Apocalypse Now, now.

Incredible cinematography, it was made in 79 and looks like it could have been made this year

Did you know that he was too lazy to learn his lines, so Coppola fed him his lines through an ear piece while they filmed.

is normal for Brando. I love this scene in the original Supes. Brando does great. Williams' score is awesome. But Brando was straight up reading off cue cards kept there with the infant supposedly.

When Willard came out of the room after killing Kurtz and everyone fell to their knees I half expected him to settle in and take over the cult.

Such a great performance by Martin sheen!

Probably the definitive Martin Sheen role (I know some swear by the West Wing). He was awesome. Scary he almost died making that film.

Incredible cinematography, it was made in 79 and looks like it could have been made this year

For sure. Fantastic film, top to bottom. It's funny too because when I think of awards recognition for '79 and '80, you have best picture winners like Kramer vs. Kramer and Ordinary People, which, don't get me wrong, were very strong, well-acted films. But they beat absolutely iconic American films that have lived on as a classics of cinema in Apocalypse Now and Scorsese's Raging Bull.

Very atmospheric movie. I saw both versions. Wasn't there a rape scene in the redux where they find the downed chopper? Lots of disturbing moments in the film.

Very atmospheric movie. I saw both versions. Wasn't there a rape scene in the redux where they find the downed chopper? Lots of disturbing moments in the film.

There was a scene where Willard traded some fuel to get his team a couple of hours with the playmates in the downed chopper. Seemed like that group of soldiers had been pimping them out.
The playmates had gone insane and it was weird but there was no raping.

There was a body in a trunk which I assumed was the 3rd playmate...but not too sure.

What would you do if, a vicious enemy suddenly started running toward you, armed to the teeth and ready to kill you?

This isn't a Movie, dude where's my car is a movie, This is a film and it's a masterpiece. Clearly it's not "just another Vietnam movie," it contains elements from both Heart Of Darkness and Dantes Divine Comedy.

Coppola Turned out 4 masterpieces one after another during this era. GF1, The Conversation, GF2 and finally AN.

This is another master class in directing.

I like the Redux Version because i can't get enough of the Film and every extra scene is a Bonus for me.
Most added stuff is the French Plantation scene.The French colonized Vietnam and eventually had to leave, the US also tried to colonize Vietnam, that was the main parralel.

I'm sorry, but it'd be plastered with CGI nowadays.

For the longest time it was my favourite war film (and it's still up there), I love it. Just the style and surreal nature of it was so unlike other war films I had seen at that point. As someone said above it is a masterpiece, and it really turned me on to films as art rather than solely entertainment (though of courss it is a huge blockbuster, but it was the 70s).

On the one hand it is obviously a movie that is critical of the vietnam war, but it is more than that, it's a movie about human nature, what humans are capable of doing to one another and what lies at the "heart of darkness" in the human soul. That's why the archetypal journey down the river into that heart works so well being transported by Coppolla from 19th century Congo Free State to the Vietnam War.

If you liked it you should the read the book, it's just as good. Other movies you should watch are Aguirre: The Wrath of God, which was an influence for Coppolla (similar journey down a river, elements of madness, colonialism etc.) And Come and See, which is easily the most brutal war film I have ever seen, and is also extremely surreal.

I haven’t seen it in about 15 years, and have only watched it once, being the redux version. Found it good but horribly boring such that I’ve been a bit loath to give it a rewatch. It’s probably past time I give it another go.

I think it's the greatest film ever made.

For the longest time it was my favourite war film (and it's still up there), I love it. Just the style and surreal nature of it was so unlike other war films I had seen at that point. As someone said above it is a masterpiece, and it really turned me on to films as art rather than solely entertainment (though of courss it is a huge blockbuster, but it was the 70s).

On the one hand it is obviously a movie that is critical of the vietnam war, but it is more than that, it's a movie about human nature, what humans are capable of doing to one another and what lies at the "heart of darkness" in the human soul. That's why the archetypal journey down the river into that heart works so well being transported by Coppolla from 19th century Congo Free State to the Vietnam War.

If you liked it you should the read the book, it's just as good. Other movies you should watch are Aguirre: The Wrath of God, which was an influence for Coppolla (similar journey down a river, elements of madness, colonialism etc.) And Come and See, which is easily the most brutal war film I have ever seen, and is also extremely surreal.
Thanks man. Will definitely try to check those out

101-Apocalypse-Now-quotes.gif

Hi everyone.

I finally saw the movie "Apocalypse now" for the first time. It's a movie I had always heard was great but was never that drawn to watching until recently.

I found that it's a fantastic and also fantastical and kinda trippy war movie. Maybe it makes me dread ever being in a war more than any other movie, because it turns everyone insane or into animals.

I was hugely impressed by how well it holds up today. The bombing scenes were insane. Now of course a lot of movies have big explosions, but to have practical/real explosions on that scale, and shown so beautifully was actually freaking me out. Like "holy shit did they really do that?"
I don't think a studio would be allowed to do that nowadays.

Sadly when I'm watching the movie, about 2/3rd through there was a weird 30 mins sequence with some french guys arguing and shit. This almost ruined the movie for me.
Later when I checked I realised that I had watched the redux version which was 3h 16mins with 49mins added to from the original, including that whole sequence.

I can't wait to watch the original, and I expect it may become one of my favourite movies. However in the version I watched, it isn't.
-
What do you think of this movie and where does it rank among other Vietnam movies and war movies in general?

Cheers

I like it but wouldnt consider it one of my top movies. Ww1, vietnam, and korean wars are tough for me to have a favorite movie wise. I've looked for vietnam like crazy but im not a big fan of any of the big ones ive seen. Haven't seen deer hunter or good morning vietnam yet though.

It's an incredible film

Always gotta fast forward through the French plantation shit though

<JagsKiddingMe>

What do you think of this movie and where does it rank among other Vietnam movies and war movies in general?

Cheers

Excellent movie. I'd have it second only to Platoon as far as Vietnam movies go, and there are several good ones.

I have First Blood, Coming Home and Born on the 4th of July as sort of a separate post-Vietnam genre.

Probably the definitive Martin Sheen role (I know some swear by the West Wing). He was awesome. Scary he almost died making that film.

The West Wing is one of my favorite shows, Martin Sheen was fantastic in it, but yeah, Apocalypse Now. Definitely.

Back