Anyone still collect or listen to Vinyl records?

i have a modest collection of punk, blues/jazz, and classic rock, but my record player is currently broken. Latest additions were a pair of Sub Society 7" records
I'm thinking of buying a better record player but I'm not sure what I should get

Try to find a Technics 1200 on craigslist. They're discontinued because they never break, and more than good enough for all but the most discriminating audiophiles (read, guys who spend > $1000 on a TT alone) and I would say much better than any new decks out now in the same weightclass. The 1200 plus a decent cart should run you about $4-600.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying a better record player but I'm not sure what I should get

I actually have 2 right now. I have a late 60's marantz that is the match to my receiver. That one needs the swing arm fixed, its currently stuck in the UP position. I also have a newer sony, but I don't like the quality of the sound on it, so I rarely have it hooked up.

I have a pile of those hard and brittle 75 speed records from the 40s and 50s. They weigh a ton.

I had hipster roommates for a while and they had a decent record collection along with two record players. Doubt I would ever get one myself but the quality seems to still be superior.

I don't buy new vinyl, but I have my parents' old collection that is quite extensive and a lot of vinyls that I bought over the years. I just like the vintage sound, the ambiance created, when listening vinyl.

i have a massive collection of house/techno from 1990 onwards, i used to put on raves and play back in the day. get a few 12"s every now and then to fill in the holes of my collection.
most recent record i have is the new jack white, not because im a particular fan but the vinyl is amazing, its the first record with a hologram built into it. a hidden track + some other special shiz.
this vid talks about it

[YT]i-8B-_Jq2ro[/YT]

yeah I have been collecting for years, mainly punk/metal vinyls

I buy sell and trade on discogs

I have crates and crates and crates of old house and trance records from the 90s thru early-2000s. Plus I have my parents collection of records from the 70s and 80s.

Been collecting records for about 18 years (im a producer dj cratedigger) I sell records also..the trend comes and goes about every seven years. I collection mostly funk soul jazz and some psych rock aswell as library production records ..rare stuff is my specialty for my collection but I sell alot of beatles type stuff so I know about it (just not my thing)

Heres an example of some of my pieces

In the last year or so ive filters out alot of stuff and at last count im at 7000-8000 12" and 2000 45's
good side hussle also..I mark about two grab extra a month selling records online and privately. If you have bought records of ebay chances are I sold you one once.

I had quite a few when I was a kid. Mostly singles. A few albums. They all got burnt up in a house fire though. I never started collecting them after that.

I've thought about picking up the Technics 1200 for years and buying just my favorite albums on vinyl. I really like the warm of the sound.

I've never had a pro turntable. What's a good needle/cartridge recommendation for the 1200 for listening (not scratching)?

I have a pile of those hard and brittle 75 speed records from the 40s and 50s. They weigh a ton.

I've got a 78 of Rock Around the Clock. Sadly it's in three pieces. The bits are stored inside the sleeve of the Stones' Sticky Fingers (along with that LP), the proper zippered one.

I've thought about picking up the Technics 1200 for years and buying just my favorite albums on vinyl. I really like the warm of the sound.

I've never had a pro turntable. What's a good needle/cartridge recommendation for the 1200 for listening (not scratching)?

A technics is an awesome table (I have four) but im a dj so its a necessity to have its function s ..but if your just using a table to listen then u really dont need all that. A nice belt drive or regular table that plays 33/45 is all u need..good gold rca and nice needle cartridge setup will make your record sound best. I use a nikko np 800 right now thats awesome and only around 80$ . I also have a technics sl-d30 I really like that I found for five at a thrift store.. I put new rcas on it and I like it better then my technics 1200 soundwise. Needle and rcas will be the most important investment if your just listening to your records all the the other goodies are if your scratching and mixing.

And as far as needles cartridge goes..for listening I like a s hure white label or audio technica needles..first you have to settle on what tturntable you want and then go from there cause not all needles fit all tables. I use s hure m447s mostly and love them..im not an audiophile so to me they sound great.

People seem to like the Shure M97xe for $70. I have a Grado Gold on mine and I'm happy with the results. I'm considering getting a MC cart when I have the funds, but it's low on my priority list.

Check out audiokarma for some 1200 cart suggestions:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=407943

Can anyone recommend a basic, quality record player just for home use? Going to run it into my Sony receiver box and play it through the surround sound (if possible, the receiver box doesn't have a phono input).

My dad has a bunch of awesome vinyls that go unused so want an excuse to dip into those.

Last edited:
I have quite a large vinyl albums collection.

Got a lot of 45 rpm singles too

Can anyone recommend a basic, quality record player just for home use? Going to run it into my Sony receiver box and play it through the surround sound (if possible, the receiver box doesn't have a phono input).

My dad has a bunch of awesome vinyls that go unused so want an excuse to dip into those.

Audio Technica has the AT-LP120-USB, which is like the 1200 lite, difference being that the AT is about 80% plastic vs. all the metal in the 1200. It has a built-in bypassable phono preamp so you don't have to buy an external phono pre (use line out with your Sony receiver). It also has a USB output so you can hook it up to your computer. It's about $250 including a cart.

AT also has a belt driven tt for about $100.

Other option is to buy a used tt, and audiokarma has some sugestions:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=475226
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113284

Check reviews online before committing to a tt, as I haven't used any of the players except the 1200.

Happy spinning!

Back