Are Fairtex gloves suitable for Western Boxing? (New to the sport)

Btw, are u by chance in Sydney? If so, which gym do you train at?

Also, since you are in Australia, you should buy your gear off forzasports due to the cheap shipping. Go for the Ringside IMFs - I haven't heard bad things about them:

http://www.forzasports.com/p-11347-ringside-imf-tech-sparring-lace-up-boxing-gloves-white.aspx

I'm from Melbourne, but i have checked out forza sports and they have some pretty good deals there (mainly because of low shipping as you said)

I had a look at the Ringside and to be honest I dont like the look of them, which I know shouldnt play a huge role in my choice but if im using them every session I want something i like to look at haha

What are general opinions on Hayabusa Ikusas for western style sparring?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hayabusa...ial_Arts_Equipment&hash=item20e031aeb2&_uhb=1

edit: i think they maybe a bit too flashy for a begginer either way

Last edited:
wow, those are nice thanks for tracking them down!

the add says "perfect for bag and pad work" .... but you think they are definitely suitable for sparring?

Yes, they are one of the only gloves that I would label as "all purpose".

Hi LiftIt!

I bought a pair of the BGV1 a couple of months ago for kickboxing/muay thai.

First thing to say is that they are excellent gloves, great quality, by far the best sport equipment I ever owned...

But indeed they are made for muay thai, there are some small details that make them different from regular boxing gloves. They are smaller, but there is also a lot of free space inside for your hands, which is basically for doing the muay thai clinch. Another difference is that the side of the glove (the one where your pinky finger is) is pretty hard (more pad), which I understand is for blocking kicks and giving rotating punches....

I think you can use it for western boxing and they are great gloves, but they are made thinking about muay thai, and these small things might end up making a difference if you train intensively... Before these gloves I only had regular boxing gloves, and I really felt a difference.

Twins 16oz are the only gloves we're allowed to use for sparring at my gym (Thai gym), and they also do western boxing classes where the same rules apply so MT gloves can be used for boxing no problem.

And as a beginner I dont think it matters too much really, and if any gloves are too hard like you were worried about earlier just go on a heavy bag for a while and break them in :)

Twins 16oz are the only gloves we're allowed to use for sparring at my gym (Thai gym), and they also do western boxing classes where the same rules apply so MT gloves can be used for boxing no problem.

And as a beginner I dont think it matters too much really, and if any gloves are too hard like you were worried about earlier just go on a heavy bag for a while and break them in :)

I actually like this idea. Twins generally are good quality and the padding is such that if I had to choose a glove to get hit with, I would be ok with Twins.

Out of curiousity... What gym?

I actually like this idea. Twins generally are good quality and the padding is such that if I had to choose a glove to get hit with, I would be ok with Twins.

Jai Thai Boxing down in wellington mate

+1 on this. Hit me with a Twins all day long :)

wow, those are nice thanks for tracking them down!

the add says "perfect for bag and pad work" .... but you think they are definitely suitable for sparring?

They are, although I'd still keep a separate pair for pads and sparring out of courtesy for your sparring partner (and longevity of your gloves).

Jai Thai Boxing down in wellington mate

Nice. They had just opened as I was leaving the country. I never had the chance to visit but they seemed like a good gym with respect to cleanliness and professionalism.

Hi LiftIt!

I bought a pair of the BGV1 a couple of months ago for kickboxing/muay thai.

First thing to say is that they are excellent gloves, great quality, by far the best sport equipment I ever owned...

But indeed they are made for muay thai, there are some small details that make them different from regular boxing gloves. They are smaller, but there is also a lot of free space inside for your hands, which is basically for doing the muay thai clinch. Another difference is that the side of the glove (the one where your pinky finger is) is pretty hard (more pad), which I understand is for blocking kicks and giving rotating punches....

I think you can use it for western boxing and they are great gloves, but they are made thinking about muay thai, and these small things might end up making a difference if you train intensively... Before these gloves I only had regular boxing gloves, and I really felt a difference.

Wow, thanks.. very insightful!

I absolutey cannot believe how difficult it is to find boxing gloves that aren't made for MT. I'd love to hear some recommendations!

A few people have gone on to recommend Twins, but will these have the same drawbacks for boxing as the BGV1s have because they arent a western boxing gloves?

Would you be inclined to recommend these twins?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWINS-SP...U_Martial_Arts&var&hash=item27c5909517&_uhb=1

or the original BVG1s?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/22143818...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I hear so many good things about Faitex's construction...

Thanks heaps for the input guys! I'll be having to make my purchase some time this week

Edit: I just called the local fight store, he said BVG1s would be fine for sparring but hes not sure whether the gym would allow them.. and he thinks people would keep thinking I'm sparring in 10oz gloves instead of 16oz.

He recommended a brand (it might be their brand?) "Ace"... i asked him for more options he said Twins should be better for sparring than BVG1s.

The main problem with buying Twins gloves off ebay (where they are much cheaper than in stores here in Australia) is that all their gloves look the same and the ebay listings rarely use the same exact name as the Twins website, so I cant be certain which quality im buying really

Last edited:
That's stupid...people will think younarenaparring in 10s....show them the tag that says 16.

Totally disagree with Championstuff.

I see no problem in using BGV1s for boxing and have known plenty of fighters who have done just that. If your defense relies on having big gloves, then you are going to be fucked in this sport for a variety of reasons from the get go, and even as a beginner your defense shouldn't rely on that at all. Sparring is sparring. You aren't likely to leave the gym with a fat lip and sore jaw as someone just starting out anyway. You'd rather learn the skills of your trade right now than start relying on "big" gloves to cover up the holes in your defense, and even then your defense will still suck.

The gloves you use in eventual competition will be more similarly sized to the BGV1s. If you want to learn how to box properly and develop into a good fighter with a mind towards competition, you shouldn't be thinking about needing bigger gloves so you can have some ridiculous guard. If you're just a weekend warrior/hobbyist then of course use whatever you want that will give you a perceived make-believe advantage in sparring. The actual difference that the size in gloves makes to your guard is completely negligible. Even with bare hands you have a decent enough sized guard to defend yourself, considering an opponent wears gloves.

I think it's a really strangely misinformed thing to say that you need big gloves for boxing. It's not as if Muay Thai fighters don't also block shots with their gloves, especially when they potentially rely less on footwork and head movement for their defense anyway.

I disagree with Minow.

This is some of the stuff I used to own:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6685/pict0078ho4.jpg

I still have a pair of bgv1s and had a red 12 ounce pair as well. Frankly I think they suck ass for a pure boxing glove. They are made better than any other thai glove, its just the style is lame. Their lace up gloves are very good. Buy once cry once, buy cheap buy twice; get something good and dont look back, not a compromise.

I disagree with Minow.

This is some of the stuff I used to own:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6685/pict0078ho4.jpg

I still have a pair of bgv1s and had a red 12 ounce pair as well. Frankly I think they suck ass for a pure boxing glove. They are made better than any other thai glove, its just the style is lame. Their lace up gloves are very good. Buy once cry once, buy cheap buy twice; get something good and dont look back, not a compromise.

All the gloves in your picture are terrible for a brand new boxer. They are overkill and will put a big target on his back.

Fairtex > rival, amber, ringside/combat sports, title boxing/mma, hayabusa, everlast, aries > balazs. In terms of quality, efficacy, and lifetime. He just has to pick the correct model from fairtex: bge1 (all around), bgv9/bgl7 (bag/mitts), bgl3 (sparring)

There is some terrible info in this thread generally.

As an aside here's a formerly local 15-1 professional using Fairtex BGV1s on the pads:

[YT]KMOm7BqX8Kc[/YT]

Frankly I think they suck ass for a pure boxing glove.

Just because they aren't your preferred style of glove doesn't mean they aren't suitable for boxing. They aren't the kind of glove I like to use, either, but I won't discount the possibility that someone else will like them especially given how popular they are.

They are smaller, but there is also a lot of free space inside for your hands, which is basically for doing the muay thai clinch.

There are plenty of boxing gloves with overly large hand compartments, and that's not because you need that to make a muay thai clinch. And again there are a lot of Thai brands, Top King, Boon etc, which have smaller hand compartments than the norm. It doesn't follow to me that having a large hand compartment helps you clinch.

Another difference is that the side of the glove (the one where your pinky finger is) is pretty hard (more pad), which I understand is for blocking kicks and giving rotating punches....

Not sure what "rotating punches" are, but at any rate, you'll find Western gloves with equally stiff sides.

The factors which make the BGV1s your traditional Thai style of glove don't discount them from being used for boxing. The distinction between Thai gloves and everything else is overplayed too.

If you searched or googled that seller you would have found that plenty of people have bought from them in the past, and recommend them, as they are actually very well known. They are legitimate.

edit: and one google later, a link:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f16/best-website-buy-cheap-muay-thai-shorts-2492441/

Thanks for your help Minowafanatic.

It didn't even cross my mind to google an eBay seller.

I've read the G&E faq and will trust that elasticized hand wraps will be my best choice.

Now I just need to find some bag gloves, but I'll search for help from the trainers at the gym (even though i always think they will just push the brands they carry on me instead of necessarily the market leaders) ... my assumption is that the most important thing about bag gloves will be the wrist support (I'll see if googling yields results on what to look for in a good pair)

Let me chime in here because a lot of this information is getting out of control. Even though I currently do not own any, Fairtex is definitely a suitable boxing glove. There will be some off putting features though that people have no outlined which I am surprised. The Thai thumb is straight and some people feel that it is not comfortable. 2. Have a wide hand compartment 3. lack of a grip bar for the traditional BGV1, the BGV breathable however do have a grip bar. I believe they are tighter fitting which will remedy issues 2 and 3. 4. The weight is always off in my personal experience with Fairtex, other glove companies do this also, but it is an issue to be aware of; a 14oz glove will weigh 16oz. You can go 16ozs and be okay for sparring at 18oz just beaware you will be getting a heavier glove than advertised.

Now for the positives, The construction is good, the leather is good, they will be long lasting gloves. I personally prefer compact gloves so I do like this from Fairtex. The wrist feels really good.

The skinny: Every person prefers a different type of glove, no one glove is going to appease everyone, so just be aware every opinion will be subjective. Gloves are like shoes: some people have high arches, some normal, some flat, some skinny, some wide, some average sized. If you like the look of Fairtex go for it, I know Ironwolf loves Fairtex and uses them a lot. Some people aren't that big of fans of them, I wont mention any names.

The Ugly: STAY AWAY FROM THE BGV5 AT ALL COSTS!!!

Back