Are Americans dominating the current era in MMA? Who is next?

Okay, what I meant by the Russian minorities example was they have a strong tradition in wrestling and Sambo. So they make Russia a wrestling powerhouse rivalling the US.

Western Europe seems weaker in every respect but boxing is more popular....American MMA is very hybrid...many fighters dont have strong bases and yet can be very effective with the right balance. If they have a base, its usually wrestling, not boxing.

My observations.

Rivaling the U.S.?

They are far superior to the U.S. and have tripled the U.S. in wrestling medals over each of the last 3 Olympics. That domination is even far worse if you factored in former Soviet Bloc countries.

In fact, Russia beat the U.S. in all combat sport categories in the Olympics : wrestling, boxing, Judo and Taekwondo. Once again, add former Soviet countries like Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and its not even close.

For example, Russia/Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan combined for 17 boxing medals. The U.S. had 3.

Rivaling the U.S.?

They are far superior to the U.S. and have tripled the U.S. in wrestling medals over each of the last 3 Olympics. That domination is even far worse if you factored in former Soviet Bloc countries.

In fact, Russia beat the U.S. in all combat sport categories in the Olympics : wrestling, boxing, Judo and Taekwondo. Once again, add former Soviet countries like Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan and its not even close.

For example, Russia/Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan combined for 17 boxing medals. The U.S. had 3.

Ok

Far from my point but thanks

What point

I wish you would read an entire exchange before jumping in,

But basically you can divide the MMA landscape into large general chunks based on base styles, coaching, and general strengths, weaknesses,...

For example wrestling being a strong base of many Russian fighters.

Jiujitsu being a staple of Brazil

America and Japan producing mostly hybrid, jack of all trades; master of none types

And coaching styles/gyms may be regionally similar, for example, the stereotype of the Dutch kickboxing training sessions.

I wish you would read an entire exchange before jumping in,

But basically you can divide the MMA landscape into large general chunks based on base styles, coaching, and general strengths, weaknesses,...

For example wrestling being a strong base of many Russian fighters.

Jiujitsu being a staple of Brazil

America and Japan producing mostly hybrid, jack of all trades; master of none types

And coaching styles/gyms may be regionally similar, for example, the stereotype of the Dutch kickboxing training sessions.

Well, actually you replied to something I said to someone else.......... so thats not really me jumping in. But anyway,

Russian/EE fighters aren't just a master of one discipline though, that's the thing.

They have tons of high level wrestlers, high level boxers, high level Judokas, high level combat sambo fighters (which is basically just MMA), and lastly, they have tons of high level MMA fighters. They just have tons of fighting talent across the board.

The main issue is visiblity. You just don't see that many Russians in the UFC compared to how many high-level fighters they have and therefore people tend to not think they exist. If you're an American, you can go 7-0 in a regional promotion and get a call up to the UFC. Look at Perry or Vannatta. 8-0 and 7-0 and already in the UFC. Meanwhile, you've got guys in Russia like Vitaly Miankov (18-0), Alexey Kunchenko (15-0), Vagab Vagabov (22-0), Murad Machaev (20-1), Alexander Sarvanskiy (35-5), Abdul Abdulavakhabov (14-1), Khusein Kaliev (17-1). Rasul Mirsaev (17-1), Khusein Ashkabov (14-0), Bebulat Magomedov (17-1, was actually signed by UFC at one point), Anatoly Tokov (24-3), Sergey Pavlovich (10-0), Stephan Puetz (15-2). could keep going on and on.

Its not that they aren't there. It's that they aren't here.

You also won't see a lot of these guys, despite their talent, simply because it is cheaper, easier, and will sell more if the UFC keeps picking up local regional guys and giving them a push. The UFC only wants to get draws.

Fook off!

481823.jpg

Dammit. I'm torn

Of course.

Because all the best Brazilian coaches moved to America.

Probably those western europe / Russia fuckers.

They've been fighting since forever, just now got somewhere to fight professionally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back