little more pillow-y. I like mine, but not so much for bag work. Good luck

My $.02 for the OP

Since you're likely to be spending more of your time hitting pads and doing bag work at this stage, I'd go with a glove with firmer padding. The Fairtex BGV1's work wonderfully for me, as do several other Thai gloves I own (Windy, Top King, Sandee).

The Twins are bigger and a little more pillow-y. I like mine, but not so much for bag work. Good luck

The gym recommended I buy a pair of sparring gloves and a pair of bag gloves... so I dont need to be concerned how they feel on a bag. As for pads i'll just copy which pair most people use around me i suppose.

As for bag gloves do these seem suitable?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWINS-Bo...U_Martial_Arts&var&hash=item27d32154b4&_uhb=1

It doesnt look like they'll have much padding or wrist support, so is this a bad thing or is it normal amongst these gloves?

Edit: Just noticed those bag gloves have an elastic wrist, so i'm not sure if i should look for something tighter? I would assume heavy bag work is the most taxing on your wrists

Yeah i was excited because I did love the bgv9 so much I wanted a better foam and the new one is supposed to be just that

I've never seen anyone actually use those style of gloves in my gym. Also, I think you're a little unclear on the difference between sparring gloves and bag gloves. For sparring, a concern is your partner - which is why we don't use smaller, lighter gloves as they could do more damage. So you'll need 16 oz gloves for that purpose. When you are working the bag or hitting focus pads it's fine to use a lighter glove. In my personal experience, for bag work I like a glove with firmer padding to protect my hands - one of my favorites are the 14 oz Fairtex BGV1, but other similar Thai gloves I mentioned aren't too different

Yeah i was excited because I did love the bgv9 so much I wanted a better foam and the new one is supposed to be just that

Yeah, the bgv 9 gets used more than any of my other gloves and mine are showing the milage. Time to order a new pair up.

The gym recommended I buy a pair of sparring gloves and a pair of bag gloves... so I dont need to be concerned how they feel on a bag. As for pads i'll just copy which pair most people use around me i suppose.

As for bag gloves do these seem suitable?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWINS-Bo...U_Martial_Arts&var&hash=item27d32154b4&_uhb=1

It doesnt look like they'll have much padding or wrist support, so is this a bad thing or is it normal amongst these gloves?

Edit: Just noticed those bag gloves have an elastic wrist, so i'm not sure if i should look for something tighter? I would assume heavy bag work is the most taxing on your wrists

No, don't get those, just get a pair of 10-12oz gloves. you don't need "BAG" gloves, you just need a separate pair for bag/pads and a clean fresh 16oz pair for sparring.

If you want a sweet glove for bag/pads, check out the fairtex bgv9.

No, don't get those, just get a pair of 10-12oz gloves. you don't need "BAG" gloves, you just need a separate pair for bag/pads and a clean fresh 16oz pair for sparring.

If you want a sweet glove for bag/pads, check out the fairtex bgv9.

hahaha, thanks for this! yes, i have obviously been very confused. Thank god for this forum...

Ok, i'll look for a not too expensive 12oz glove

Edit: would 8oz Fairtex (I think BVG1) be too small? I just found a not bad deal on ebay

Last edited:
hahaha, thanks for this! yes, i have obviously been very confused. Thank god for this forum...

Ok, i'll look for a not too expensive 12oz glove

Edit: would 8oz Fairtex (I think BVG1) be too small? I just found a not bad deal on ebay

Just FYI, if you DO go for a pair of specifically "bag gloves", go for a pair of "super bag gloves" -- they're essentially a standard pair of boxing gloves that come in different sizes (to accommodate different hand sizes) but are the same weight across all sizes (often 12 oz.). The foam is often denser than on sparring/training gloves, and the construction may have some features that will make them for more comfortable for you on the bags (but may be verboten as a feature on sparring gloves, such as a D-ring on the hook & loop or an unattached thumb). I personally use a pair of Title Classic Leather Super Bag Gloves that I for cheap at USD$24 out the door, and they work like magic!

Regarding the 8 oz. Fairtex gloves, whether they fit your hands or not depends on 2 things: 1.) you hand size, 2.) what model they are -- if they're the BGV1's, yes they'll probably be too small; if they're the BGL3's, then they'll probably fit OK if your hand isn't massive (but they'll be terrible as bag gloves because they're fight gloves, made for punching faces for 5 rounds instead of bags/mitts for dozens of rounds).

Plenty of guys at my BOXING gym use Twins gloves. In my opinion most Thai gloves regardless of brand are roughly the same quality (i.e. hand made, good leather, tight stitching, all

STAY AWAY FROM 8OZ GLOVES, any man/teenager needs at Least 12oz for training. Also keep away from those kind of flat wafer thin 'bag gloves'. What you want is two pairs of 'sparring gloves', one 16oz pair for sparring, and another pair of 12oz-16oz sparring gloves for bags & pads.

STAY AWAY FROM 8OZ GLOVES, any man/teenager needs at Least 12oz for training. Also keep away from those kind of flat wafer thin 'bag gloves'. What you want is two pairs of 'sparring gloves', one 16oz pair for sparring, and another pair of 12oz-16oz sparring gloves for bags & pads.

This and your previous post have been really helpful, thanks!

what would you think of fairtex 12oz BVG1s for bag work, and Twins 16oz for sparring?

(The fairtexs I've chosen simply because i found a good deal on ebay)

I just officially bought a pair of 16oz Twins Special gloves! Thanks guys!

Now i need to find some bag gloves.

Are there any well priced and nice looking boxing shoes on the market? At the moment I'm going barefoot

There is some terrible info in this thread generally.

As an aside here's a formerly local 15-1 professional using Fairtex BGV1s on the pads:

[YT]KMOm7BqX8Kc[/YT]

That kid can pop, huh? Not too shabby.

Any idea what kind of mitts are being used? They look pretty sweet.

They're Lonsdale Authentic Mitts and pretty popular here. They are priced about $80 I think off the top of my head. We use a pair at the gym that's been with us for a couple years, the lining has ripped up and some padding has even come out from around where the hand sits though it's still several of our coachs' favourite mitts to use. I have an iffy shoulder so it doesn't absorb enough shock for me, so I don't use it.

As for the 12oz fairtex it depends on your size. If your a smaller guy feel free, if not maybe look for some bigger gloves.

bear in mind you'll need to buy handwraps also...

As for the 12oz fairtex it depends on your size. If your a smaller guy feel free, if not maybe look for some bigger gloves.

bear in mind you'll need to buy handwraps also...

Hmm, yeah I am 6'2 and probably have average sized hands for that height, so maybe i'll just look for a bigger glove.

Also yesterday I ordered some Hayabusa elastic hand wraps so I'm all set for hand wraps at the moment. How long does a pair of handwraps typically last?

I had a boxing session yesterday, I cannot believe how tiring the conditioning work is! Either way i loved it, and felt really good after.

I need to practice my skipping, at the moment i can only do the standard two feet together together and jumping together.. I don't think they actually teach you the proper method so i might have to youtube that or something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back