Are Fairtex gloves suitable for Western Boxing? (New to the sport)

LiftIt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just started Western boxing and it's a requirement for everyone to have their own equipment (obviously). I have a few questions which I would appreciate help with from some of you experienced guys.

I will need 16oz sparring gloves and bag gloves. Now i've heard that leather is definitely the way to go.

1. Would Fairtex BGV1's be good for boxing? I've heard lots of great reviews but some have said they suit Muay Thai more. These are in the price range i'm comfortable with too. Otherwise if they're not suitable do you guys have any suggestions?

2. Could you guys suggest some not overly expensive bag gloves (I'm not even sure if these should be leather)

3. Is there any difference in quality of hang wraps. ie, can i just get the cheap ones off ebay or is it worth paying a bit more?

Thank a lot in advance, I'm just scared I'll get ripped off if I walk into a fight store with my lack of knowledge

1. No. they are too compact and your guard will suffer. if you are looking for good gloves for sparring check out ring to cage MIM gloves.

2. i normally just have two pairs of 16oz boxing gloves for bagwork so i probably can't help here.

3. I have found that nearly all handwraps are the same, except for everlast ones, they have a thinner velcro part. if you get "mexican" handwraps they will have stretch to them. they are the ones that i prefer.

1. No. they are too compact and your guard will suffer. if you are looking for good gloves for sparring check out ring to cage MIM gloves.

What does "too compact" mean? They are too hard/stiff?

I've been browsing ebay for a while, what about Title or Twins gloves?

Edit: These are the Fairtex's i have been looking at:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fairtex-...ting_Equipment&var&hash=item338ebe9200&_uhb=1

Here are the Title ones:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Title-Bo...ting_Equipment&var&hash=item3f365160fe&_uhb=1

If anyone can be bothered clicking the link i'd love to know whether these are decent or not. Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
They are too small for a 16oz glove. Padding is not great either. The BGV9 are great for boxing tho (bag work).

Of the thai gloves, the best ones for boxing IMO are the top kings. Long cuff, great wrist support, not top heavy.

i also like Title higher end stuff , ring to cage and ringside sparring gloves.

What does "too compact" mean?

they are too small. if you compare them to other 16oz gloves they look like kids gloves. if you were to go into a ring to spar with someone with those gloves on and being a beginner, you'd be eating shots all day.

sparring is meant for learning, but in that instance you'd learn how to eat and speak with fat lips and a sore jaw.

if you are looking to get a good pair of beginner gloves, out of the two gloves that you listed, the title ones would be better suited for your needs. however, i'm sure that those fairtex would be excellent on a bag.

they are too small. if you compare them to other 16oz gloves they look like kids gloves. if you were to go into a ring to spar with someone with those gloves on and being a beginner, you'd be eating shots all day.

sparring is meant for learning, but in that instance you'd learn how to eat and speak with fat lips and a sore jaw.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm Leaning towards these now from Title Boxing's official site:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-eternal-pro-training-gloves.html

and as for bag gloves:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-gel-exact-bag-gloves.html

I'm hoping someone can tell me if they would be suitable for a beginner? I'm not sure if calling them "Pro" training gloves is a marketing gimmick or actually means they wouldnt be for someone just starting like me

Thanks, really appreciate your help!!... I guarantee i would have bought the Fairtex BGV1s otherwise

So much thanks for the help!!

Last edited:
Totally disagree with Championstuff.

I see no problem in using BGV1s for boxing and have known plenty of fighters who have done just that. If your defense relies on having big gloves, then you are going to be fucked in this sport for a variety of reasons from the get go, and even as a beginner your defense shouldn't rely on that at all. Sparring is sparring. You aren't likely to leave the gym with a fat lip and sore jaw as someone just starting out anyway. You'd rather learn the skills of your trade right now than start relying on "big" gloves to cover up the holes in your defense, and even then your defense will still suck.

The gloves you use in eventual competition will be more similarly sized to the BGV1s. If you want to learn how to box properly and develop into a good fighter with a mind towards competition, you shouldn't be thinking about needing bigger gloves so you can have some ridiculous guard. If you're just a weekend warrior/hobbyist then of course use whatever you want that will give you a perceived make-believe advantage in sparring. The actual difference that the size in gloves makes to your guard is completely negligible. Even with bare hands you have a decent enough sized guard to defend yourself, considering an opponent wears gloves.

I think it's a really strangely misinformed thing to say that you need big gloves for boxing. It's not as if Muay Thai fighters don't also block shots with their gloves, especially when they potentially rely less on footwork and head movement for their defense anyway.

Last edited:
Totally disagree with Championstuff.

I see no problem in using BGV1s for boxing and have known plenty of fighters who have done just that. If your defense relies on having big gloves, then you are going to be fucked in this sport for a variety of reasons from the get go, and even as a beginner your defense shouldn't rely on that at all. Sparring is sparring. You aren't likely to leave the gym with a fat lip and sore jaw as someone just starting out anyway. You'd rather learn the skills of your trade right now than start relying on "big" gloves to cover up the holes in your defense, and even then your defense will still suck.

The gloves you use in eventual competition will be more similarly sized to the BGV1s. If you want to learn how to box properly and develop into a good fighter with a mind towards competition, you shouldn't be thinking about needing bigger gloves so you can have some ridiculous guard. If you're just a weekend warrior/hobbyist then of course use whatever you want that will give you a perceived make-believe advantage in sparring. The actual difference that the size in gloves makes to your guard is completely negligible. Even with bare hands you have a decent enough sized guard to defend yourself, considering an opponent wears gloves.

I think it's a really strangely misinformed thing to say that you need big gloves for boxing. It's not as if Muay Thai fighters don't also block shots with their gloves, especially when they potentially rely less on footwork and head movement for their defense anyway.

This. They are perfectly fine for boxing, both on the bag and sparring. I've owned 12's in Citrine that I used on the bag and Emerald 16's for sparring. I've since given both pairs away to a buddy of mine, but they were very much suitable for boxing.

Several fighters at our gym use thai style gloves. I'm not a huge fan of them personally as I prefer a mexican style glove, but they are 100% fine for use in western boxing.

I see lots of people using tem where I box at. Nth winding seem to be having a problem.

From the FAQ which it is advised you read before making a thread:

Q: What's the difference between Muay Thai boxing gloves and regular boxing gloves?

A: Thai gloves typically have shorter cuffs (although some prominent brands such as Top King, King and Boon don't) and more padding on the back of the hand for blocking kicks. They also open up well at the palm for clinchwork. Individually these traits are commonly shared by Western boxing gloves, and Muay Thai gloves can be used for traditional boxing without any problems and most of the time the reverse is true as well.

Can anyone tell me if these Title's are any good:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-eternal-pro-training-gloves.html

I'm also scared to look into Twins because nearly all their gloves are names 'Muay Thai...." so I'm not sure whether they would be any good for boxing

I think Pacquiao used Twins at one time. I also remember watching a Klitschko documentary and saw them both training in Windy's at one point. I myself boxed before going into Muay Thai and I used thai gloves.

please forgive me, i was using the heavies part of the forum that night while the fights were on and ended up using broscience in this thread. i normally don't do that. fairtex makes amazing equipment, their gloves were just too compact and small for me is all.

I think Pacquiao used Twins at one time. I also remember watching a Klitschko documentary and saw them both training in Windy's at one point. I myself boxed before going into Muay Thai and I used thai gloves.

00:56

Ok well in this case I suppose im back to looking at Fairtex and Twins... from reviews I've seen on these forums most people have loved the Fairtex's so I think I might look further into them.

So importantly will there be any problem of my gloves being too hard for my sparring partner? I don't want to have to buy another set of gloves if that ends up being the case

one thing to be aware of with fairtex bgv1's is that they don't have a grip bar. but with the way that your wrapped hands are inside of them that may not be a problem for you.

Also if anyone has any recommendations i would love to hear them.

If its relevant I'm from Australia and looking for something around $100

Edit:Baring in mind sparring will be their main use

Also i'm currently reading the faq on this forum and it is very helpful so thanks Minowafanatic

Last edited:
Ok well in this case I suppose im back to looking at Fairtex and Twins... from reviews I've seen on these forums most people have loved the Fairtex's so I think I might look further into them.

So importantly will there be any problem of my gloves being too hard for my sparring partner? I don't want to have to buy another set of gloves if that ends up being the case

I haven't tried the newer Twins (black logo) but I have tried the older versions (white logo). They are big and puffy so they will provide good protection for you and your partner. Problem is, like someone said, using such big gloves isn't necessarily a good idea.

I used to spar with Fairtex BGV1 and they were fine. Fairtex also has better construction and material (leather & Velcro) than Twins does.

Why not try out a pair of Fairtex BGE1's? They're basically the front end of a BGV1 + a grip bar + the back end of a standard Western boxing glove. I have a pair and I love them.

Back