Are Fairtex gloves suitable for Western Boxing? (New to the sport)

Totally disagree with Championstuff.

I see no problem in using BGV1s for boxing and have known plenty of fighters who have done just that. If your defense relies on having big gloves, then you are going to be fucked in this sport for a variety of reasons from the get go, and even as a beginner your defense shouldn't rely on that at all. Sparring is sparring. You aren't likely to leave the gym with a fat lip and sore jaw as someone just starting out anyway. You'd rather learn the skills of your trade right now than start relying on "big" gloves to cover up the holes in your defense, and even then your defense will still suck.

The gloves you use in eventual competition will be more similarly sized to the BGV1s. If you want to learn how to box properly and develop into a good fighter with a mind towards competition, you shouldn't be thinking about needing bigger gloves so you can have some ridiculous guard. If you're just a weekend warrior/hobbyist then of course use whatever you want that will give you a perceived make-believe advantage in sparring. The actual difference that the size in gloves makes to your guard is completely negligible. Even with bare hands you have a decent enough sized guard to defend yourself, considering an opponent wears gloves.

I think it's a really strangely misinformed thing to say that you need big gloves for boxing. It's not as if Muay Thai fighters don't also block shots with their gloves, especially when they potentially rely less on footwork and head movement for their defense anyway.

+1, this, and a partial pwned.

Also,

Handwr

Do you guys have any idea what length rope would be appropriate for me to buy given that I am 6ft2 /189cm tall?

Do you guys have any idea what length rope would be appropriate for me to buy given that I am 6ft2 /189cm tall?

Depends on the rope, but I'm 6'4 and I use a rope thats 9'4

Back